What's new

The Doors DVD Audio (2 new releases) question (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jesper, I have no idea, but I am extremely curious. Are we to believe that WEA is looking to release two Doors titles but doesn't know which ones? :confused: Let's just hope that they do something here.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
I'm very happy with LA Woman DVD-A but it's probably one of my least favorite Doors albums. I would love to see "Morrison Hotel", "Waitning for the Sun" or "The Soft Parade" on DVD-A. I think the songs on these albums would be excellent opportunities for surround remixing.

Ralph

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I would guess one will be the new Absolutely Best of, and the second one will probably be either their first album or a sampler of the mail order live albums.

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
I think we all can guess until we see press release.. But I would LOVE to see/hear "Morrison Hotel" Gimme... :)

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
Wouldnt it be kinda cool to have, An American Prayer on DVD-A.. I mean hearing Poetry while being surrounded by the tones of the music..

that'd be cool :emoji_thumbsup:

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
I'm very happy with LA Woman DVD-A but it's probably one of my least favorite Doors albums.
Strangely enough, I feel exactly the opposite.

LA Woman is one of my favorite Doors albums, but it is easily the worst DVD-Audio disk I own.

I did a careful comparison to the remastered CD, which was remastered by the original engineer/producer from the original master tapes, and the remastered CD is clearly superior to the DVD-Audio disk, amazing as that may seem.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I did a careful comparison to the remastered CD, which was remastered by the original engineer/producer from the original master tapes, and the remastered CD is clearly superior to the DVD-Audio disk, amazing as that may seem.
Funny, as I felt the complete opposite when I compared my remastered CD to the DVD-A version. The DVD-A provided a much clearer presentation capturing nuiances that were not as apparent on the CD version. You got me thinking though, so maybe another comparison is in order when I get some freetime. Of course the CD doesn't have a multichannel mix either, which was very nicely done on this disc.

J

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I greatly enjoy the L.A. Woman DVD-Audio stereo track. The 5.1 track is another story. I just don't like the presentation.

As for upcoming releases, if it's The Doors, I'll buy it. :)

Trina

Agent
I realize it wouldn't be a big seller, but I'll second the vote for An American Prayer on DVD-A.

T

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
[c]A Short Story[/c]
During the summer of 1969 I was still in close contact with an old girlfriend from Beverly Hills. She was "best friends" with one of Henry Mancini's daughters. I was in radio at the time and in those days stations seemed to get promos of all albums. It didn't seem to matter what your format was, the product just rolled in. One Sunday a UPS truck rolled up and the driver handed me a box that contained Abbey Road, in a blank cover, pre-release. A cover letter explained that some stations had received early copies through unsavory methods and the company wanted us all to have them, "But would we please wait 'til release day to play them." But that's not part of this story.
The girlfriend told me that Mancini, being Mancini, received test pressings and had one of a new Doors album. And she was mailing it to me.
It never came. She insisted that she'd sent it. Lost in the mails.
As the years went by, everytime a new Doors album was released I'd ask her, "Is this the one?"
"No," was all she said.
More recently as we seem to have pretty complete info on the career of the group, I tend to think she was full of shit.

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
When I first did my comparison of L.A. Woman DVD-A versus the CD remastered from the original master tapes by the original engineer, I did not spend much time with the Stereo DVD-Audio track.

So, after the comments in this thread, I went back and just compared the Stereo DVD-Audio track to the remastered CD.

Frankly, there is something odd about the Stereo DVD-Audio track on this album. There is the impression of more detail, yet some parts of the sounds of instruments are missing. There is also the typical characteristic of recent remasterings where everything is more detailed, yet "flat" and lacking solidity.

I'm reminded of comments made by the engineer who did the Peter Gabriel SACDs, where he said that they had gotten partway through with the project, and then better equipment arrived and they started over. The Doors "LA Woman" sounds like a remastering project where the better equipment never arrived...

Bill Bird

Auditioning
I put off getting LA Woman for the very reasons cited here if any Doors album deserved first class DVD-A treatment....
My interesting Doors story- shortly after getting LA Woman a friend of mine, being a Doors fan, played the snot out of it. He had a two year old little brother, and one rainy stormy day he passed his little bro' staring out the window as the lightning flashed and the rain came down to hear.. "Widers on the storm... ", the kid barely spoke and here he was softly singing to himself a Doors tune, ahhh the power of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks