What's new

THE DONNA REED SHOW, SEASON 3 - October 20th (1 Viewer)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Originally Posted by Gary OS

...I've always hated cast changes of any kind in these quaint shows. It just disturbs the nice little world the family, and audience, lives in for those 30 or 60 minutes each week. Coming from a divorced home when I was only four, I'm sure one of the draws of these older series is the beautiful sense of security and continuity. Friends are always there for one another; people resolve their difficulties by the end of the episode; and everyone lives happily ever after. I know that's not the real world, but I don't watch TV to get more of the real world. Frankly, I've never understood people that do watch for that reason. Seems bizarre to me.
I'm with you, Gary, all the way on these cast changes. Unfortunately, the real world does tend to invade these shows, and not just when people like Shelley Fabares get opportunities to go off and make pictures Elvis. Bewitched and Petticoat Junction may be the champions here. Bewitched lost a great deal of its heart when Alice Pearce and Marion Lorne died. Alice was replaced by Sandra Gould and the writers inexplicably turned her character into a shrew with no audience sympathy. And Marion Lorne's Aunt Clara was simply irreplaceable. She was that unique. Kasey Rogers replaced Irene Vernon as Larry Tate's wife, Louise, and her character morphed from a typically cool, sophisticated executive's wife to a fun-loving gal. That one didn't hurt the show, but the character was certainly not the same. And then there was new Darrin. I found Dick York a bit neurotic, but with a wonderful flair for comic reaction which Dick Sargent couldn't emulate. Still, the show managed to plow on for eight seasons.

Then there's poor Petticoat Junction. Two seasons in, two of the three girls left and were recast. One season later, one of the two was recast yet again. And death took an awful toll on this series when Smiley Burnette died and then the lovely Bea Benederet who was the very soul of that show. I felt Petticoat Junction failed it's loyal audience by not stopping and holding tribute shows to Smiley and most especially Bea, with clips from past episodes and either the characters reminiscing or the actors themselves. It was almost as if the characters never existed. Petticoat Junction managed to continue on for another year and a half after Bea's death, but it wasn't the same.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I'm with you guys on the cast changing in TV shows. Imo, it's rare when a show improves after a major character cast change. At the moment, I can think of only 1 show where (for me) there was a cast change that I thought made a show better.

"Combat!" when Conlan Carter assumed the role as "Doc" after season 1.

As for Donna Reed, I might have a small advantage in that I'm viewing the show for the 1st time on DVD. I don't have the memories of watching back in the 50's/60's. That said, I can't picture the show well without Shelly in there as the sister. From my take on the show so far (still viewing S1 about halfway thru), the chemistry between the kids is great....heck, they're all great in this show. One of my best blind-buys ever.

Jeff " +1, Gary....I can watch CNN or local news to get a dose of 'reality'" W.

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc

Greg, thanks so much for all that info. I guess I'm in for the duration of this series, but I've always hated cast changes of any kind in these quaint shows.
No Problem Gary, glad you enjoyed the info!

By the way, I don't like cast changes very much either!! I only somewhat accepted Shelley Fabares leaving "The Donna Reed Show" because I have always been interested in, and completely intrigued by Donna Reed herself. Plus the fact, that I didn't start watching "The Donna Reed Show" until it was in it's Sixth Season when it was originally airing in the evenings on the ABC Television Network when I was 10 years old. So I didn't start watching this show at the time when Shelley Fabares was continually featured in it. But, when I was off from school in the summer months, and ABC was also airing Reruns of "The Donna Reed Show" every weekday, I was in heaven! Plus the fact that I had gotten to know the Mary Stone Character much better during these daytime reruns, and enjoyed her very much! So I had watched "The Donna Reed Show" in the daytime during the summer months five days a week with Shelley Fabares featured in it, plus the rest of the Great Cast. And then every Thursday Evening I would watch the Newer Episodes of "The Donna Reed Show" with their Adopted Daughter Trisha, and of course their son Jeff which had also included as well the Stone's Permanent Neighbor Friends, 'Dave & Midge Kelsey!' I loved being able to catch up with the older episodes from "The Donna Reed Show" which I had missed seeing in previous years, and then being able to watch the newer episodes from this continuing great series every Thursday Evening. It was a lot of fun and a great satisfaction for me to be able to do this...

I agree that in today's times, real life is a Bummer to say the least, that is why I don't watch reality shows either! These Classic Shows from yesteryear are truly comforting to me, and most always put me in a Great Mood! I long for the simpler times from the era of when these Great Series had originally been broadcast.

Just as a side note: The episode from "The Donna Reed Show" that really shocked and impressed me at the same time, was an episode from it's Seventh Season in which the Guest Star was Marlo Thomas. I had never heard anybody talk so very rude to Donna Stone. I couldn't believe what I was hearing! You see, Jeff was dating a woman that was quite a bit older than himself that happened to have a chip on her shoulder as well! This woman named Louise played excellently by Marlo Thomas really ripped into the 'Donna Stone Character.' Donna knew that something very emotionally disturbing was troubling this woman, and just kept on asking Louise just what was bothering her? Then this woman lasses out even more at Donna saying as I recall, "Nothing is bothering me, but I know what is bothering you, your just jealous of anybody who is dating your son since you think nobody is good enough for your son!" And she went on and on in her very rude disrespectful tone of voice verbally attacking Donna! Even telling Donna in an unflattering way that she was Perfect Donna, with Perfect Hair, Perfect Face, etc etc. But Donna in her own temperate way held strong with this woman that Jeff was dating, letting her know that she was the one in complete control of her emotions, much more so than this other woman who was trying so very hard to put-down Donna in which Donna saw right through all this, realizing that this woman that her son Jeff was so infatuated with was merely a very emotionally troubled individual. This woman Louise just couldn't handle the fact any longer that Donna didn't seem to be shocked by anything she threw at her, and came to the realization that she couldn't beat Donna down in anyway shape or form no matter what she said to her... Donna just kept continuing to ask this obviously tortured woman in various levels of Compassionate Tones, "Louise what's Wrong?" Finally when the character Louise absolutely couldn't handle the realization that Donna is such a strong grounded unmovable force, she has a complete Emotional Meltdown right in the Stone's Kitchen in crying rather loudly, and uncontrollably! Donna puts her arms around poor Louise in an attempt to try and comfort her. I won't reveal what was troubling the Louise Character since I don't want to ruin the story for people who haven't seen this episode yet, but it was an episode from "The Donna Reed Show" that I have never forgotten as you can see!

Sorry about the sentences being cut off in mid-line on this post! I tried to correct this problem several times by going back and Re-Editing It, but -- had no luck with it!!!!!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Greg,

Echo Gary's "kudos" for your post. Your story about the daytime "Donna Reed" episodes reminded me of another of my all-timers, "Bewitched". I also rememer doing the same thing with that one, when it was shown in daytime and the prime-time run was still in progress.

Donna Reed: Thanks for the "spoiler" omission. I'm one of those new viewers to this one and love the show. I don't know for myself about getting the entire series on DVD, if the releases continue. I'll wait for some feedback about the effect on the absense of Shelly from the cast before deciding on the seasons after #4. I just have a lot of sets on the shelf not viewed and have to watch the TV/DVD budget more than in the past.

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Your in Luck Jeff, Shelley Fabares didn't leave "The Donna Reed Show" until after the Fifth Season!!! So there are plenty of Great Episodes with Shelley Fabares during this Fifth Season as well!!!! I think you may have thought that Shelley Fabares left the series after the Fourth Season because since the 1980's for some reason The Donna Reed Show's Syndicated Package of episodes that were contracted out to various Television Stations that had requested it, were cut down from a 275 Episode Syndicated Package to a 175 Episode Syndicated Package. But now that Donna Reed's Children have won the rights to the First Five Seasons of their Mother's Television Show from Sony Pictures, it has been said that the Fourth Season that hasn't been in syndication for many years will be coming out on DVD as well!

So hopefully, we fans will be able to purchase on DVD, all Five Seasons from "The Donna Reed Show" that featured Shelley Fabares full time! I myself am looking very forward to seeing the Complete Fourth Season of "The Donna Reed Show" that I haven't seen for ages!!!! And the Fifth Season that I have seen a lot of times, is a Great Season with many great Shelley Fabares Episodes before she left the show the following year to do movies, and then Shelley was only included in episodes from the Sixth Season once in a while...

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by Greg2356

Your in Luck Jeff, Shelley Fabares didn't leave "The Donna Reed Show" until after the Fifth Season!!! So there are plenty of Great Episodes with Shelley Fabares during this Fifth Season as well!!!! I think you may have thought that Shelley Fabares left the series after the Fourth Season because since the 1980's for some reason The Donna Reed Show's Syndicated Package of episodes that were contracted out to various Television Stations that had requested it, were cut down from a 275 Episode Syndicated Package to a 175 Episode Syndicated Package. But now that Donna Reed's Children have won the rights to the First Five Seasons of their Mother's Television Show from Sony Pictures, it has been said that the Fourth Season that hasn't been in syndication for many years will be coming out on DVD as well!

So hopefully, we fans will be able to purchase on DVD, all Five Seasons from "The Donna Reed Show" that featured Shelley Fabares full time! I myself am looking very forward to seeing the Complete Fourth Season of "The Donna Reed Show" that I haven't seen for ages!!!! And the Fifth Season that I have seen a lot of times is a Great Season with many great Shelley Fabares Episodes, before she left the show the following year to do movies, and then Shelley was only included in episodes from the Sixth Season once in a while...
Thanks for that information, Greg! It explains a lot as to why I always felt I had holes in my memories with this show and especially the later seasons. Jeff and I were just talking about this recently, and what you've shared helps clear things up for me and my distant memories of watching this show in reruns as a kid in the 70's and again as a teenager in the early to mid 80's.

Gary "guess I'm definitely in for at least 5 seasons" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Greg, you made my day Thanks for the info and the S4 news. I'm still viewing S1 and really like this show. I watched "Jeff's Double Date" last night.

I'll be in thru S5 as well. As Gary mentioned, we had thought Shelly exited after S4. I didn't check IMDB close enough. I see where Patty Petersen joined the cast in '63 in the 6th season.

Don't know how I missed this one back when it aired as well as syndicaton. Just one of those things. There were so many good shows on TV back then and it was long before the home recording age.

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Quote:

Thanks for that information, Greg! It explains a lot as to why I always felt I had holes in my memories with this show and especially the later seasons. Jeff and I were just talking about this recently, and what you've shared helps clear things up for me and my distant memories of watching this show in reruns as a kid in the 70's and again as a teenager in the early to mid 80's.

Gary "guess I'm definitely in for at least 5 seasons" O.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Gary, I am very glad that I could shed some light on this subject that concerns "The Donna Reed Show." I really appreciated your Post!

Myself, I have been frustrated for years not being able to see all the episodes from "The Donna Reed Show!" It has been like reading a book with missing chapters! I've written letters to Television Stations over the years inquiring about all these missing episodes that I remember from my Favorite Show. I would get answers back saying something like, ( Wow, you sure must be a Big Fan of "The Donna Reed Show," hopefully we can contract these episodes you talk about in the very near future! ) Nobody could ever really give me a satisfactory answer as to why these episodes weren't aired! I had asked Paul Petersen in 2002 as to why "The Donna Reed Show" hadn't ever been released on DVD like other TV Shows had been... Paul was kind enough to forward the email that I had originally sent to him to Mary Owen, which is the youngest daughter of Donna Reed and Tony Owen. And she in turn sent me an email explaining that her and her siblings were trying to get the Rights to the First Five Seasons of her Mother's Show. She told me that she didn't know that so many of her Mother's TV Shows were missing from syndication until I informed her of this fact. And she wanted me to give her any information I had concerning these missing episodes from her Mother's Show.

It took close to six years from the time that I had received this first email from Mary Owen, for her and her siblings to gain the Rights to the first 'Five Seasons' of her Mother's Television Series. But, I am so 'Very Glad' they did!!!!!

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Are you saying they only have the rights to the first 5 seasons?

Would be ashame to see this get to season 5 and then end. The last three seasons, while inferior to the earlier seasons, are still worth watching and something I would think fans of the show would want in their DVD collection.

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Originally Posted by LeoAmes

Are you saying they only have the rights to the first 5 seasons?

Would be ashame to see this get to season 5 and then end. The last three seasons, while inferior to the earlier seasons, are still worth watching and something I would think fans of the show would want in their DVD collection.
Yes- that is what I understand! Different Share Holders own the last Three Seasons of "The Donna Reed Show" which has something to do with Music Rights according to Paul Petersen. But, Paul Petersen also went on to say on "The Shokus Radio Show" that you know they will release the last Three Seasons of "The Donna Reed Show" if this show continues on to sell as well as it has been... He said this when the sales of the First Season of "The Donna Reed Show" were at an all time high on Amazon.com...

I agree, that it would be quite ashame if one couldn't purchase the last three seasons of "The Donna Reed Show." But we can't count on purchasing these last 'Three Seasons' just yet! So lets just hope for the BEST!!!!!

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
If you remember, General Mills came out with a Donna Reed dvd in their cereal that had 2 episodes from the last 3 seasons but they were syndicated versions. If DR sells well, I'm sure the remaining seasons will come out. I think three other tv shows were featured in the cereals-Barney Miller, Mad About You and King of Queens. All of them had a saeson release except DR. Now I know why, Sony only had rights to the last 3 seasons and it would have looked silly coming out with The Donna Reed Show Season 6 without 1-5. I guess if DR was that popular they would have come out with a "Best of" set from those last seasons. Does anyone know if Barney Miller and Mad About You season sets were uncut? Come to think of it, Walker, Texas Ranger final season was released before season 1 so anything's possible.

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Originally Posted by Bob_S.

If you remember, General Mills came out with a Donna Reed dvd in their cereal that had 2 episodes from the last 3 seasons but they were syndicated versions. If DR sells well, I'm sure the remaining seasons will come out. I think three other tv shows were featured in the cereals-Barney Miller, Mad About You and King of Queens. All of them had a saeson release except DR. Now I know why, Sony only had rights to the last 3 seasons and it would have looked silly coming out with The Donna Reed Show Season 6 without 1-5. I guess if DR was that popular they would have come out with a "Best of" set from those last seasons. Does anyone know if Barney Miller and Mad About You season sets were uncut? Come to think of it, Walker, Texas Ranger final season was released before season 1 so anything's possible.
I have the DVD that was attached to the package of the General Mills Cereal Box which included these two episodes from the Eighth Season of "The Donna Reed Show" in which Sony Pictures at that time had owned.

When Paul Petersen was on the "Stu Shokus Radio Show," he said that Sony Pictures no longer owns the last Three Seasons of "The Donna Reed Show" He just said that Share Owners have the Rights to these last Three Seasons that are tied to Music Rights.

Apparently much litigation has been taking place regarding "The Donna Reed Show" during the past six years or so... I have no idea what ultimately will be the result of these litigations concerning these last 'Three Seasons' of "The Donna Reed Show." I am just hoping since there is so much interest in these first 'Five Seasons' of "The Donna Reed Show" that something will turn out very positive. And as a direct result of this, hopefully fans of this show will be able to purchase on DVD's these final 'Three Seasons' from this Great Family TV Series!!!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Bob_S.

Does anyone know if Barney Miller and Mad About You season sets were uncut?
I have the Barney Miller sets and so far, the one's I've seen in S1 appear to be uncut clocking in at ~25+ min/episode.

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Did anybody notice that the release date for Season Three regarding "The Donna Reed Show" is now December 1, 2009? Do you think this Current Release Date for Season Three will be the True Release Date, since this is the third time that it has changed?! Well, it had better be- if they want the Christmas Shoppers to purchase it!

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
The release date for season two got pushed back a couple of times too, IIRC. My guess is since Virgil Films is a relatively small player, their production schedule is more likely to get bumped by the manufacturers and duplicators they rely on to produce the final product. They simply are not going to have the same kind of clout with their vendors as a Warner Bros. or a CBS/Paramount whose manufacturing runs will be huge compared to a vintage release like The Donna Reed Show. I take the fact that season two made it out the door, albeit late, as a very good indicator that we will see future seasons.

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Originally Posted by pitchman

The release date for season two got pushed back a couple of times too, IIRC. My guess is since Virgil Films is a relatively small player, their production schedule is more likely to get bumped by the manufacturers and duplicators they rely on to produce the final product. They simply are not going to have the same kind of clout with their vendors as a Warner Bros. or a CBS/Paramount whose manufacturing runs will be huge compared to a vintage release like The Donna Reed Show. I take the fact that season two made it out the door, albeit late, as a very good indicator that we will see future seasons.
Yes, I too believe that future releases of "The Donna Reed Show" will be coming our way...

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Dave L posted a news item for the S3 release. It's been pushed back to Dec 1 ('09). The news post is here . There is a change in the extras. One of the changes is a Christmas message. I think I see Gary dancing in Fla :)

Another Christmas news post is here about a Shout! Christmas episode compilation release. I think I see another one of Gary's Holy Grails in the list of Christmas episodes. "Windows on Main St". How about that? :)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

Gary "and we got news that Season 4 is definitely in the plans" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks