What's new

the display dillema (1 Viewer)

Mark_k

Auditioning
Hi!
This is my first post and I'm going to buy a home theater system. I have 7500$ to spend on it of which 4000$ I'm going to spend on a display.
Now, the problem is what kind of display?
RP-CRT, FP-LCD, RP-LCD, plasma, other?
These are my needs:
*The display must be HDTV with 720p minimun (not 720i!),
*it should display solid natural colors because picture detail means nothing to me if black is actually grey and red is actually orange.
*living room, light controlled with a dimmer, must be medium lit on most of the time for daily life.
*The display must show a clear picture under medium light
for daily life TV watching (talk shows, sports,programs etc.)
*must have a reasonably long lifetime
*must fit for gaming or static picture viewing(D-Cam photos etc.)

thx!

craig_curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Craig
i'd kinda like to know the answer to this one.. but it seems to me you'll be looking at either a EDTV plasma or a decent RPTV. I've looked at some pretty nice ones at Best Buy (mitsubishi) for less than 2500... HDTV capable. Another option might be DLP (which if I had the 3000 that's what I would be getting...

then spend the difference on upgraded audio...

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
If i had about $5000, i would consider the BenQ8700 front dlp projector, while this fits a lot of your requirements, it does not fit them all...

these should help you in your search

1. DLP, LCD, plasma are all inherently progessive devices
2. DLP and LCD do not suffer from burn-in
3. CRT front or rear and plasma can suffer burn-in
4. Front projector bulbs only last about 2000 to 3000 hours
5. CRT's and Plasma's last around 30,000
6. Front Projection will need to be more light controlled
7. EDTV is only 480p (i am pretty sure, but not 100%)

i hope this helps

Mike

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Since you're asking for specific recommendations, I've moved your thread here to Display Devices. The Basics area would be good if this thread were limited to discussing the advantages and disadvantages of the various display technologies.

Mark_k

Auditioning
some questions:

1.what's EDTV?
2.exactly how much will the picture of the front projector will degrade under normal light?
3.The projector bulb is replacable isn't it?
4.exactly what does the burn-in do?

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
1. EDTV is enhanced definition, which means it accepts and displays 480p...your standard tube tv only does about 480i, so even if you have a progessive scan dvd player it wouldn't make any difference with a standard definition tv, in fact you probably would see no picture if you set your dvd player to output 480p.

2. really depends on the projector...here is a simple test, go to a few bars (i really hate to do this research) that have projectors for sports and such, check the picture quality. Since most bars have enough of light for eating, walking around, etc...you should be able to gauge if the light in the bar is equal to what you want in your house.

3. Yes, the bulbs are replacble, but run in the ballpark of 300-500 dollars.

4. there is a master burn-in thread...on the top of the first page in display devices, i am pretty sure everything is covered in there

any further questions? hope this helps

Mike

Mark_k

Auditioning
How about LCD? Maybe LCD would fit all of my requirements, i mean, no burn in,HDTV, 720p; nevertheless, i was thinking, how's it's picture quality?

Users who are viewing this thread