The Doris Day Show

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by JeffWld, Jun 29, 2005.

1. JeffWld

JeffWld Stunt Coordinator

Just posting a few initial technical observations re: The Doris Day Show release:

1. Despite some initial rumors by enthusiasts of the show, this set has not been struck from original elements. The source material is the Worldvision distribution versions from the 1980s. Each show is time-sped to clock in at approx. 24 minutes which shaves approx. 1:24 off the original running time. This doesn't mean that the program content is cut, only time-sped. This is most noticeable in the opening and closing theme segments where the music has some of the "underwater effect" that usually occurs when time-speeding (aka "The Worldvision Warble").

Those with large-screen fever may find that the frame jitter that is also a byproduct of time compression can be slightly distracting at times.

2. The discs are authored in such a way that each episode is a chapter stop within a single stream of 8 episodes. From the top menu, you can select any specific episode, however your elapsed time display will be cumulative as opposed to specific to each episode.

2. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    There are a few scene transitions here and there that make me inclined to believe that at least a few episodes are edited. Some prints might be from the late-70's syndication versions.

While I'm disappointed that, contrary to earlier reports, the transfers don't appear to be from the original elements, I'm glad to see the show released at all, however. And I loved Doris' appearances on "What's My Line?" A very nice addition.

Not having seen the shows since about 1978, I didn't remember the first season too much. Overall, I was surprised to see how sweet the performances were, even on the lamer episodes. The two kids were real finds.

3. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    One thing I just realized, not that it really matters as it's a done deal. The initial reports about the sets being prepared from the original negatives surfaced when Paul Brownstein Productions, Inc. purchased the rights to the show. That's the same company that put out the great Dick Van Dyke Show sets. However, his name appears nowhere on the packaging or the episodes, as it does on TDVDS. Perhaps he sold the DVD rights to MPI (or all the rights) and they decided it wasn't financially viable to strike new prints. It's a bit disappointing, but it's still such a treat to see all the episodes again. Much better than not having them available at all.

4. JeffWld

I think that was another case of the Doris Day enthusiasts getting their facts a little mixed up. Brownstein actually owns the rights to the Doris Day specials, not the TV series. There is currently some discussion that release of these specials is under consideration, however the usual issue of mu$$$$$ic clearances is always the stumbling block.

5. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    No, it's not about the Doris Day enthusiasts. Several print sources and Paul Brownstein's website itself (www.tvclassics.com) listed The Doris Day Show as one of his properties, separate from the TV specials. Also, the clips of the series used on the "E! True Hollywood Story: Doris Day" clearly said "Courtesy of Paul Brownstein Productions" on them at the time it first aired (I haven't watched it the last few times it aired to see if that's changed).

It's more than being considered. There is a small "Coming Soon" promo with a brief clip of the first special on the Season One DVDs at the end of one of the discs (can't remember which one.)

6. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    Here's one of the print sources from the time, Variety's Army Archerd column of 2/4/2002:

That explains why his name isn't on the DVD set.

7. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Well, this DVD set is off my list.

8. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe

Mine, too. It was ON my list -- now it's OFF. The same goes for the already-announced Season Two, which I assume will be more of the same.

I guess the "reasoning" for these companies is: The loss of sales from the small percentage who know and care that these episodes are time compressed doesn't equal what the expense would have been to do it right in the first place.

Or, to put it another way: The expense of doing it right would be greater than the small increase in sales from people like us who would have bought it, but now won't.

In other words: There just aren't enough people in the world who care or know enough about this subject to ensure that the DVD companies do it right in the first place! And that's the problem.

I was talking online to someone who got "Alf," Season One, and I told him they were cut, syndication episodes. His response: So?

9. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I've never seen this, but was going to buy it to check it out. However, I won't buy it if it's time compressed, just like I don't buy dvds with PAL speedup. Oh well, if it's ever done right, I'll check it out then.

10. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

My set is already in the mail (I pre-ordered it months ago, before I read about the speed up).

But, is it THAT bad? I realize that they SHOULD be done right the first time, but to be honest, this is a show I have never seen. I've never seen reruns of it or anything. So, I wouldn't even notice any edits.

At least the first season, Doris wasn't even a fan of the show. In her autobiography, she states how unhappy she was with the first season. But then, she took control for the second season, changed the locations and liked it a lot more. Maybe they will do that season correctly.

11. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    Jon, I don't think it's THAT bad, although I know many people don't like any editing at all, and I understand that.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the episodes again, edited or not. My bigger disappointment was the quality of the transfers. They're not dreadful by any means, but I had hoped they'd look as good as The Mary Tyler Moore Show episodes. The main titles show the most wear, but the episodes themselves look okay, jut not spectacular.

It's a fine set, and the extras are a nice touch.

12. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

I got it in the mail today.

If anyone here is a Doris Day fan and are NOT buying it because of the speed up, go out and buy it.

The set is only $27 at Amazon (maybe cheaper elsewhere) and the extras alone are worth it. The What's My Line segments alone are worth the price. Very entertaining. Plus, all sorts of other clips.

And the transfers look fine. The show isn't exactly at the level of MARY TYLER MOORE, but they are perfectly watchable. I didn't notice any speed up.

13. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

It's great to see this show again. I saw it briefly during the 80s on CBN, but this is definately one show that was not rerun to death like Gilligan or Brady Bunch when I was growing up, so its new to me. It reminds me of one of those quiet, preachy sentimental sitcoms along the vein of "Family Affair," or "The Farmer's Daughter." I also recognized a few character actors that had also guested on other shows, so if you're a fan of 60's sitcoms, than buy it. Also great extras: interviews, and a highlight from season 2. I was never a big fan of Doris Day movies, but I noticed she has peculiar speech patterns. You see, she likes to take long. . .pauses... during the middle... of her sentences. It takes some time. . .getting used to.. .but its kind of. . .charming. Did she talk like this. .. in her films?

14. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Actor

Mark
    Doris Day Show Season Two arrived today. The episodes again run 24 minutes, with some scene wipes that look suspicious.

15. JeffWld

All seasons of "The Doris Day Show" will likely be taken from the Worldvision syndication transfers.

16. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Actor

Mark
    I purchased Season Two and the first disc had a defect. During episode 4 the picture pixelated and froze up. I tried it in several machines....same problem in all. I returned it and the new set has the same problem in the same place.

Has anyone else experienced this?