1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Doors - Perception CD+DVD-Audio Box

Discussion in 'Music' started by Felix Martinez, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

Did a search and can't believe there isn't a dedicated thread on this one...

Just rec'd the final product after spinning an advance copy for about a month.
    Gets my vote for release of the year. A phenomenal, if not perfect, set. I would have opened the surround mix a bit more for the first album, but I understand the decision not to.

Here are a couple of pics of the final product.

Here are some of my thoughts re the Perception Box. Please forgive the piecemeal tidbits...if anyone has any other Qs, I'll answer them if I can.

Perception's Track Info
    Hi-res info, thoughts on the debut album's 5.1 mix
    About the first album running slow and flat, finally corrected! More on sound quality.
    More on the 5.1 mixes. Note: I meant "expressionistic" in my post (i.e. aggressive surround use).
    About Botnick's reverb use in the remixes
    Thoughts on Waiting For The Sun and Strange Days
    Comparing the CDs, on re-mixing
    On audio options
    Comparing L.A. Woman: Perception and the old DVD-A

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Thanks for the comments. This was probably the among the biggest (if not the biggest) hi-rez releases of the yr. I was looking forward to. I'm not at all disappointed to hear about an ambient surround mix. For the most part, that's all I like anyway. I find most more aggressive surround mixes distracting from the music.

3. Felix Martinez

No prob! Once you get past the first album (recorded on 4-track), the others (8-track) do have immersive surround mixes - the core band still in the front, but definite discrete surround activity.

4. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Henry Gale

Oh. Please. Stop!
    A LOT of Doors fans are sixty now, not six.
    I'll buy this for the music. I'll be embarrassed about the container.

5. Felix Martinez

LOL, I wouldn't worry about anyone making fun of you for having this set on your shelf! Heck they might even want to look at it more closely [​IMG]

6. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

It's a bit pricey.

7. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I'm really tempted to pick this up! It's been ages since I listened to the Doors, this might be a great way to revisit their catalog.

8. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil

Yes - that's becasue it is a CD/DVD-A of each album. I really wish they would just sell the DVD-As and CDs separately. Same with Mark Knopfler's "Sailing of Philadelphia." I've never listened to the CD. Neil Young's "Greatest Hits" which includes a 24/96 DVD and a CD as well. I did use the CD in that to make a CD-R for the car while I listened to the DVD but never listened to the CD itself. That's the music business. I ordered it but may never even play the CDs unless I decide to make a CD-R for the car. It would be nice (at least from my point of view) if they dropped the list $5 for each disc and didn't include the CD but it's not going to happen. I'll take good hi-rez of mainstream stuff no matter what format (except for DualDisc). The pricing may drive me away from a couple of things but I'll live with it as it's better than not having hi-rez.

9. dany

dany Supporting Actor

D
    I just sold my LA Woman on DVD-A because i got a DCC disc and it sounds so much better.

10. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

If nothing else, it’s nice to have them to be able to rip to an iPod yet still retain the remastering.

11. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Felix,

All I can say is “WOW!!!” Thanks for the in-depth review for the Perception box set. I had a lot of questions going in, but I went ahead and ordered it anyway thinking that someone on these boards would review it and give everyone the head’s up. While I’ve never been a huge Doors fan (i.e. someone that can listen to an entire album all the way through), I do like a handful of their songs and hearing those that I like in glorious hi-rez was enough to put me over the edge, especially given the dearth of hi-rez releases this year. Thanks again!

12. Felix Martinez

You're welcome; thanks for the nice comments. My bonafide review will be in the next issue of HDTV Etc., but I couldn't resist commenting on it informally [​IMG]

13. JimmyMac

JimmyMac Auditioning

James Mc Connell
    Hey Felix,
    Thanks for the early informative review. I'm on the fence whether or not to buy this boxset. I currently have all the Doors studio CD's with the 96/24 stereo mix. They all sound great. I also have LA Woman on DVD-Audio which just beats out the 96/24 stereo CD by a hair. What are your thoughts?

Again thanks for answering all inquries.

Jim

14. Felix Martinez

Even if mastered in hi-res, stereo masters are downsampled to 441/16 for CDs.

In addition to the surround mixes, the new 40th Anniversary hi-res stereo mixes of all the albums are making their debut in this set (exception - L.A. Woman).

L.A. Woman's surround mix from the old DVD-A is re-used in Perception; however, I did notice that the hi-res stereo mix is less dynamically compressed (mastered) in Perception than in the older L.A. Woman DVD-A, so the edge goes to Perception.

Lots of other goodies in the set. Too much to cover in one post!

15. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

?? CD is only, and can only ever be 16/44.

16. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Sounds like the first album suffered from the same fate as one of the sides on Miles Davis' "Kind Of Blue." Great that it finally got corrected!

In reading some of the feedback on the AVS thread, I have one question…are the discs true “Dual Discs” with all of the mixes (redbook, DTS, DD & DVD-A) on one disc or are they “Double Discs” with redbook on one disc and the DTS, DD, DVD-A mixes on another?

17. dany

dany Supporting Actor

D

LOL Oh come on,your wrecking all the fun.

18. Felix Martinez

Each album = CD + DVD on separate discs.

19. JimmyMac

JimmyMac Auditioning

James Mc Connell
    Thanks Felix for the correcting me on the 96/24 downsampling to 44/16 for CD.

20. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Sweet! Thanks, Felix!