What's new

The Doris Day Box (1 Viewer)

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Happily got an early copy of the Doris Day Box. I've checked out a bit of Jumbo, which looks pretty terrific, and has a wonderful 5.1 track (the overture is included, too).

Love Me or Leave Me looks good, but I've only just glanced at it.

Will check out Please Don't Eat the Daisies and the others soon. Well, I lie - I couldn't resist looking at a little of Tashlin's The Glass Bottom Boat - looks swell.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Any "Doris Day Collection #2" that might eventually hit the streets should, IMHO, contain these two crackerjack Doris Kappelhoff entries (circa 1956 and 1960, respectively). :) ......

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Can't wait for the Doris Day boxset- anything with her is always worth watching, but Love Me or Leave Me is perhaps her best dramatic role.
It seems we are being spoilt this year with Doris' material (perhaps to celebrate her 81st birthday!).
With regard to Julie and Midnight Lace-yes please, but they won't appear in the same boxset as one is owned by Warners and the other by Universal.
Also would like to see On Moonlight Bay,By the Light of the Silvery Moon, Move Over Darling, Romance on the High Seas- in fact everything she made (only about 30 films I think).

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Would love to see all of her films, but especially Starlift whch disapeared from tv about 25 years ago.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I'm sure that her Warner Bros. musicals, starting with Romance on the High Seas will make up The Doris Day Signature Collection, whenever that may get released.

And another vote to Universal for releasing Midnight Lace.

And it's about time, too. I think a lot of people either forget, or didn't know, that Doris is still the number #1 female box office champ of all time. The number one spot is almost invariably held by a male, and Doris managed to take it 4 times. And there doesn't seem to be a woman in sight right now who'll equal that record.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
JohnMor,

I love Doris too but regarding "And there doesn't seem to be a woman in sight right now who'll equal that record" though Doris currently shares the record, along with Betty Grable and Barbra Streisand, of being on the box office top ten moneymakers more times more than any other actresses with each actress making the list 10 times, Julia Roberts who is still in her prime has currently made the list 9 times and it's a safe bet that unless her career takes a serious plunge, she'll not only make a 10th appearance but also an 11th.

For the record, John Wayne is the all time male box office champ with 25 rankings on the all time top ten box office stars list. Curiously, Wayne didn't make his first appearance on the list until 1949, ten years after Stagecoach but then became a constant fixture on the list in the 50s, 60s and early 70s.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Thomas T: The Box Office poll figures I've seen from Quigley are somewhat different from the ones you quoted. They've been running the annual list since the 1930's and they list Doris as the only woman in the all-time top ten box office draws (#10) with 10 appearances on the annual list, 4 at the #1 position.

Betty Grable comes in at the all-time #13 with 10 annual appearances, 1 year at #1; Julia Roberts is the all-time #22 on the list with 9 annual appearances, 1 year at #1. And lastly Barbra is the all-time #25, with 11 times on the annual list, but only peaking at #2.

So, I still stand by my statement that as far as the annual box office polls go, I don't see a woman CURRENTLY on the horizon to challenge Doris' ranking. Julia would have to jump up 13 places, which would be A LOT of years as the nation's #1 b.o. draw, and at this late stage in her career, I just don't see it happening when she's only made it to #1 once so far.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I want this big time but I havr to wait due to financial stress. Can you tell me, are there any bonus shorts in this set? I know the feature films, but I am curious as to if Warner is continuing their bonus short programs and just what is added here.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Love Me or Leave Me, Jumbo, and The Glass Bottom Boat all have either shorts or featurettes included, along with a couple of cartoons. Lullaby of Broadway has a Doris trailer gallery. The others only have trailers. Of course, The Pajama Game has what the previous release had, a cut number.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Just to clarify, WHV stated that "Storm Warning" is coming in 2006, without any hint of whether it's early in the year or not.

Crawdaddy

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
The next three weeks there are Doris Day releases:

4/19-Teacher's Pet
4/26-Jumbo, Love Me Or Leave Me, Please Don't Eat The Daises, Glass Bottom Boat.
5/3-With Six You Get Eggroll

Looking forward to these.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
And on www.tvshowsondvd.com I was amazed to see that season 1 of The Doris Day Show is coming out I think in June....I never expected to see that. What's the deal--for years, nothing, then suddenly the gates are broken wide open?!

Charles H

Screenwriter
Would that the Doris Day box or Errol Flynn box included the final scene of IT'S A GREAT FEELING (1949), in which Doris Day marries Errol Flynn. It would make a great cross-promotional marketing Easter egg.
Day also did a cameo with Gordon MacRae in a 1953 Joe MacDoakes short "So You Want A Television Set."

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
ArthurMy: Can you tell me if the Calamity Jane and The Pajama Game transfers are the same as the previous editions? I'm assuming yes, with the probable dropping of the fullscreen on the flip side of TPG. Thanks.

And I'm mighty jealous of you being able to nab these, as well as Teacher's Pet, early!

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
I got lucky. ;)

Yes, Calamity and PJ Game appear to be the same transfers with the same small extras. I'd already gotten rid of the older DVDs, but it looks exactly the same to my eye, although the cover art is much nicer-looking on the new issues, plus no snappers.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I picked up a "used" copy of "Teachers Pet" last week, in a resale record store. It a terrific black and white transfer.
I just found the "Doris Day Boxset" . I can't wait to check out the discs!!!!
Fox, how about "Move Over Darling" and "Do Not Disturb"?

RyanZ

Stunt Coordinator
Why would you want Do Not Disturb? There are many other Doris Day films far better than that clunker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks