What's new

The Dresden Files (merged) (1 Viewer)

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Did anyone watch this week's episode? I did, finally, and I thought it was even better than the first one - it felt really well balanced to me. It had a cool mystery (the bodyswitching guy), and some nice character stuff, particularly that Harry himself seems such a gray character, willing to hurt Murphy (using dark magic/voodoo doll) to save her. I liked that that the Murphy/Dresden relationship is getting a little more fleshed out through that stuff this week.

Also, Bob remains absolutely awesome.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Hearing that the first episode wasn't the pilot helps a bunch. Count me as one who expected to see more magic.

The big problem, I see, was aluded to by others. I don't have a problem with limited magic in the show (budgetiary reasons) IF it's explained. I need paramaters.

Like the boot on the Jeep. He's a wizard. People expect a wizard to be able to remove a vechicle boot with a little magic. But he doesn't - why? The second episode was a little better by explaining that voodoo dolls are dark magic and could potentially cause problems. But a boot? Tell us magic isn't just "sprinkling pixie dust" and it take a lot of energy - energy he can't afford to waste on something as small as a boot - or he's given an oath or a promise that he use his magic in such a way - just give us something. Something that helps us understand how the show operates.

I'll keep watching, and hopefully they'll keep explaining. It has a lot of potential.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
The second episode was improved, but some rather lame plot details left a sour taste. It was mighty convenient that Murphy just happened to cut her hand on the doorknob when they needed a sample of her blood. I can think of so many other ways they could have fixed that plot point and not have been so obvious (like stopping off at her place for DNA - hair, etc) but the rest of the episode was very entertaining.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, search keeps timing out on me :frowning: I went back two pages and didn't see it. My bad. Delete the thread ;)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I like it. I've never read the books so the differences between the two do not bother me. I get the sense though that the episodes are a bit out of order. It has an almost Due South feel, but that may be due that it takes place in Chicago but is shot in Toronto.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I'm liking this show a lot more. Storm Front answered a lot the questions that I was asking (pilot, perhaps?)

It can still improve a bunch, but right now it's a nice little show with lots of potential.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I to am watching this. I agree it seems to be out of order. I like the show but I did have a question.

Have they shown/explained the deal with Harry using the Black Magic to kill someone. They just mentioned it in Storm Front, and we see flashes of it, but I don't remember the show mentioning this in the earlier episodes. Or at least not in so many words. Or, did I just miss it or forget it?

Corbin Stirn

Second Unit
I LOVE this show. It's my new guilty pleasure(apart from watching Enterprise now:)). Although VERY disappointed to find out it is filmed in Canada(though I was looking for where it was filmed when I noticed the Canadian flag at the end of the show). The show is great and I very much look forward to when it airs. I want to read the books now.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Love this show, and the books - both on their own terms.

I can't get people on the SciFi and Jim Butcher's own board having so much trouble living with both

Another one I'm looking forward to is Repairman Jack

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
almost fell asleep during the first episode, and i have grown tired of actors that mumble -- most often the case when a british actor tries to play a character with an american accent.

big thumbs down..

FeisalK

Screenwriter
i think the series is growing into its own.

other than episode 8 which was not supposed to be #8 (it was actually originally the pilot) each episode is progressively better than the last... don't give up on it yet! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks