What's new

“The Dick Van Dyke Show Revisited” airs 9 p.m. ET Tuesday on CBS. (1 Viewer)

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
They have written a new episode of "The Dick Van Dyke Show". It's going to actually be an episode, rather than a sit around and talk about clips show.

Carl Reiner has written it, and the surviving cast has returned.

I have always regarded The Dick Van Dyke Show as the finest comedy tv show ever. It's comedy endures today, due to it's focus on the family. Every fight that Rob and Laura had is something that any married couple can understand.

I am very excited about this one!

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
FYI, Dick Van Dyke returned to his hometown of Danville last week to watch the Danville High School production of Bye, Bye Birdie. There was some nice stories about his return in our local newspaper.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
www.dvdondvd.com

www.thewalnuttimes.com

>>> "The Dick Van Dyke Show Revisited special was taped at CBS Radford on March 10, 11, and 12 of 2004. It is absolutely fantastic and fans are going to
love it -- as what was once black-and-white becomes color...

Carl Reiner has written a wonderful script which reunites all of our favorite characters. Rob, Laura, Ritchie, Sally, Millie, Alan Brady, and Stacey Petrie all return in what is being termed the '159th episode' of The Dick Van Dyke Show. Sam Denoff and Bill Persky, original Dick Van Dyke Show writers and producers, also returned to work on the production as story consultants. The new storyline will also include remembrances of Buddy, Mel, and Jerry, through the use of clips from the original show.

Ray Romano will host the special which will air on CBS on May 11th at 9:00 PM (ET), and then repeat on TV Land on May 21st."

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I think we are very fortuneate that so many of the regulars are still alive. I am looking forward to this program.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I believe Richie has a part in it. In TV Guide he is pictured in the new cast photo; there is even an anecdote about how many people didn't recognise him and he almost wasn't allowed to participate in the photo shoot.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
So what that Laura Petrie tells a dirty joke. She lives in 2004. Are we supposed to think they still sleep in seperate beds???

It sounds like he had an expectation of the show before he saw it, and was then mad because "his version" of the reunion show didn't happen.

We'll just have to wait and see.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Yes indeed. It's nice. But nearly all of its contents you can hear (and see) for yourself thanks to the extras on the DVD-on-DVD sets.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I didn't think the show was terrible. Indeed I rather enjoyed the premise of the "new" epsisode. I just wish they'd 86'd the clips and had the whole hour be devoted to an update of everyone's life. For example, Rob probably retired 15 years ago, but Laura mentioned that he hasn't worked for Alan for almost 40 years. What did he do for the next 25 years?

I will say Dick Van Dyke is amazing. He stepped into that character perfectly as did Rose Marie.

Steve

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
The intro by Ray Romano just wasn't needed. Why was he there?

IMHO, the original series was never LOL funny. It raised the occassional chuckle but it never busted a gut like Lucy, The Beverly Hillbillies, or Green Acres. The reunion was no different. Well produced and acted but only moderately funny.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

IMO, since it was not like The Beverly Hillbillies and Green Acres is why I like this show so much. It was an intellegently written show and stands up very well 40 years later.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member

Now, I like "The Dick Van Dyke Show" as much as (or more than) the next guy. I've purchased the DVDs and I watched and enjoyed last night's special. However, I cannot sit idly by while somebody implies that "Green Acres" was less "intelligently written" that 'Dick Van Dyke' was. Though certainly not for all tastes, the broad farcical writing on "Green Acres" was brilliant, moreso (in my opinion) than the writing on "The Dick Van Dyke Show." By far. (Don't read that as a knock on DVD, but a huge plug for GA.)

On the other hand, the 'Dick Van Dyke' reunion special was a hundred times better than the "Green Acres" reunion movie from about 15 years ago.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Carl Reiner's currently fast tracking an animated series with all of the surviving cast members to fill in Rob's career as a screenwriter after leaving Alan's employ. This special, in a way, was testing the waters to see if there'd be a market.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks