What's new

The Dobbs HT: Starting From Scratch (2 Viewers)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
DanH1972 said:
Still no word on Auro3D or DTS-UHD for home use. Personally, I think Barco should just drop regular Auro (channel and matrix based) and glom on to their partner's DTS-UHD codec and its object approach. Auro is doing that way for theatrical mixing. You MAY see positional data for those extra height speakers with DTS-UHD, but since they're keeping quiet, it's anyone's guess.
Auro 3D is in a few home processors now but there is no film software available on blu ray.

A review of one here. Looks like a fine piece of kit, i suspect Dolby Atmos will get actual blu ray encoded titles and Auro will not.

http://www.avforums.com/review/datasat-rs20i-surround-sound-processor-review.565

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Finished the HVAC supply line with SoundVAC Inline Duct Silencer. The airflow is very quiet. Barely audible, even with my ear right next to the vent.

054.jpg

055.jpg

056.jpg

Sprayed expanding foam between the rear double-wall assembly.

057.jpg

177 wires run.

Here's a photo of my wire tally. You can see all of the different days I spent wiring.

060.jpg

Updated numbered speaker configuration per Dolby's Atmos ceiling specifications.

Front Wall (6)
Left
Left Height
Center
Center Height
Right
Right Height

Left Wall (3)
Left Wide
Left Wide 2
Left Surround

Right Wall (3)
Right Wide
Right Wide 2
Right Surround

Back Wall (3)
Left Back Surround
Center Back Surround
Right Back Surround

Subwoofers (16)
Left
Center
Right
Left Wide
Left Wide 2
Left Surround
Right Wide
Right Wide 2
Right Surround
Left Back Surround
Center Back Surround
Right Back Surround
Left Riser
Right Riser
Left Buttkicker
Right Buttkicker

Ceiling (10)
Left Front
Right Front
Left Front-Middle
Right Front-Middle
Left Middle
Right Middle
Left Rear-Middle
Right Rear-Middle
Left Rear
Right Rear
058.jpg

059.jpg

Next up... putty pads for my electrical boxes.

Last edited:

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That's going to be a killer of a home theater when you are finally finished, i'm a little jealous. :D

Reactions: PMF

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Okay, so I feel the need to clarify even further what the numbered speaker configuration is, now that Dolby's Atmos Home Theater White Paper has just been released.

The maximum speaker capacity for Atmos is 24.1.10.

Up until now, I've left out a little bit of information concerning my wiring configuration. Allow me to explain.

To most of my speaker wiring locations, I actually ran two separate speaker wires. Both a 10 and 12 gauge. My numbered configuration actually left out the 12 guage wires because they were only installed as backup.

But if i counted them into the total number of available channels, my system could easily stretch to a

Front Wall (9)
Left x 2
Left Height
Center x 2
Center Height
Right x 2
Right Height

Left Wall (6)
Left Wide x 2
Left Wide 2 x 2
Left Surround x 2

Right Wall (6)
Right Wide x 2
Right Wide 2 x 2
Right Surround x 2

Back Wall (6)
Left Back Surround x 2
Center Back Surround x 2
Right Back Surround x 2

Subwoofers (16)
Left
Center
Right
Left Wide
Left Wide 2
Left Surround
Right Wide
Right Wide 2
Right Surround
Left Back Surround
Center Back Surround
Right Back Surround
Left Riser
Right Riser
Left Buttkicker
Right Buttkicker

Ceiling (10)
Left Front
Right Front
Left Front-Middle
Right Front-Middle
Left Middle
Right Middle
Left Rear-Middle
Right Rear-Middle
Left Rear
Right Rear

NBPk402

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron
Hi Brian,
Your build is coming along very nicely! Question: What are you using for holding the insulation to the walls in post #1? I have heard some people use screws and fender washers, but I have not been able to find screws that are long enough... Are they a specialty product?

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
ellisr63 said:
Hi Brian,
Your build is coming along very nicely! Question: What are you using for holding the insulation to the walls in post #1? I have heard some people use screws and fender washers, but I have not been able to find screws that are long enough... Are they a specialty product?
That insulation was installed when they built the house. Since then, as you can see, I've taken it all down so that I could check for foundation cracks. I found some, and had them filled.

The insulation is being held onto the wall with nails and washers. I assume they shot the nails in with a gun. I literally just pulled them out with my hammer.

I would assume you could hold it in place with screws as well. They do sell special concrete screws for this purpose. But you would have to pre-drill holes.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Any thoughts on amplification yet, or is that already taken care of? What are you up to, 43 channels(!) :) not counting subs (all powered?). How many dedicated lines do you have for the room? Nice, precise job. :thumbsup: I need to add another dedicated 20 amp line in my room soon.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Dr Griffin said:
Any thoughts on amplification yet, or is that already taken care of? What are you up to, 43 channels(!) :) not counting subs (all powered?). How many dedicated lines do you have for the room? Nice, precise job. :thumbsup: I need to add another dedicated 20 amp line in my room soon.
No thoughts on amplification yet. The GoldenEar's have built-in amps for their subwoofer portions, but the tower itself will obviously still need a standard amp to drive it.

My guess is that I'll have some mega-pre/pro and a bunch of separate amps driving all of the speakers.

Just recounted and I was way off. For my home theater, I supplied the following circuits.
  • Lighting / General Purpose Outlets
  • Subwoofer
  • Subwoofer
  • Speakers
  • Speakers
  • Speakers
  • Speakers
  • Speakers
  • Speakers
  • Projector
  • Equipment Rack
Installed my first putty pad last night. Will post pictures once I install more.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I'm sussing out the details for a speaker wall baffle for behind an AT screen, including 5 of the 7 Atmos screen channels. The other 2 will be eventually angled toward the center of the room from the edges of the screen to complete the front portion of the "circle". Lots of time and consideration needed to get it right, but I don't have to tell you that.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Dr Griffin said:
How many dedicated lines do you have for the room?
Just recounted and I was way off. For my home theater, I supplied the following circuits.
  • Lighting / General Purpose Outlets
  • Subwoofer
  • Subwoofer
  • Speakers
  • Speakers
  • Speakers
  • Speakers
  • Speakers
  • Speakers
  • Projector
  • Equipment Rack

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Installed some Hilti Putty Pads inside the double-wall assembly in the rear of the room. These were easy to install for obvious reasons.

061.jpg

Up close shot.
062.jpg

The trick will be to come up with a way to install these along the inside wall and ceiling in such a way that allows the pad to create a seal around the box and onto the drywall. I have a plan and will let you know if it works.

Last edited:

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Ventilation system installed for projector location.

4" Supply / Return

067.jpg

Air supply outside of room

068.jpg

Other end terminated with a silent bathroom fan

066.jpg

065.jpg

064.jpg

Fan suspended with isolation clips

063.jpg

Last edited:

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
About getting a seal with the putty pads. It isn't necessary with the putty pad. You can put the putty pad around the box before putting in the dry wall, and then caulk or fill any spaces left between the gel and dry wall after the dry wall is up, if you have to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks