The Directors Fight for Widescreen?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, May 10, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Here's a question....We know there are a few directors who really do care if their movie is in widescreen or not, so here's something..

Why not have someone like, say, George Lucas, do a short 5 minute featurette on the 'Myth and Truths about Widescreen"? He can bring in all his other big name director buddies, and show the advantages of having a film in widescreen.

Also, with his pull, next time the Star Wars movies repeat on ANY Broadcast station like Fox, what are the chances he can get them shown in widescreen, with the featurette showing in between commercial breaks?

Would this help any? I think once people see SW widescreen, they'll REALLY notice the difference.

2. KevA

KevA Stunt Coordinator

I was amazed to see last night, flipping by Fox, that The Phantom Menace was shown pan-and-scan. It was awful for the few minutes I watched it.

Horrible.

kfa

3. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

That's a great idea, Neil V. I agree with you, KevA. Any movie (save 'A Bug's Life' and others specifically designed for 4:3) broadcast on television always looks terrible to me (everything poorly framed, arbitrary 'camera movements').

Thank goodness for CFMT (Canada's First Multicultural Television station) that shows the occasional Hong Kong movie in widescreen.

4. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

Slightly off topic but the recent showing of the SW movies on FOX were in widescreen at the proper OAR (not cropped to 16:9)....on the digital OTA broadcast :) Except for the commercials and stuff they all looked awesome.

5. Dennis_H

Dennis_H Stunt Coordinator

I watched part of Episode 1 last night on FOX to show my wife what all was missing on a pan and scan version with some success. It was really chopped bad. Then a commercial for radio Shack came on. IT was widescreen...

6. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Anybody know if the OT will be showing in widescreen again anytime soon?

7. Mr. Brian

Mr. Brian Stunt Coordinator

You think George Lucas is a director? I don't think so. I know Scorsese has a lot to say about this.

Brian

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

And Mr. Scorsese happens to be fighting the good fight in his joint campaign with Philips to educate the public about which films "must be seen in widescreen."

There is no more respected a filmmaker working today.

9. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    The amount of involvment, or lack of involvment in this case, by directors to get involved in this fight has always puzzled me. I don't know what the real story is why they won't get involved, but it seems as though they don't care and that bothers me.

I tell you this, if I made a movie, the public will watch it in it's proper OAR or they won't be able to watch it at all.

10. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

11. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

I guess the ultimate they have to face, is either making movies and live with P&S versions on video, or not making movies at all. Demanding widescreen presentation sounds well and good, but I kind of doubt how much power most directors has over a studio in the end. Also, how would they go about demanding it? Will they demand a clause in the contract that says all versions released on video or aired on television must be letterboxed? In the end, although a director may be the one person most directly involved in the creation of the movie, I guess the end product is still the property of the studio, and thus the directors are working at the mercy of the studios and not the other way around.

Shame though...