What's new

The Donna Reed Show: SEASON 4 (1 Viewer)

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Yeah, it certainly sounds like she wasn't happy with the profit she got working with the last distributor so she wants a bigger piece of the pie by trying to do it herself. I hope she finds a way without lowering the quality of the product. This would be a big disappointment for Donna Reed fans. Keep us posted.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Bob_S.
Yeah, it certainly sounds like she wasn't happy with the profit she got working with the last distributor so she wants a bigger piece of the pie by trying to do it herself. I hope she finds a way without lowering the quality of the product. This would be a big disappointment for Donna Reed fans. Keep us posted.
And how much does she think she can make on this? Not for anything but its an okay black and white sitcom that's over 50 years old. And one that didn't really have much syndication either. Personally, I'd like to get at least seasons 4 & 5 but beyond that, I'm not going to be that disappointed if we don't get the final 3 seasons.

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Neil Brock said:
And how much does she think she can make on this? Not for anything but its an okay black and white sitcom that's over 50 years old. And one that didn't really have much syndication either. Personally, I'd like to get at least seasons 4 & 5 but beyond that, I'm not going to be that disappointed if we don't get the final 3 seasons.
I think she is going to make a ton of money on this one!!! Mary Owen is a very intelligent woman, and she knows the huge profit margin for her Mom's TV Show! All Three Seasons that have been released thus far have done quite well in DVD Sales!! And people have been waiting for so very long for this elusive 'Fourth Season' regarding "The Donna Reed Show" to be released on DVD!!!! Most of the 39 episodes from this Fourth Season, haven't been seen for over 40 years!!!! "Nick at Nite" only aired one episode from 'Season Four,' entitled, "Mouse at Play," and now that even more people are finally realizing this fact from reading "The Donna Reed Show" Campaign Page, they are going crazy waiting for this missing 'Season Four' to be released!!!! On Facebook, people who are Baby Boomers, and so many Newer Fans that grew up with this show when it had aired for Nine Years on the 'Nick at Nite" Cable Network, have been begging for the release of this Season 4, to the point of being almost pathetic in nature since they want this particular season of "The Donna Reed Show" so very badly!!! According to Mary Owen, Season 4 is now in the works, but no release date has been scheduled as yet! Hold Tight 'Donna Reed Show Fans' things are really beginning to heat up...

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I respectfully disagree. If this show was selling that well and was that much in demand, I doubt Virgil Films would have discontinued the releases after the first three seasons.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Neil Brock
I respectfully disagree. If this show was selling that well and was that much in demand, I doubt Virgil Films would have discontinued the releases after the first three seasons.
Did you not just read this entire thread? Music rights issues are a problem for season 4. Most companies won't tackle those kinds of problems. I would think the 4th season would be the MOST profitable for them. "Johnny Angel" was a monster hit for Shelly Fabares. I think she may have also sung "Big Star" that year. And Paul Peterson had "She Can't Find Her Keys" and "My Dad." All those songs charted, and most of us baby boomers remember seeing the shows where they sang these songs. I think season 4 also included a variety of music stars, if I'm not mistaken. Wasn't Paul Anka on one episode?

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Originally Posted by Neil Brock
Virgil Films & Entertainment didn't give up the "The Donna Reed Show" willingly, in fact they had wanted to do it, for which they had announced last year that they were working hard on Season 4 regarding "The Donna Reed Show," and had planned to have a lot more 'Special Features' concerning this 'Season Four DVD Release' more than ever before, in fact enough to fill up an Extra Disc... I've also received e-mails from the President of Virgil Films & Entertainment regarding The Donna Reed Show's Fourth Season. And I would give you more information on this if I possibly could, but there is a signed 'Confidentially Agreement' that has to be honored which concerns the fact of why they didn't release 'Season 4' of "The Donna Reed Show." And so I am sorry, but I'm not at liberty to tell you anymore than this, even though I'd surely love to!!!!

If your really any kind of a 'Fan' of "The Donna Reed Show" you would be happy that Mary Owen is moving forward to release this Great Series!!!! And if she makes a 'Big Bundle' off of this 'DVD Release' which it looks like she most Surely Will, So What?- since her and her siblings own all the 'Rights' to this 'Fourth Season' of their Mother's Television Series- they deserve it!!!! I wish them a lot of Luck!!!!! I've had communication with Mary Owen more than once, and I truly do like her personality very much, since she is quite a sincere & kind person!!! I wish her all- The Luck in the World!!!!

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Originally Posted by Elena S
Did you not just read this entire thread? Music rights issues are a problem for season 4. Most companies won't tackle those kinds of problems. I would think the 4th season would be the MOST profitable for them. "Johnny Angel" was a monster hit for Shelly Fabares. I think she may have also sung "Big Star" that year. And Paul Peterson had "She Can't Find Her Keys" and "My Dad." All those songs charted, and most of us baby boomers remember seeing the shows where they sang these songs. I think season 4 also included a variety of music stars, if I'm not mistaken. Wasn't Paul Anka on one episode?
Elena!!! So happy to see your 'Post!' I was just wondering what had happened to you? I am very excited about this 'Fourth Season' being released!!!! As I am 'SURE' you are as Well!!!!!- I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!! /img/vbsmilies/htf/banana.gif

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I'm sure Mary Owen is a great person, but the fact she's soliciting business advice via Facebook demonstrates she shouldn't be attempting a vanity release of this series. Even in the best of circumstances, it is very difficult to pull this off. Witness the Caniff Estate's efforts to release the Steve Canyon series which has been stalled for some time now.

I agree with "Neil Brock" on this. There isn't going to be a lot of money to be made on this series. However it is going to need a knowledgable distributor to make it work. Virgil isn't exactly big time, but they do have a business model and a distribution channel in place.

If the Reed Estate is refusing to work with Virgil for whatever reason they should approach Shout Factory to see if there is any interest. If Shout can't make this work, I doubt anyone can.

Sometimes fans of a show see them with rose colored glasses and overestimate their popularity. Classic TV on DVD has been hurting for some time now and even CBS/P, which released more product than the other majors put together, has drastically cut back their output.

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis
Greg,

Count me in for any future releases. This is in my top list of TV/DVD series as a collector.
Jeff, I am with you!!! I want all the 'Releases' that I can POSSIBLY GET of this Wonderful and Entertaining TV Series!!!!! I had wanted to send to you a private email concerning the Release of Season 4 regarding "The Donna Reed Show," but I had decided to wait, and give you a chance to come online first, to find out what I had posted. So many people on FACEBOOK are Sooo Very Happy to hear that Season 4 is a GO DEAL!!!!!! And I am ONE OF THESE PEOPLE!!!!!! YESSSS!!!!!!!!

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Originally Posted by Steve...O
I'm sure Mary Owen is a great person, but the fact she's soliciting business advice via Facebook demonstrates she shouldn't be attempting a vanity release of this series. Even in the best of circumstances, it is very difficult to pull this off. Witness the Caniff Estate's efforts to release the Steve Canyon series which has been stalled for some time now.

I agree with "Neil Brock" on this. There isn't going to be a lot of money to be made on this series. However it is going to need a knowledgable distributor to make it work. Virgil isn't exactly big time, but they do have a business model and a distribution channel in place.

If the Reed Estate is refusing to work with Virgil for whatever reason they should approach Shout Factory to see if there is any interest. If Shout can't make this work, I doubt anyone can.

Sometimes fans of a show see them with rose colored glasses and overestimate their popularity. Classic TV on DVD has been hurting for some time now and even CBS/P, which released more product than the other majors put together, has drastically cut back their output.
Well, your entitled to your opinion Steve for which I totally respect!!! However, Mary Owen is an Incredibly Smart Woman, and she is attracting people in the know, who are wanting to help her desperately with this project. And so, I have very 'GOOD VIBES' about the release of 'Season Four' concerning her Mom's Television Show!!!!!!! One way or another it is going to be 'Released' come Hell or High Water!!!!!!!!!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Hi Greg,

I wasn't trying to be negative, just realistic. Right now, the market for this kind of stuff is very soft. This is as disappointing to me as I'm sure it is to you. The Donna Reed Show was one of my favorites in the Nick @ Nite era and I have a soft spot for it 'til this day. I hope that it all works out in the end.

The Reed Estate is definitely very fortunate to have you in their corner. It's been said on this forum many times that an advocate for a particular movie or show who is willing to go the extra mile to "make things happen" is what is needed to bring something to market. Most often this refers to a studio employee, but in this case where rights are held by a family, they likely need encouragement by enthusiasts like yourself to make their efforts worthwhile.

Having said that the Estate really needs to think long and hard before trying to go at it alone. I mentioned Steve Canyon above; another example is the sad tale of Richard Agee who owns the rights (and most of the original materials) for the classic Laurel and Hardy Roach era silents. He had a deal with Image Entertainment some years ago and these got wide distribution. When that expired and the discs went OOP he decided he would try to market these himself. He has gotten nowhere and instead has ruined his reputation by repeatedly failing to hit promised deadlines not to mention the fact he's collected money from prospective buyers who have nothing to show for their investment.

Further examples: Bob Hope and Alfred Hitchcock had the rights to certain of their films. This turned into disaster as Hope's people allowed these films to be public domain thus killing the chances for a proper, high quality studio release of these. Hitch did not properly store his films and Harris/Katz were faced with trying to resurrect the likes of Rear Window and Vertigo before they were lost.

What ends up happening over time is that the immediate heirs either pass on or become too old to properly preserve the integrity of their assets. Rights are then scattered to the next level of heirs. Often multiple people are involved at this point some of which have no interest or desire to honor the family legacy.

I'm sure Mary Owen knows all of this and none of this is news to her. Hopefully the input she is getting leads her to MPI, Shout, or whoever so that high quality releases of S4 and beyond can become a reality.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Greg2356

Elena!!! So happy to see your 'Post!' I was just wondering what had happened to you? I am very excited about this 'Fourth Season' being released!!!! As I am 'SURE' you are as Well!!!!!- I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!! /img/vbsmilies/htf/banana.gif
Ah, thanks. /img/vbsmilies/htf/wink.gif Been kind of busy lately and so haven't been posting as often. Also my other computer crashed so it took me awhile to get a new one up and running and get my bookmarks back.

Yes, I am very much looking forward to more of this show. One of my all-time favorites. I may be wrong about the reason for the season not being released (although I'm sure music rights do play a part in it) but whatever the reason I hope it can all be worked out.

Facebook is an incredible tool for finding support and distributing information. I wouldn't underestimate it.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
[SIZE= 14px][COLOR= #ff0000]Count me in for seasons four and five, I am only interested in the Mary Stone era. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 14px][COLOR= #ff0000]The show was not as great after Shelly Fabres left. It was like when Vivian Vance left the "Lucy Show"![/COLOR][/SIZE]

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I was watching a Yogi Bear cartoon the other day on Boomerang and the background music sounded like the theme to the Donna Reed Show. What's the story behind that? Was Screen Gems involved with Hanna Barbara cartoons and that's how it ended up being used?

Anyone know if the music was intact on the complete series for the Yogi Bear Show? Haven't gotten around to buying that although I certainly want to get it eventually.

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Originally Posted by AlanP
[SIZE= 14px][COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Count me in for seasons four and five, I am only interested in the Mary Stone era. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 14px][COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]The show was not as great after Shelly Fabres left. It was like when Vivian Vance left the "Lucy Show"![/COLOR][/SIZE]
I am very much interested in the seasons from "The Donna Reed Show" after Shelley Fabares was no longer on this series full time, but she did make Guest Appearances! I also enjoyed during the "Sixth Season" the very intense scene between her and Paul Petersen which was indeed a very 'Dramatic Scene,' when Shelley Fabares had 'Guest Starred' in the episode entitled, "Mary Comes Home." This type of great emotional confrontation between brother and sister was not seen in the first 'Five Seasons' of this very entertaining TV series. I had also enjoyed very much, the 'Funny Episodes' with the neighbors during the Sixth and Seventh Seasons regarding "The Donna Reed Show."

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Originally Posted by LeoAmes
I was watching a Yogi Bear cartoon the other day on Boomerang and the background music sounded like the theme to the Donna Reed Show. What's the story behind that? Was Screen Gems involved with Hanna Barbara cartoons and that's how it ended up being used?
It is funny Leo, but I too saw an episode of "Yogi Bear" sometime around 1984, and heard "The Donna Reed Show" Theme Song being played in the background. The song is entitled, "Happy Days," and I would suspect this song was written some years before "The Donna Reed Show" came on the air, but I am not certain how many years before... I don't know if this particular song was written especially for the "Yogi Bear" Cartoon Show or for that matter Hanna Barbara Cartoons. This is the only cartoon show that I have ever heard this song entitled, "Happy Days" being used as background music. I did get a kick though out of hearing this tune being played in the background of the "Yogi Bear" cartoon show! Interesting!!!!

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
[SIZE= 16px][COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Did Mary return for the final show ?? How many seasons did she return ?? And was it several shows ?? Was she discussed from time to time on the series ? [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc

Originally Posted by Steve...O
Hi Greg,

I wasn't trying to be negative, just realistic. Right now, the market for this kind of stuff is very soft. This is as disappointing to me as I'm sure it is to you. The Donna Reed Show was one of my favorites in the Nick @ Nite era and I have a soft spot for it 'til this day. I hope that it all works out in the end.

The Reed Estate is definitely very fortunate to have you in their corner. It's been said on this forum many times that an advocate for a particular movie or show who is willing to go the extra mile to "make things happen" is what is needed to bring something to market. Most often this refers to a studio employee, but in this case where rights are held by a family, they likely need encouragement by enthusiasts like yourself to make their efforts worthwhile.

Having said that the Estate really needs to think long and hard before trying to go at it alone. I mentioned Steve Canyon above; another example is the sad tale of Richard Agee who owns the rights (and most of the original materials) for the classic Laurel and Hardy Roach era silents. He had a deal with Image Entertainment some years ago and these got wide distribution. When that expired and the discs went OOP he decided he would try to market these himself. He has gotten nowhere and instead has ruined his reputation by repeatedly failing to hit promised deadlines not to mention the fact he's collected money from prospective buyers who have nothing to show for their investment.

Further examples: Bob Hope and Alfred Hitchcock had the rights to certain of their films. This turned into disaster as Hope's people allowed these films to be public domain thus killing the chances for a proper, high quality studio release of these. Hitch did not properly store his films and Harris/Katz were faced with trying to resurrect the likes of Rear Window and Vertigo before they were lost.

What ends up happening over time is that the immediate heirs either pass on or become too old to properly preserve the integrity of their assets. Rights are then scattered to the next level of heirs. Often multiple people are involved at this point some of which have no interest or desire to honor the family legacy.

I'm sure Mary Owen knows all of this and none of this is news to her. Hopefully the input she is getting leads her to MPI, Shout, or whoever so that high quality releases of S4 and beyond can become a reality.

Hey Steve, thank you very much for your 'Post' with all the interesting information you have shared!!! It's very much appreciated!!

As far as I know, Mary Owen is very aware of the mistakes that "Virgil Films & Entertainment" made with their release of Seasons 1 through 3. Mary says that Season 4 will be done better, and that the 'Ending Credits' will be perfect with it's Original Logo's included. I think things are moving in the right direction as far as releasing this Season 4 in regards to "The Donna Reed Show." In fact, something is in the works at present that Mary is not suppose to talk about... So to me that means possibly that another studio has agreed to pick up this series in which I warn you, is only a guess of mine! I know that one of the main guys 'Brian Ward' that puts these 'Classic Television Series' together for "Shout! Factory" has recently stated in a 'Post' that he would love to work on "The Donna Reed Show" since he used to watch it all the time when growing up. And he went on to say that he had a 'Crush' on Donna. Of course, I don't know if "Shout! Factory" will actually get the 'Rights' to put this series out on DVD, since this decision will ultimately have to be made by Donna Reed's Children. I'll be sure to keep the 'Fans' posted as information becomes available concerning this Classic TV Show!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks