"The Dish" is Delicious!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Kline, Sep 6, 2001.

1. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

This sweet and funny film based on a true story of events at a receiving dish in Parkes Australia during the Apollo 11 moon landing was not widely distributed to theatres by WB. Nice performances by Sam Neill and a mostly Australian cast (natch). The transfer is visually beautiful with English subtitles for those who may find some of the Aussie dialogue a little difficult to understand. Recommended. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Peter Kline on September 06, 2001 at 06:41 PM]

2. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    After hearing all the great word-of-mouth this film has been recieving, I rented it last night. Wasn't disappointed. Quite funny. And yes, I had to use the subtitles once or twice.
    The only complaint I have is that there's no supplemental features on the disc. In and of itself, this doesn't bother me, but in the case of "The Dish," such material ALREADY EXISTS, and is included on the Region 2 release. I'm not sure what there is specifically, but I think it has multiple commentaries and some behind the scenes stuff. I have two questions:
    I can understand that Warner would be unwilling to spend money on supplements for such an obscure movie, but since the material already exists, what reason did they have for not including it? Is it a rights issue of some sort, perhaps?
    Is there an NTSC version of "The Dish" available that includes some or all of the supplements missing from the Region 1 release?
    Thanks.

3. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

4. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

If you're lucky enough to have multi-region PAL capability then you really need to go ahead and grab the R4 SE. I just received my copy today for $17 shipped and it only took four days to arrive. Looking forward to watching it this evening.

5. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Thanks for the info and suggestions, guys. Not to drag this thread too far off topic, but when I get around to buying this disc, I'll be sticking with the standard R1 release. Supplements are nice, but the movie is what counts, and the R1 version doesn't have any of that nasy PAL speed-up.
    Maybe Waner will someday see fit to release a proper Special Edition of "The Dish." Here's hoping.

[Edited last by Carl Fink on September 06, 2001 at 08:34 PM]

6. Karsten Serck

Karsten Serck Auditioning

The Dish is one of the best movies of the year. A very funny feel good movie. What a shame that Warner didn't include more Bonus Material on their disc. The Region 4 disc is really cool and contains a lot of historic footage and audio clips from the Apollo Mission I haven't seen before.
    ------------------
    Karsten Serck
    Editor of AREA DVD
    www.areadvd.com