What's new

The Dobbs HT: Starting From Scratch (1 Viewer)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Bobofbone said:
About getting a seal with the putty pads. It isn't necessary with the putty pad. You can put the putty pad around the box before putting in the dry wall, and then caulk or fill any spaces left between the gel and dry wall after the dry wall is up, if you have to.
Thanks for the tip. Sounds like a plan!

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Mesh installed. Ready to blow in cellulose insulation.

069.jpg

Last edited:

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Brian Dobbs said:

Yours is certainly a marathon project, but rattles surely will not be a problem when you're done. I recently added a second sub (and a new set of rattles) in my standard dedicated room. I used a similar product (cut to fit) on the side wall sconce plates (interior) to great effect.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Dr Griffin said:
Yours is certainly a marathon project...
Sure is. My goal is to have drywall installed and finished this year. Before I hire a crew to finish it, I need to frame out a few more places elsewhere in the basement.

BTW, my shipping confirmation e-mail says I have 1,185 pounds of MLV coming my way.

Heh heh, cool.

antmumford

Grip
Real Name
Anthony Mumford
Hi Brian, just wanted to say a huge congrats to what you've achieved so far and can't wait to keep reading your posts and join you on your HT "journey", so to speak. I've only recently joined the forum and been making my way through everyone's threads which has been fun and educational but yours stands out as something real special.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
antmumford said:
Hi Brian, just wanted to say a huge congrats to what you've achieved so far and can't wait to keep reading your posts and join you on your HT "journey", so to speak. I've only recently joined the forum and been making my way through everyone's threads which has been fun and educational but yours stands out as something real special.
Well sir, that just made my weekend. Thank you very much!

The MLV was delivered today and my buddy and I will be blowing in the insulation tomorrow! Meeting him early at Home Depot to pick up 50 bags!

It's just insulation, but lord it's like a dream come true! Haha.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Brian I hired Home Depot to blow in the exact same material in the attic over my new HT last summer. Since where was a minimum (600 sq. ft) charge by the time they blew all the bags into the space I ended up with almost a R60 rating.

Since the job was completed I can't say I'm totally happy with the outcome. I'll have a better feeling after this summer is over but out here in SoCal the low temps are in the 40's at night during the winter and the room was cooler than I would have expected. I hope your outcome turns out better than mine.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
DFurr said:
Brian I hired Home Depot to blow in the exact same material in the attic over my new HT last summer. Since where was a minimum (600 sq. ft) charge by the time they blew all the bags into the space I ended up with almost a R60 rating.

Since the job was completed I can't say I'm totally happy with the outcome. I'll have a better feeling after this summer is over but out here in SoCal the low temps are in the 40's at night during the winter and the room was cooler than I would have expected. I hope your outcome turns out better than mine.
Fortunately I am only blowing it in for sound purposes. It has dramatically reduced the sound I hear from the 1st floor overhead already, not to mention eliminate all echoes. Very weird effect!

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
Brian Dobbs said:
Fortunately I am only blowing it in for sound purposes. It has dramatically reduced the sound I hear from the 1st floor overhead already, not to mention eliminate all echoes. Very weird effect!
It might be interesting to see if the echo returns after dry wall is up.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
That is a lot of mass loading and deadening. Don't let the room get too "dead", or you will lose some of the imaging and sense of space from your speakers.

Any plans for pegboard or other diffusion materials on the final stages?

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
antmumford said:
How's it all going Brian? Any significant updates to report? :)
Hope to have all MLV work done this weekend. Will post pictures.

BigJim said:
4 years (and going). That's some dedication.
Ready to start watching movies!

Dave Upton said:
That is a lot of mass loading and deadening. Don't let the room get too "dead", or you will lose some of the imaging and sense of space from your speakers.

Any plans for pegboard or other diffusion materials on the final stages?
Installing drywall will liven things back up. I'll most likely add diffusion and absorption materials.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks