The Douglas Fairbanks Collection (Kino) any reviews?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mark Walker, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer

Jan 6, 1999
    This DVD boxed set has been out now since Tuesday
    and I have yet to see any reviews of the DVDs, in
    particular, The Thief of Bagdad which is a personal
    favorite along with the 1940 version.

Any comments regarding the quality of these?

2. Roderick Gauci

Roderick Gauci Stunt Coordinator

Mar 3, 2002
    The only online review I know of can be accessed here:

Unfortunately, I have already purchased all the titles in the collection (and all of which I recommend highly, by the way) individually - but I just might upgarde two of them nonetheless, namely ROBIN HOOD (1922) and THE THIEF OF BAGDAD (1924), due to the fact that they feature new transfers, longer running times (the reviewer himself is not sure, however, whether this is due to added footage or simply the adoption of a different, and presumably more accurate, frame-rate this time around!) and the addition of a few choice supplements. The rest of the films in the collection - THE MARK OF ZORRO (1920)/DON Q, SON OF ZORRO (1925), THE THREE MUSKETEERS (1921) and THE BLACK PIRATE (1926) - are identical to the earlier releases, except that the latter two will now come in keepcases. For some reason, Kino opted to leave out the only other two Fairbanks vehicles available on DVD, i.e. THE GAUCHO (1927; which I haven't watched myself) and THE IRON MASK (1929; in my opinion, one of his best films).