The DigitalBits.com 'Piracy' article..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Sep 9, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Halfway through reading this, and this paragraph caught my attention...
    >>As Intel's Vadasz sees it, movie companies have to make the leap to the Internet, just as the recording industry had to move from vinyl records to CDs and is now slowly moving to online distribution. "At least 90 percent of the issue is having the right business model," he says. "Right now, the movie industry has virtually none that uses the Internet.>>
    Here's an idea that I was toying around with..
    Movie industry types want to issue bare bones DVD releases. Consumers usually skip on buying them, because they know a special edition is more likley down the line. So, why not this.
    With so many people upgrading to cable modems, have the movie industry setup a website. Somebody who can get most of the movie studios onto one site. The Studio cleans up a movie for digital release. They put it up on the website for say, $10's per download. The movie is downloaded, the file is burned, and the file deletes itself after 1.5 hours to prevent file sharing. This could apply to bare bones releases, and Special Editions(Movie Only, no extra features).
    This should please both. The consumer gets a good, high quality movie, the studio gets paid.
    Could this work?
    The original article is here..
    http://nationaljournal.com/about/njw...02/0906nj1.htm

2. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

It doesn't make sense to me. The numbers don't work. Video files are orders of magnitude larger than audio files. Even at a very optimistic 1 megbit per second transfer rate, it would take almost a full day to download a high quality video file (the current Internet formats are NOT acceptable quality).

3. Daniel Swartz

Daniel Swartz Second Unit

Not to mention the antitrust issues... The studios don't own the exhibitors for a reason. Granted, this line has blurred somewhat in recent years. However, given the number of corporate scandals that exist today, I'm guessing this "separation of powers" will remain in place.

4. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I don't see why the movie studios can't each setup their own website and offer the basic dvd by internet direct ordering for like $10-$15 shipping included.

6. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

I agree with Dustin, I'd buy so many more DVD's at that price.

7. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

8. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

9. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

What do you mean "not entirely practical"? It's not practical at all. If you can burn it to a DVD, then you can copy it right back to the hard drive to distribute... Copy protection only bothers legitimate users.

10. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Well, Neil, your wish came true. Sort of.
    http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/sil...ey/4037936.htm

11. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Not only that, but a measly 700 megabytes in size?? Can you say "overcompressed lousy quality"?

12. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>>Now, if the file was unlocked forever, heck yeah I'd download it. Not these movies, but others for sure. Would be nice to have a quality digital archive on my server.>>
    Question though, assuming I'm reading this correctly. You want to be able to download the file, keep it on the hard drive, and be able to watch it forever. How many people have 60GB drives, and would keep, say, 55 movies at a GB each on the drive for repeated watching?
    If you mean, sign up to the site, pay to watch and download a movie once, and then be able to redownload it free anytime, that I'd go for... and if download speeds just get faster over time, this might be more usefull..
    As someoe else stated, I was originally stating that the file on the computer would be deleted after 2 hours or so, and give the downloader a chance to burn it onto DVD for unlimited useage. There would also be some type of encryption that would allow the user to copy the DVD for a backup, but he wouldn't be able to completly copy it back onto the computer for postings on the internet.
    Don't know if that is feasably possible, but just an idea..

13. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor