What's new

"The Duke" (1 Viewer)

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
Well, The Searchers, Rio Bravo & The Cowboys have been out for a long time. Stagecoach from Criterion has been out for a few months. The Horse Soldiers and The Comancheros just came out and Rio Lobo & Big Jake are coming on 5/31. The Green Berets has also been out for quite awhile. That's the ones I can think of off the top of my head, if I've missed any I'm sure someone will chime in.

Real Name
Ransom Stoddard
There are far more John Wayne movies on Blu-ray than other western heros like Jimmy Stewart, Gary Cooper or Henry Fonda!

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I see there has been a few releases, but I want to know id what's left that would worthy of Blu-Ray and if there's any new editions in the works?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by darkrock17

I see there has been a few releases, but I want to know id what's left that would worthy of Blu-Ray and if there's any new editions in the works?

Well for me I would scarf up the following if they were on Blu. None are in the works as far as I know except maybe Red River.

Rio Grande

Red River

Fort Apache

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon

The War Wagon

The High and The Mighty

Sons of Katie Elder

In Harms Way

The Shootest

And his WWII Films

Also John Wayne played a major role in The Longest Day, which is out in Blu-ray, though not the best of transfers which is why most people pass over it.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I would love to see Hatari! Great African location photography in that one. Funny movie! The Hellfighters is another one I enjoy quite a bit. Kind of a soap opera, but still good. Oh and of course Donovan's Reef. Again great location photography in Hawaii, and another chance for Wayne to dabble in comedy, when he was very under rated at. How about The 3 Godfathers? Doug

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Oh and of course Donovan's Reef. Again great location photography in Hawaii, and another chance for Wayne to dabble in comedy, when he was very under rated at.

I love Donovan's Reef, and The Duke was great at comedy. Blood Alley with Bacall was another good one with slight comedic undertones.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I don't want to take away from his westerns (bring on The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance), but I would love to see The Quiet Man, They Were Expendable, Operation Pacific and the Sands of Iwo Jima all on Blu-ray.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Adam Gregorich said:
I don't want to take away from his westerns (bring on The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance), but I would love to see The Quiet Man, They Were Expendable, Operation Pacific and the Sands of Iwo Jima all on Blu-ray.
Agreed. I'd love to see some of his war films. Also The High and the Mighty looked great on DVD. I'd like to see it on blu-ray. Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
darkrock17 said:
The High and The Mighty was Airport before there was Airport and the 70's Disaster craze.
You want to really laugh, sometime rent Zero Hour (1957). It is the movie that they based Airplane on, and they used the dialog almost word for word, but Zero Hour is played straight. There were actually a few air disaster movies before High and the Mighty, but HATM did it best. Doug

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

. How about The 3 Godfathers?

Doug

3 Godfathers is a minority taste. Some, like me, love the movie. A lot of people think it's pretty weak. But almost everyone agrees that visually it is magnificent - Winton Hoch again by the way. If done right, it would look superb on Blu-ray.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Robin9

3 Godfathers is a minority taste. Some, like me, love the movie. A lot of people think it's pretty weak. But almost everyone agrees that visually it is magnificent - Winton Hoch again by the way. If done right, it would look superb on Blu-ray.

It's not weak to me as I try to watch it every Christmas Eve.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks