The Donna Reed Show on DVD - Sorta

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Randy A Salas, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

I haven't seen this posted anywhere, so...

General Mills is including limited-edition DVDs that have episodes from classic TV shows on boxes of its cereals. It's a partnership with Sony Pictures Television, and three of the shows look merely like samplers for existing or coming DVDs--an episode and behind-the-scenes material for "King of Queens" on one disc, and two episodes each for "Barney Miller" and "Mad About You" on two others.

But the fourth disc includes two episodes of "The Donna Reed Show"--specifically "Four on the Floor" and "No More Parties." That '50s-'60s show hasn't officially been announced for DVD yet, although it was part of the recent CTHE TV poll.

The cereals are Total, Total Brown Sugar & Oats, Total Raisin Bran, Oatmeal Crisp Almond and Oatmeal Crisp Raisin.

2. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Hey that's great news. Donna was such a hottie in her day. :b

3. Randy A Salas

Well, now, this is interesting. After digging a little more, I found:

The King of Queens episode, "Clothes Encounter," is from Season 5, so it's not really a sampler for the Season 1 set or the upcoming Season 2 set at all.

The same goes for the other shows. The one (not two) episode for Mad About You is "Coming Home" from Season 6, plus behind-the-scenes stuff. And the Barney Miller episodes are "The Tunnel" from Season 4 and "Obituary" from Season 8.

So none of these is really a sampler of current or coming DVDs.

4. Rodney

Rodney Supporting Actor

Thanks for the heads up, Randy. I'll have to pick up that Donna Reed disc!

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Anyone spot these yet? I've checked two Wal-Marts (a superstore and a neighborhood market), to no avail. Hitting Kroger and a local chain tonight.

6. Randy A Salas

I wrote about these in the paper yesterday and talked to the General Mills PR rep about them. She sent me the actual discs, so I know they exist.

She said the specially marked packages with these DVDs were shipped to stores in recent weeks. However, it's up to individual stores to put them out. So go somewhere that sells a lot of cereal and has reason to restock regularly. It also might not hurt to ask someone if they have some in the back. This is a case where it might really be true.

Just as an FYI, the last time General Mills had a promotion like this, it took my local Rainbow Foods about two weeks from the day when the company said they were available to put them on the shelves.

7. David Lambert

Well, I hit the two Wal-Marts first because A) they had the last GM DVD promo (Jackie Chan and other cartoons/kidstuff) on shelves pretty quickly, B) they had them most consistantly, and C) they are the most popular "grocery stores" in the area, so if anyone should cycle through the breakfast cereal boxes quickly, it's them.

On "another forum" I saw references to Mejeir (SIC?) chain having these out already, but that chain isn't in Memphis.

I'll keep my eyes peeled, and ask a few guys to check stock for me. Thanks.

8. Ray_Gootz

Ray_Gootz Stunt Coordinator

Pathmark in Astoria has all 4 allready but I have no intrest. Tons of Donna Reed and Barney Miller boxes. Now if they had One Day at a time ceral then we'd talk!

9. Rodney

Rodney Supporting Actor

The wife picked up the Donna Reed Show disc at the store this morning! Haven't had a chance to view it, but Woo-Hoo!

So they are in the supermarkets in New England (Dave's Marketplace and Stop & Shop).

10. David Lambert

Still no joy after two more stores in Memphis. Sigh.

11. Rodney

Rodney Supporting Actor

Had a chance to quickly scan the Donna Reed DVD, and other than a sneak peak for "King of Queens", no extras. The two episodes seem intact. No restoration appears to have been done, but they looked all right. I wished it could have been a couple of earlier episodes, though.

12. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I might have to buy some total raisin bran, I'll be looking for the King of Queens DVD mostly although because of Nick at Nite, I a child from the 80's still have fond memories of the Donna Reed show.

13. DouglasRobert

DouglasRobert Second Unit

Just picked up the Donna Reed DVD in the Oatmeal Crisp w/ Raisin.

1st episode is about the teenage boy buying a used car and then having trouble with it. His father discovers the problem.

2nd Episode is about the Mother and Father and about them going to a party.

Then they have a Sneak Peek of the King of Queens Season 1 DVD.

What's surprising is that they did not include any previews of either the Barney Miller or Mad About You DVD's.

The back of the cereal box has pics of all the DVD's offered inside little cartoonish TV sets and "Fun Facts" about each show.

IMHO, the 1st episode about the car is the better episode.

Paid only $2.50 for the cereal, and get a free DVD. Great deal!!

Hopefully Columbia will do this with other TV shows that are not out yet on DVD.

Does anybody know if they can track which DVDs are selling, as in a sort of survey of which DVD's are selling better?

14. David Lambert

I finally found these this morning. Went into Wal-mart to grab Punk'd at $15.18, and decided to check the cereal aisle (even though I had the other day). One box w/a DVD was peeking out behind many normal-looking boxes. So I tore apart the shelf and discovered that the DVD boxes were behind all the others.

I grabbed a complete set to keep unopened, a set to open and watch, and an extra Mad About You for my sis-in-law. I have 9 boxes of cereal in my truck! [​IMG] :b

15. Randy A Salas

FYI, when I talked to a rep at Sony Pictures Television, he implied that The Donna Reed Show is very likely to be released normally on DVD--just as every other TV shows in this promotion has (or will be soon).

16. David Lambert

I kinda got that impression, just by looking over the back of the box. Nothing there that actually telegraphs it, but I guess it's an intuition thing. [​IMG]

17. Rodney

Rodney Supporting Actor

David wrote:

David, the first step is to admit you have a problem! [​IMG]

DVD Completion Addiction. Gotta love it!

18. ChrisRose

ChrisRose Stunt Coordinator

Thank goodness they (probably) plan to release The Donna Reed Show on "regular" DVDs. Because I can't find these cereal-DVDs anywhere....

Has anyone in Canada spotted them?

19. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Well, I hate to be the one to bring bad news, but when the DVDs in the cereal popped up I asked Columbia TriStar about the show coming to DVD and they said it's not in the plans right now. They said that it was Sony Pictures Television that organized the promotion, not Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment.

Gord [​IMG]

20. ChrisRose

ChrisRose Stunt Coordinator

Damn. [​IMG]

Hey Gord, you're in Canada... Have you seen the cereal-DVDs anywhere? Can you recommend stores/supermarkets to check?

Sorry, I realize you probably would've already posted such tips, if you could... but I had to ask anyway. I'm desperate here... I've tried Wal-Mart, IGA, Supervalue, and every little local place that sells cereal. No luck.