What's new

The Doors - Perception CD+DVD-Audio Box (1 Viewer)

Tommyc

Grip
I just received my copy yesterday and have to say there is no option to listen to the discs in DTS or DD. When I choose setup of the DVD-A discs my player has two choices - Advanced Resolution Surround Sound (PCM) or Advanced Resolution Stereo. I have a Denon 2200 player and it does not identify either format when playing the discs. I checked my player with another disc identified as recorded in DTS and the DTS light came on for that so it is not my player. Is there some secret to identify the DTS versions or is this a quality control problem??

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
The DTS/Dolby Digital options are available to DVD-Video players. DVD-Audio players (like yours) will only show the hi-res 96/24 "Advanced Resolution" options.

Warner/Rhino have in the past allowed one to browse with the "Group" button, and you may get access to the lossy options that way with your player.

Tommyc

Grip
Thanks, Felix. I had no idea I now need another DVD player to listen to these tracks. I'm thinking huge ripoff here since every other DVD and DVD-A with DTS encoding plays fine on my player except for this release. But thanks for the tip for "Group". I'll try that.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I saw the same thing on my Denon 2910, but figured that I needed to hit the "audio" button to change the options.

I've only listened to a few tracks, but from what I've heard, the DVD-A tracks sound NICE. :D

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
IIRC, most, if not all DVD-Audio titles show only DVD-A content in the menus of DVD-A players. It's the way the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders interact with the navigation, I believe.

If you have a DVD-A player, there really is no need to go down to the lossy DTS/Dolby Digital options (which are included for standard DVD players that can't play hi-res tracks). What's the point (except for reviewing a disc)?

Enjoy!

Tommyc

Grip
Thanks Felix and Ron for your helpful comments. I was able to access the tracks through the Group and Audio buttons. I wasn't used to having to use them and thought everything was accessed through the main menu. Finally, the DTS versions of the songs are astounding! Thanks again!

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Wel, I don't have my DVD-A player hooked up for surround, only stereo, so I was just wanting to check out the surround mix.

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator

Can't you just go into the setup menu on the Denon and change the DVD setting from "Audio" to "Video" to see the different audio options? This should be in the last setup category.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil

Miles

Second Unit
I was able to find a copy at my local CD shop yesterday... looking forward to the chance to listen to it.

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
I don't understand what this package is.

DVD-A...these are CD's, right? They'll play in my CD player?

is anybody else disappointed in the DVD content of this package? The fact that they've left off many great TV appearances, such as Light My Fire from The Jonathan Winters Show and People Are Strange (the complete set) from Ed Sullivan?

Plus, on YouTube, I saw a short interview with Jim Morrison in 1970 about his thoughts on his trial. Morrison looked great - short beard. Its archival footage such as this that I'm wishing to get on DVD, and they just won't release it!

Maybe Soundstage Performances II will come out in 2007.

Back to Perceptions - is the sound quality of the songs better, worse, or the exact same as what was on the Complete Set that was released a year or two ago? I'm looking for the Ultimate Light My Fire sound quality.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Each of the studio albums has a separate DVD-A and a separate CD disc. The DVD-As will play on a DVD-A or DVD-V player but not a CD player.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

Every DVD-A player I have has the option to change the player to recognize the DVD-V portion of a DVD-A. It is different on each, but I have never seen one that can't do it. Unfortunately I am not familiar with the Denon DVD-2200 but as Jeffrey R states, it should be a menu setup option.

Chris

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Very good to know that I can now utterly ignore this particular release, as I have no inclanation of upgrading any home theater equipment just to satisfy one artist with an un-dead icon as a frontman.

I love the doors to death - but this will not do. No, this will never do. I want the highest quality CD's that can be - and they're out there for old bands, I've heard em, I've seen em! One-Hit wonder bands have gotten better treatment than the doors ever did (unless the Complete Box Set is that great, but I think it could be better). I want the best, but not the next best technology in order to hear it.

In short, give me the best with what I got, as I know it can be delivered. If Paul Revere and the Raiders can sound superior, then so can the doors.

Plus, release the unreleased, already, will'ya?! We've only had to wait 40 years!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong but aren't all the CDs remixed as well? They won't sound as good as the DVD-As but expecting them to is like demanding a DVD look as good as a high definition disc- it's not possible.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I think your right Travis. I would have to check, but I'm pretty sure that Botnick comments in the liner notes of the first album that it's the first time it sounds right on CD.

I'm very pleased with the set. The DVD-V 2 channel and DTS both sound fantastic on these discs.

As Far as the viseo content, they're special features, not the main course.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D

Remixed,sounding different. Remastered,sounding better{ot not]

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
My friend Steve Guttenberg (audio reviewer, not actor) raved about this box set tonight and he's very selective. Just moved to the top of the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks