What's new

The Directors Fight for Widescreen? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Here's a question....We know there are a few directors who really do care if their movie is in widescreen or not, so here's something..

Why not have someone like, say, George Lucas, do a short 5 minute featurette on the 'Myth and Truths about Widescreen"? He can bring in all his other big name director buddies, and show the advantages of having a film in widescreen.

Also, with his pull, next time the Star Wars movies repeat on ANY Broadcast station like Fox, what are the chances he can get them shown in widescreen, with the featurette showing in between commercial breaks?

Would this help any? I think once people see SW widescreen, they'll REALLY notice the difference.

KevA

Stunt Coordinator
I was amazed to see last night, flipping by Fox, that The Phantom Menace was shown pan-and-scan. It was awful for the few minutes I watched it.

Horrible.

kfa

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
That's a great idea, Neil V. I agree with you, KevA. Any movie (save 'A Bug's Life' and others specifically designed for 4:3) broadcast on television always looks terrible to me (everything poorly framed, arbitrary 'camera movements').

Thank goodness for CFMT (Canada's First Multicultural Television station) that shows the occasional Hong Kong movie in widescreen.

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
Slightly off topic but the recent showing of the SW movies on FOX were in widescreen at the proper OAR (not cropped to 16:9)....on the digital OTA broadcast :) Except for the commercials and stuff they all looked awesome.

Dennis_H

Stunt Coordinator
I watched part of Episode 1 last night on FOX to show my wife what all was missing on a pan and scan version with some success. It was really chopped bad. Then a commercial for radio Shack came on. IT was widescreen...

Mr. Brian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
You think George Lucas is a director? I don't think so. I know Scorsese has a lot to say about this.

Brian

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And Mr. Scorsese happens to be fighting the good fight in his joint campaign with Philips to educate the public about which films "must be seen in widescreen."

There is no more respected a filmmaker working today.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
The amount of involvment, or lack of involvment in this case, by directors to get involved in this fight has always puzzled me. I don't know what the real story is why they won't get involved, but it seems as though they don't care and that bothers me.

I tell you this, if I made a movie, the public will watch it in it's proper OAR or they won't be able to watch it at all.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I don't know what the real story is why they won't get involved, but it seems as though they don't care and that bothers me.
I agree that the Directors aren't doing very little to push OAR.
Scorsese may be pushing widescreen, but in the meantime he has no problem with having his films presented in P&S.
The bottom line is money, and these directors aren't yet willing to make a real stand for fear of losing profits.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
I guess the ultimate they have to face, is either making movies and live with P&S versions on video, or not making movies at all. Demanding widescreen presentation sounds well and good, but I kind of doubt how much power most directors has over a studio in the end. Also, how would they go about demanding it? Will they demand a clause in the contract that says all versions released on video or aired on television must be letterboxed? In the end, although a director may be the one person most directly involved in the creation of the movie, I guess the end product is still the property of the studio, and thus the directors are working at the mercy of the studios and not the other way around.

Shame though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akstar777
Recent bookmarks