1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Dream Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ike, May 14, 2002.

1. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Dreams have always fascinated me, and I think they deserve their own thread.

Post your weirdest dream, you funniest dream, the dream you had last night, etc. Ask questions here, post comments, generally anything about this interesting phenomena.

2. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

You first, Ike.
    I'm not so sure I want to open up the twisted little dark corners of my mind right yet [​IMG]

3. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Adding to Andrew's dream description in the other thread, I've had many dreams in which the doorway is larger than the door itself so that I am unable to close the door, and the monster or whatever is able to pass through.

~T

4. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Early Monday morning I woke up to find myself naked. My nightshirt was bunched up at the bottom of the bed. Never happened before. I have no idea what I was dreaming, but damn, it must have been good![​IMG]
    It figgers...looks like a finally had a good dream and I can't even remember it![​IMG]

5. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Oh might as well [​IMG]
    I had this one a few nights ago. It's not my weirdest one by a longshot, but maybe you all will enjoy.
    I dreamed I was part of a colonization team heading out to another solar system. We landed on a large satellite of a Jupiter like gas giant. It had a breathable atmosphere but no surface water. There were however extensive underground oceans.
    The surface was dry and parched. It was a grayish/yellowish color. The sky was a very faded blue. The colony was being constructed out of pre-fabricated buildings that came in the most awful blue and green colors. Yuck, was the place ever so tacky looking. Partly to get away from the tackiness, as well as the hordes of bratty kids running around, I went out exploring to an interesting mountain range some distance away.
    The mountains looked like a large plateau rising several hundreds of feet above the plain. As I approached, I noticed interesting features on the cliff face. It look like running water had carved deep rivulets into the rock. But there is no surface water or rain on this planet. I got close and the structure appeared to be actually made of closely spaced tubes, each several hundred feet high.
    At this point, the entire cliff face and 'plateau' began to move. Out of the tubes came strange creatures somewhat like tube worms with crinoid like heads as well as large eyes.
    At the same time I realized I was unable to move, I began to "hear" them talking. They did not talk to me, but I could 'overhear' meanings as they communicated among themselves. They seemed rather amused and amazed at how primitive and undeveloped I was. At the same time they were somewhat annoyed at our colony so as they conversed, some of the others wiped it out without much effort. (I have no idea how, just that the feat was accomplished.) They turned their attentions back to me and then I woke up.
    I think it fair to say my dream self came to a rather messy end.

6. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Wow, Julie, that's weird!

7. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Hehe, my dreams are cool sometimes
    Dream 1: I car jacked a new model Dodge viper and drove it on the street, but for some reason the brakes didn't work yet it accelerated fine. Whenever I drive a car, the brakes never work.. I think this could be due to my car accident when I rear-ended some guy about 2 years ago. (and of the brakes didn't work fast enough to stop me)
    Dream 2: Had a recurring nightmare of a large waterfall shooting electricity and water down. As I stared at the waterfall from the lake below the volume increased and increased of roaring water until I couldn't stand how loud it was and woke up scared and sweaty.
    Dream 3: My one memorable nightmare was that of a stuffed panda sitting in a blank open space with a snall squirrel in front of him. Then the small squirrel gave an evil spine chilling grin with evil eyes and began to jump up and down. The squirrel kept jumping up and down faster and faster laughing as the panda just sat there. I was so scared of both the panda and the squirrel I tried to run up to them and hug the panda in hope of waking up.
    Dream 4: Dream I had this morning was I went to a girls house in the snow and she had a big dog. The dog was nice to me until the girl said "SHIVA" and then the dog growled and became evil. Don't ask me why "shiva" was the trigger, all I can remember of that name is a beautiful ice goddess in FFX.
    Dream 5: I also had a dream I had to fight my best friend and he's a tai kwon do expert. He wasn't ready to fight and I kicked him real hard and began beating him down and throwing him around. He never hit back because I kept beatin him into submission so he couldn't recover. I felt real guilty yet I kept hitting him cause if I stopped I feared he would break my neck.
    Dream 6: I had a dream that my subwoofer wasn't calibrated right and I demoed them to my friends. Wait, this was real and just last sunday. [​IMG]

8. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

My one reoccurring dream is one of the most linear, story oriented dreams I've ever had. Also, it's the only dream I think I've ever had where no one was in it I knew, including myself:
    It's the early 1800's or so in England. Everyone drives around in carriages and on horseback, and has the traditional dresses.
    There's a couple, and the man abuses the woman. Several times, I see this woman get beat up pretty badly. But they carry on a normal social lifestyle, and go out, despite the fact that she's pretty bruised up.
    When they get home, he beats her even worse. When he goes to sleep, she gets a gun. She kills him, and gets rid of the body.
    The next day, all the townspeople tell her how sorry they are that she lost her dear husband. She goes to the market, and on the way there, their carriage splashes through a puddle of water. In it, is the dead husband's face. She thinks she sees it, but she just shakes it off.
    That night, in the wood of their house (don't aske me, it's a dream), she sees his face. She realizes that he is haunting her, and she begins to go crazy. She takes the gun that she killed him with and shoots herself.
    After she kills herself, she too becomes a ghost. I remember seeing that puddle that she had seen his face in the first time, and you could make out him beating her up. The abuse continues....
    It's an odd dream, and not too happy either, but it's the only dream I can remember having twice. Just for the record, my father wasn't abusive. [​IMG]

9. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

I have this reoccuring "nightmare" where I am back in college going through football practice again, and just feeling like "oh s**t" the whole time. And I rationalize inside the dream that I am too old, smaller and weaker than before and that I am going to get slaughtered.

Everytime I wake up from this dream I just think, "oh thank god its just a dream".

A really wierd dream I had a few weeks ago was what I call "Midnight Express 2". Somehow I get stuck behind enemy lines in Turkey or somesuch and I disguised myself as one an amry soldier and passed my way through most of the country and wouldn't you know just as I got to the border all hell broke loose. And I all the sudden had one of those rifles like Arnie had in Predator. And I end up leveling the whole army and making my way to freedom.

It was one of the most detailed dreams I have ever had. And one of the wierdest too.

-- Matt

10. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I might as well post this here instead of digging up the old lucid dreaming thread, as I had a great lucid dream last night. I was aware I was dreaming right from the start, and was playing a game where I'd find a piece of paper, read it, and it would give directions to the next piece of paper, and so on. After finding a couple pieces I said, hey I'm dreaming, let's see if that reading thing really happens, so I looked at the piece of paper twice and it said something different each time. Yep, I'm dreaming. The heck with this game, I'm gonna fly! So I flew through a window (I always seem to do that when I have flying dreams, I pass through a closed window), and I flew high, in fact higher than I've ever flown before in a dream. The trees were really small down there. It was amazing. That's all I remember, I probably woke up afterward.
    It's interesting that this thread was waiting for me this morning to post this, one of my most lucid dreams in a long time. I wonder if it came about from reading the other lucid dreaming thread. HTF--it's taking over my life! [​IMG]

11. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

Well, my dreams are pretty random: I was up in the forest near my house on a hiking trail that I use sometimes that has this amazing view. Only it wasn't a hiking trail anymore, it had been converted into a huge waterslide type thing, with pretty deep water and the bottom was light blue like a swimming pool.
    Then I saw that it was some type of new extreme sport where people rode down the slide on surfboard-like boards. I had a maroon Pontiac minivan to drive up and down the trail (which is impossible, it is too narrow, but whatever, it's a dream). At one point in the slide there was a sharp drop-off and the people riding down the stream had to bounce off this wheel on a stick that was mounted in the ground in order to keep going, and it was my job to keep the wheel spinning.
    Then I drove in my minivan to my high school, where I discovered the school had been changed into a huge metal building. Inside the building all the students were lying on this round staircase, moaning and telling me they had been infected with anthrax, and I had to go get the cure. So I hopped in my van and got the cure everyone lived happily ever after, and I woke up. [​IMG]
    Weird, huh?

12. Hugh Jackes

Hugh Jackes Supporting Actor

Hugh Jackes
    My wife and I are acquainted with a beautiful woman named Teri. I've always had a bit of a crush on Teri.

Last week, I dreamed that Teri and I both lost our spouses through accidents and we consoled each other (platonically). As the dream progressed, we started to date and got very close. We started talking marriage and then I thought of her taking my last name. Although it's pronounced with a long "A" Jakes, many people mispronounce it with a short "a" Jacks. In my dream, I started laughing at Teri now having the name of a 70s on-hit-wonder pop singer Terry Jacks. I actually woke myself up laughing.

All the next day I had this song running through my head "We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun..."

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Do we dream in color, or what we think is color in dreams?

14. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I most certainly dream in color. I don't think I've ever had a dream in black and white.

I also have a sense of smell in my dreams. That was demonstrated in a dream that included some freshly opened graves.

15. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Dreams are derived from experiences, therefore all our "senses" can be fully involved in dreams. Therefore, you can see (in color and 3-D), hear (in full 6.1 discrete surround [​IMG]), feel, taste, and smell, just like in real life.
    I know I dream in color, because when I have lucid dreams it's the colors that are vivid. It's hard to have vivid colors in a black & white dream. [​IMG]
    But, do we experience dreams in their Original Aspect Ratio? [​IMG]
    KJP

16. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I used to have a recurring dream that Godzilla would stomp my nieghborhood into the ground.
    Lots of dreams about running from people-the law, vampires, ninjas, monsters whatever.Recurring dreams of very large bad tempered sharks. Dreams that take place around the GW bridge,horrible dreams about my town etc
    I had a dream once I was protecting Christina Applegate from cyborgs and when I was going to face them, and most certainly my doom,I asked for a goodbye kiss and she made a face like it was a inconvenience [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I woke up laughing-freaking wierd.
    I dont look into them too much. I think its just random thoughts-whatever is on your mind really.I even had a dream about Carvel Ice Cream cake before.

17. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I think some dreams have meaning, but most do not. People that wish to analyze dreams assuming that there are a universal set of symbols are going down the wrong path, IMO.

I keep having dreams about some people I used to know. It's now become the constant theme. Argh....

18. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I had an interesting dream last night.

However, after I woke up I wanted to slap my subconscious silly. Overall it was an intriguing and fun dream, but there was one bit that I'm ashamed that my subconscious let slip by.

Amyway...I dreamed I went to the moon. There had been a seismic event on the moon and a vast underground cavern had been exposed. I was chosen to go and investigate.

Much of the dream involved getting ready to explore the cavern which I won't relate here (kind of boring really), but once I got inside, wow. I went down through many layers and reached a level where there were many organic chemicals. I went deeper into the cavern and there found a heavily armored, segmented, many legged arthropod. Naturally I was excited. Thrilled even. I left the cave as fast as I could back to the lander to try to get this critter into some sort of container. Unfortunately, as I left the mouth of the cave, a gust of wind blew it away.

Wind?

(OK, this is the point where I want to punch my subconscious. I didn't even pause to consider the impossibility of the wind. I am so disappointed in myself.)

I was crushed. My little critter was gone. Despondent, I went back into the bowels of the cave to see if I could find anything more interesting. And boy, did I...

I started digging around and found a femur. A human femur. Clearly, it had been here a long, long time. Looking around, I started to find the rest of the skeleton. It had been scattered in a manner that suggested a rather unpleasant end for the owner. I eventually found the torso which still contained remnants of the original clothing. Which was a spacesuit. Which upon further examination showed remarkable similarities to my own. In fact, it was my own.

Whoa.

I considered this with a great deal of thought. About the only thing I could come up with was that I was soon to go through some sort of tunnel in time to a very early moon where something unpleasant was going to happen to me millions of years before the present time.

I pondered this and then my dream ended.

Damn. I would have loved to have this one go further.

But I'm still pissed about the wind part.

19. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I dreamt that I was trapped in my garden, because my two cats had the ability to morph into tarantulas, and still retain their feline jumping skills. I'm arachnophobic to an almost biblical degree, so naturally I couldn't go anywhere near the house, since they were guarding the back door.

Weird huh?

20. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Paul,

That's weird, but I have to laugh. I had a dream a while back that would probably really bother arachniphobes.

I dreamed I was sticking my hand into some sort of container. When I pulled my hand out it was covered with large black spiders.

This did not bother me at all. In fact, I was so intrigued that I proceeded to eat one of them. MmmmmmmMmmmmm. It was very tasty and I then ate all the rest of them. Yummy.