What's new

The Dilemma (1 Viewer)

Eugene_R

Auditioning
I am looking to buy a new TV. Mostly for DirectV and DVD's but I do occasionally play Xbox.

I currently have a 36" Hitachi in my living room and a 26" Mitsu (almost 20 years old) in my bedroom.

The dilemma is how I should go at this point since I am on a budget for this purchase ($1500 Max). I see the following scenarios:

* I could purchase a cheap widescreen rptv like a 46" and put it into my living room and move the 36" in to my bedroom. I'm still a little iffy on projection, especially since I can't get into LCD or DLP zone.

* I could purchase a 34" widescreen HD ready tube to go into the bedroom but they are expensive.

* I could buy a cheaper 32" or 36" HD tube and say to heck with widescreen until later.

I keep thinking I should purchase widescreen for future considerations, but I can't really find what I want for my checkbook.

I know this question is asked here daily but I would like some input from you in the know.

Thanks

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Not as expensive as you think.

The absolute best of this breed is the Sony KD34XBR960, which I own. It's MSRP is now $1899. That is your absolute price ceiling. Best Buy is now carrying these sets, among other places. I'm sure if you haggle a little bit, you can get an even better price.

The next one down would be the Sony KD34xs955. It's the same tube and same basic fundamentals, bt no PIP and no firewire and a few other bonus bells and whistles are missing. It's about $200-$300 less, MSRP, than the XBR960. Sears, Circuit City, Best Buy...everyone under the sun pretty much, sells this set.

IMHO, these two Sonys are the kings of the mountain for 34 inch WS tubes.

You don't want to see what RPTV's picture quality looks like at $1500-$2000. Here's a hint: It's not even close.

Best value for your dollar, best PQ, future proofed = Widescreen Direct View Tube.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Eugene

You are used to viewing 4:3 material on a 36 inch 4:3. If you go to a 34 inch 16:9, the 4:3 image will be the equivalent of a 28 inch 4:3. How appealing is that?

Best Buy recently had the well respected 46 inch Sony 46WS520 for $999. Onecall has it for $1120 right now (plus shipping). So for less than $1500 you can get a very highly regarded 46 inch CRT-RPTV that will give you 84% more screen area than a 34 inch 16:9. We are not talking about a cheap RPTV, we are talking top notch. I had a great 35 inch tube and wanted something bigger. I ended up with a 65 inch CRT-RPTV and can't imagine watching a 34 inch unless I sat less than 5 feet away.

A 46 inch will give you 10% more screen area than your 36 inch tube on 4:3 material, and 95% more screen area than your 36 inch tube on 16:9 material.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

There are quite a few CRT RPTV owners (including a few ISF calibrators) that will vehemently disagree with this, especially the "best value for your dollar" statement. In fact, if the best value criteria includes screen inches per dollar, it is flat out misinformation.

Eugene_R

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies. It just seems like a TV purchase is the most troublesome purchases of all. How much thought do you give to the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks