What's new

THE DONNA REED SHOW: SEASON 5 (1 Viewer)

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
HunterMan said:
Those are awesome special features...I don't see that many interviews with Shelley regarding the show...it's always Paul. I'm not pleased at all about the edited episodes...but maybe with those cool extras I might eventually decide to get the new MPI set. I'll think about it. ;) Thanks, Mark, for the added info of what's included on the set! :)

I pretty much know the answer to this question...but is there even still at least "talk" between MPI and Sony to at some point get Seasons 6-8 released to DVD?
Drew: The discussions have stopped between MPI and Sony for the moment, but they are suppose to resume the talks after these first 3 Seasons of "The Donna Reed Show" have all been re-released.

And you're very welcome for the added info which concerns the Special Features! :)

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Greg2356 said:
Drew: The discussions have stopped between MPI and Sony for the moment, but they are suppose to resume the talks after these first 3 Seasons of "The Donna Reed Show" have all been re-released.

And you're very welcome for the added info which concerns the Special Features! :)
I truly hope and pray the talks/negotiations between MPI and Sony will resume at some point! :blink: If Sony is supposedly wanting to see how well the re-releases of the first 3 seasons sell before considering allowing Seasons 6-8 to be released, then I'll buy the re-releases from MPI--syndidcated versions or not. Thanks for the info!

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
HunterMan said:
I truly hope and pray the talks/negotiations between MPI and Sony will resume at some point! :blink: If Sony is supposedly wanting to see how well the re-releases of the first 3 seasons sell before considering allowing Seasons 6-8 to be released, then I'll buy the re-releases from MPI--syndidcated versions or not. Thanks for the info!
I think MPI was pretty well burnt out by the negative response from Sony Pictures in not cooperating with them in allowing MPI to have the rights to these final three seasons in regards to "The Donna Reed Show." Seasons 4 and 5 which have been put out on dvd by MPI, have done quite well in sales! The fans of this show are becoming very impatient though with their desires to get hold of these last three seasons on DVD, but there is nothing that can be done until Sony agrees to the licensing out of the 35 mm prints for digital conversion. Until this takes place, we are all painfully on hold from being able to view these final seasons which of course are Seasons 6 through 8! It's indeed a very exasperating situation!!

"Me-TV" has tried to help out as well, by making an effort to get these very last seasons released from Sony since they had wanted to contract all these later episodes from "The Donna Reed Show" so they could air them on their television network in order to make the series complete! And the fans of this show have also been writing into "Me-TV" with all of them asking the same similar question to the effect of: What is the reason after the Trisha character has been introduced onto the series during the latter part of the Fifth Season and just when Shelley Fabares is about to leave the show, that "Me-TV" always continues to return back to the beginning of the series with season 1 instead of moving forward to the next season of this show?
These final missing seasons from "The Donna Reed Show" are frustrating everyone all the way around!!

Furthermore, even "Antenna TV" some years back when they had just begun, actually did try to get these last three seasons of "The Donna Reed Show" to air as a separate package of reruns on their TV Station, but Sony Pictures bulked at the very last minute even though "Antenna TV" had already announced that "The Donna Reed Show" was definitely going to be scheduled among their program list of classic shows. So this is a problem that has been continuing on for a pretty long duration of time with Sony holding these final three seasons of this TV series hostage. Some even suggested jokingly, that the fans of "The Donna Reed Show" should possibly start to physically knock on Sony's doors demanding that these last 3 Seasons be released!

Oh those REBELS!! lol ;)

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Greg2356 said:
I think MPI was pretty well burnt out by the negative response from Sony Pictures in not cooperating with them in allowing MPI to have the rights to these final three seasons in regards to "The Donna Reed Show." Seasons 4 and 5 which have been put out on dvd by MPI, have done quite well in sales! The fans of this show are becoming very impatient though with their desires to get hold of these last three seasons on DVD, but there is nothing that can be done until Sony agrees to the licensing out of the 35 mm prints for digital conversion. Until this takes place, we are all painfully on hold from being able to view these final seasons 6 through 8! It's indeed a very exasperating situation!! "Me-TV" has tried to help out as well, by making an effort to get these very last seasons released from Sony since they had wanted to contract all these later episodes from "The Donna Reed Show" so they could air them on their television network in order to make the series complete! And the fans of this show have also been writing into "Me-TV" with all of them asking the same similar question to the effect of: What is the reason after the Trisha Character has been introduced onto the series during the latter part of the fifth season and Shelley Fabares is about to leave the show, that "Me-TV" always continues to return back to the beginning of the series with season 1 instead of moving forward to the next season of this show?
These final missing seasons from "The Donna Reed Show" are frustrating everyone all the way around!!

Furthermore, even "Antenna TV" some years back when they had just begun, actually did try to get these last three seasons of "The Donna Reed Show" to air as a separate package of reruns on their TV Station, but Sony Pictures bulked at the very last minute even though "Antenna TV" had already announced that "The Donna Reed Show" was definitely going to be scheduled among their program list of classic shows. So this is a problem that has been continuing on for a pretty long duration of time with Sony holding these final three seasons of this TV series hostage. Some even suggested jokingly, that the fans of "The Donna Reed Show" should possibly start to physically knock on Sony's doors demanding that these last 3 Seasons be released!

Oh those REBELS!! lol ;)
Sony has always been a problem with getting a lot of their older shows released to DVD...even when there is a large enough fanbase demanding them. It's almost like they know lots of fans want these shows...so they're just not going to release them. It's like Sony has their own form of ODD (Oppositional Defiant Disorder--because I've been asked or told to...I'm not going to do it). ;)

I'm hopeful that someday those last 3 seasons will be released...but in reality I'm not holding my breath.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
I'm sure if Shout Factory were the ones releasing Donna and not MPI, things might stand a better chance. Sony has not done business with MPI before and perhaps don't want to commit themselves to another independent studio; not worth the hassle, etc.

Rumours are that Sony has been having financial problems and every time I hear this stated it seems we get a bountiful of Sony catalog titles from Shout (it happened back in 2010 with Facts of Life, All in the Family, etc). The suits are being too difficult IMO and should be grateful someone is expressing interest in one of their long-dormant titles.

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
I agree with both HunterMan and Kasey...

And Yes, Shout Factory does have a very good relationship with Sony. It's too bad things have to be so glum when it comes to these final seasons ever seeing the light of day. I was hoping beyond hope that this situation could possibly work itself out in a very positive manner so as to finally get these elusive seasons released, and then the true blue fans of "The Donna Reed Show" could truly breath a sigh of relief and joy!! I guess we have to be grateful with what we've gotten thus far with the release of five seasons of this series! I still have a glimmer of hope though that these negative events could possibly turn around, but unfortunately it's not such a very strong feeling of hope at this very moment. I will definitely continue to pray for the very best to occur...
Nevertheless, I just had a revelation, because I do know what the major negative force is that is keeping Sony from releasing these last few seasons of Donna's show to MPI. I will pray in a different direction now since we still have this small window of opportunity open to us for something positive to take place with this seemingly impossible situation. And if worse should come to worse 'God forbid' with the doors completely closing on any further negotiations to take place in regards to releasing these final seasons, I'll be sure to let everyone know about it here on this forum. And if there is in fact some *Good News* taking place, I will certainly be sure you are enlightened as well with sharing a very jubilant type of information!! :)

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Greg2356 said:
I agree with both HunterMan and Kasey...

And Yes, Shout Factory does have a very good relationship with Sony. It's too bad things have to be so glum when it comes to these final seasons ever seeing the light of day. I was hoping beyond hope that this situation could possibly work out in a very positive manner so as to finally get these elusive seasons released, and then the true blue fans of "The Donna Reed Show" could truly breath a sigh of relief and joy!! I guess we have to be grateful with what we've gotten thus far with the release of five seasons of this series! I still have a glimmer of hope though that these negative events could possibly turn around, but unfortunately it's not such a very strong feeling of hope at this very moment. I will continue to pray though for the very best to occur...
Nevertheless, I just had a revelation, because I do know what the major negative force is that is keeping Sony from releasing these last few seasons of Donna's show to MPI. I will pray in a different direction now since we still have this small window of opportunity open to us for something positive to take place with this seemly impossible situation. And if worse should happen to come to worse 'God forbid' with the doors completely closing on any further negotiations to take place regarding the releasing of these final seasons, I'll be sure to let everyone know here on this forum. And if there is in fact some *Good News* taking place, I will certainly let you know about it as well!! :)
So can I ask...what is the "major negative force" that is keeping Sony from releasing these last 3 seasons to MPI/DVD? :blink:

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
HunterMan said:
So can I ask...what is the "major negative force" that is keeping Sony from releasing these last 3 seasons to MPI/DVD? :blink:
GREED On Sony's part. In other words, they want $$$ from MPI for licensing rights in the millions. They're every bit bad as the Michener estate (Adventures in Paradise) and Walter Mirsch (Wichita Town)!!!

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Steve...O said:
Greg2356 - thank you so much for these updates and keeping us in the loop. Do you know if MPI will be including English subtitles on their Donna Reed releases?
Hi Steve, it took me a long time to get back to you because I couldn't seem to get a definite "answer to your question" from the powers that be... Yes indeed, the season 1 release has English subtitles!! :) I think the rest of the re-releases concerning Season 2 and Season 3 will most likely have them too!!

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
swan4022 said:
I found the interview at the end of Season 5 with Paul and Patty Petersen to add new appreciation for her presence. They reminisce about the episode where Mary finally accepts Tricia as her sister (quite touching), and also how Patty was going to sing on the show if not for the JFK assassination (the song was going to be about him, so I guess that would have been for Season 6). I'm glad they were able to include the interview as a bonus in the Season 5 set, as well as a couple audio clips of songs that were intended for the show but didn't make it in.

Just like in real life, families change, I guess we have to accept change even in the fantasyland of the Stone family who we all love to visit.
Yes, that was a good interview with Paul Petersen and his sister Patty Petersen! I would have loved to have seen that episode where Patty/Patti sings the song about John F. Kennedy. It would have been so pleasing and emotional to watch. I had told Patti myself, that I wished this particular episode had aired! Even though Patti is a very private person, she has written to me some very heartwarming and kind response messages. And I sure had completely enjoyed and loved the scene in the episode of "The Donna Reed Show" entitled, "Three is a Family" where Mary & Trisha finally get together, it was so great to see them experience a real bonding of emotions.
I didn't find the episode where Trisha comes into the family which was entitled, "A Way of Her Own" to be unusual at all! Trisha's Uncle Fred whom she had previously lived with was away a lot of the time because of his work, and so Trisha was a very lonely child who longed for a close knit family of her very own! So why wouldn't the character Trisha want to follow the Stone family home from the park? I know that I sure would have if I were in her situation. Trisha had felt the Stone family was the ideal family to fulfill her deep emotional needs of her desperately wanting and needing a family. My own family had always been a lot like the Stone family. And when my siblings and myself had pretty much grown up, my parents took in a 5-1/2 year old male child into our home since his parents were divorcing and had planned to put him into foster care. Our family had a lot of compassion just like the Stone family, and so we all did everything in our power to give him the family which he so desperately had needed!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Greg2356 said:
Hi Steve, it took me a long time to get back to you because I couldn't seem to get a definite "answer to your question" from the powers that be... Yes indeed, the season 1 release has English subtitles!! :) I think the rest of the re-releases concerning Season 2 and Season 3 will most likely have them too!!
Thank you! Great news. Perfect for late night vieweing with the volumn down. Thanks also for your continued updates on these releases.

swan4022

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron
Greg2356 said:
Yes, that was a good interview with Paul Petersen and his sister Patty Petersen! I would have loved to have seen that episode where Patty/Patti sings the song about John F. Kennedy. It would have been so pleasing and emotional to watch. I had told Patti myself, that I wished this particular episode had aired! Even though Patti is a very private person, she has written to me some very heartwarming and kind response messages. And I sure had completely enjoyed and loved the scene in the episode of "The Donna Reed Show" entitled, "Three is a Family" where Mary & Trisha finally get together, it was so great to see them experience a real bonding of emotions.
I didn't find the episode where Trisha comes into the family which was entitled, "A Way of Her Own" to be unusual at all! Trisha's Uncle Fred whom she had previously lived with was away a lot of the time because of his work, and so Trisha was a very lonely child who longed for a close knit family of her very own! So why wouldn't the character Trisha want to follow the Stone family home from the park? I know that I sure would have if I were in her situation. Trisha had felt the Stone family was the ideal family to fulfill her deep emotional needs of her desperately wanting and needing a family. My own family had always been a lot like the Stone family. And when my siblings and myself had pretty much grown up, my parents took in a 5-1/2 year old male child into our home since his parents were divorcing and had planned to put him into foster care. Our family had a lot of compassion just like the Stone family, and so we all did everything in our power to give him the family which he so desperately had needed!
Thanks for your personal perspective. I think I would enjoy meeting any of the three "child" actors from the show. I'm sure I would be extremely moved trying to say "thank you" to them in person! Not only for their performances at the time but the way they always stayed sincere about the show years later in all interviews I have read and seen. I look forward to watching Shelley's interview on the MPI re-release of Season 1.

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
swan4022 said:
Thanks for your personal perspective. I think I would enjoy meeting any of the three "child" actors from the show. I'm sure I would be extremely moved trying to say "thank you" to them in person! Not only for their performances at the time but the way they always stayed sincere about the show years later in all interviews I have read and seen. I look forward to watching Shelley's interview on the MPI re-release of Season 1.
You're Very Welcome!!

I think you are really going to enjoy Shelley's recollections of "The Donna Reed Show" and her thoughts on the other cast members as well- because she truly gives it her all!! I was quite impressed I must say...

And I just loved watching the "This is Your life" episode with Donna Reed! I don't want to spoil it for anyone, so I won't mention the people who actually appeared on the stage to greet Donna, but it was sure fun to view!

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Carl Betz, Donna Reed, and Bob Crane

Attachments

• Donna Reed Carl Betz Bob Crane.jpg
    Donna Reed Carl Betz Bob Crane.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 62

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Mark-P said:
Sorry for posting here, but there are no threads I could find for Donna Reed Show seasons 1-3.
Has anybody done a comparison of MPI's new release of season 1 to Virgil's 2008 release? I'm curious if they've been remastered as the quality wasn't exactly up to par. I'm sure that at the very least compression must be improved as Virgil squeezed 10 episodes onto each disc and MPI is doing 8 episodes per disc.
Hello Mark! There's really not much to compare I am very sorry to say! The contrast might be a little better and the audio was beefed up a bit! Other than that, MPI did very little or no work in restoring these episodes. In fact, they used the exact same copies from "Virgil Films & Entertainment" in which their studio name was called "Arts Alliance" back then and I had recognized all the exact same flaws. The only two episodes that had different copies was the episode entitled, "Mary's Double Date" and also the episode entitled, "Change Partners and Dance" and these two episodes were nothing to write home about with any marked improvement in picture quality, plus they were syndicated cut episodes for some unknown reason. All the other episodes were complete in length. Sorry for this news, but what can I say?

They did reattach the Screens Gems Logo back onto the ending credits and the theme song now plays to completion.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^Thanks Mark! That means I can safely not bother to replace my Virgil Films releases! I'll use the savings to pick up My Favorite Martian from MPI instead! :)

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Greg2356 said:
Mark: There's not much to compare I am very sorry to say! The contrast might be a little darker and the audio beefed up a bit! Other than that, MPI did very little or no work in restoring these episodes. In fact, they used the exact same copies from "Virgil Films & Entertainment" in which their studio name was called "Arts Alliance" back then and I had recognized all the exact same flaws. The only two episodes that had different copies was the episode entitled, "Mary's Double Date" and the episode entitled, "Change Partners and Dance" and these two episodes were nothing to write home about with any marked improved picture quality, plus they were syndicated cut episodes for some unknown reason. All the other episodes were complete in length. Sorry for this news, but what can I say?
This is too bad...I also will not be spending the money to replace my Arts & Alliance / Virgil Films sets of the first 3 seasons. It sounds as if possibly those first companies had even slightly better releases for those seasons anyway. :mellow:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks