The Digital Theater -- Dying?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Allan Jayne, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Is digitaltheater.com dying?
    I never can seem to get on its forum these days, always getting error messages like "the page cannot be found".
    Sometimes the home page comes up partially and then replaced completely by an error message.
    Sometimes the home page is there but if every link I clicked on gave an error message!
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

2. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

3. Rob FM

Rob FM Second Unit

R
    Well....it seems "broken" real good now?!?

What's going on?
    If you know/understand Cold Fusion, you might be able to decipher the error codes.

???

~Rob

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

The Forum link on the leftside menu of the Main Page hasnt worked for several months, but I recently found a back way in after abandoning the site several months ago.
    Today, there is an error, and they MAY be adjusting the server or database, I dont know. I recently saved this link direct to the forum, the same Gordon posts:
    http://www.digitaltheater.com/cfb/index.cfm?CFB=1
    Anyway, sometime last month, RickyT from N.J. went and became a moderator there, partially, it seems, over one of those "HTF Censorship!" mini-paranoias, you know, like "HTF moderators remove posts that dont agree with management's beliefs." Well, yeah!
    So a small cadre is trying to revive interest in The DT in the absence of any public acknowledgments from Harv and Todd, the owners.

5. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

I haven't visited there in a few days, but I didn't have any problem getting into the forums------there just isn't much activity there.

6. DarrenA

DarrenA Second Unit

Looks to me like they officially closed up shop. The domain name apparently has been taken over by a different company altogether...www.digitaltheater.com
    Sad day for me, The Digital Theater was my first Internet forum I used and was actually a staff member for several years.[​IMG]

7. Rob FM

Rob FM Second Unit

R
    Yep, all gone!

I wonder where Dean McManis is going to hang out now... he had 5500+ posts there.
    Would have been nice to have page saying goodbye, or a warning or something.

Never did hear much from Harv after 2002.

Bye "Digital Theater" - thanks for the memories!

~Rob

8. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I used to hang out there too...that's how I learned to tweak my TW40X81!

9. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Quote:
    "I wonder where Dean McManis is going to hang out now... he had 5500+ posts there."
    ------------------------
    I believe Dean hangs out with me and Mike Knapp at www.hometheatertalk.com [​IMG]

10. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I used to hang out on DT years ago under the ITISI moniker. You'll actually find a lot of the old folks at HTGuide now.

11. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

In case Todd, Harv, Dean, etc ever hit After Hours, I'd like to thank them (again) for my current hobby. While they initially enabled me to spend thousands of dollars on this "hobby", I have also saved thousands.

I raise a glass of cheer to Digitaltheater.Com and wish them clear horizons on new journeys.

12. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

here here [​IMG]

13. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

Well, I gave DT a lot, but I took away much more. In case you don't know, I used to moderate audio there in DT's hay day when active membership was busting at the seams. It was also my start in the board scene except for the old alt. groups. It was after I left that things really went downhill. I'm not saying it was associated with my leaving. Perhaps partly though. I did take several folks with me to HTT where I helped Mike startup. But they did carry on pretty good for a while after.

Later of course, I started my own forum, and cable company. So, as I say, I owe DT a lot. It gave me my start. But I really think when I left, it was symptomatic of things happening at the time. Ricky replaced me as audio moderator there when I left.

Lex

14. Randy Ghost

Randy Ghost Agent

Not sure if any of you remeber me (aka Ghost) but I was an Admin at DT right up to the last day. Todd has sold the URL to Audiogon an Ebay like electronic seller. Sad day cause I started there just like many of you.

15. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Who could forget Ghost!