What's new

The Devils (1 Viewer)

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
Years ago Dick Smith ( He did the amazing make up on The Exorcist) told me that if Regan stabbed herself repeatedly for the masturbation scene it would get an "R" rating but if it was slow and sensual it would get an "X" rating....... A truly twisted ratings board......violence is ok...sex is not.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
All right, here's my big question. Why no blu-ray? BFI are famous for their wonderful BDs, which are full of delightful film grain and little or no artificial enhancement. I could get giddy with excitement if THE DEVILS in BD were being released. Does this mean that WB want it for themselves in that format? If not, then they are really being bastards about it. The film is beautiful and, with or without the more extreme stuff, a real hoot to watch. This is the 21st Century, although even Artificial Eye is back-peddling with another standard release of Bondarchuk's WAR AND PEACE. God only knows why. My feeling is that they will certainly lose customers over this. Doesn't everyone have a 1080p HDTV these days? Anyone know more about this?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Radioman970 said:
^ well, sex with a cross is not okay but violent with the cross is. Is that right? :P
Just remember the MPAA butchery of Eyes Wide Shut and Trainspotting. You can't look like you're into it.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Ed Lachmann said:
All right, here's my big question. Why no blu-ray? BFI are famous for their wonderful BDs, which are full of delightful film grain and little or no artificial enhancement. I could get giddy with excitement if THE DEVILS in BD were being released. Does this mean that WB want it for themselves in that format? If not, then they are really being bastards about it. The film is beautiful and, with or without the more extreme stuff, a real hoot to watch. This is the 21st Century, although even Artificial Eye is back-peddling with another standard release of Bondarchuk's WAR AND PEACE. God only knows why. My feeling is that they will certainly lose customers over this. Doesn't everyone have a 1080p HDTV these days? Anyone know more about this?
The BFI folks are obviously big proponents of Blu-ray, but their contract agreement, set by Warner Bros., stipulates no Blu-ray edition. It's a mystery as to why since WB, either in the States or U.K., clearly has no interest in doing anything with the title themselves.

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised that once everyone who is interested in this movie spends money on the DVD, the blu-ray will be announced shortly after that.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Eric_M said:
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised that once everyone who is interested in this movie spends money on the DVD, the blu-ray will be announced shortly after that.
What, exactly, would be WHV's motivation for doing that? They're already aware of the demand for this film so I don't really see the point of licensing it out to a third party, having all of those consumers gobble up the BFI disc, and then releasing it themselves on Blu-ray. They would deservedly earn the ire of all the fans who will have most likely purchased the BFI DVD at that point and most definitely lose a good number of Blu-ray sales.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Jon Hertzberg
What, exactly, would be WHV's motivation for doing that? They're already aware of the demand for this film so I don't really see the point of licensing it out to a third party, having all of those consumers gobble up the BFI disc, and then releasing it themselves on Blu-ray. They would deservedly earn the ire of all the fans who will have most likely purchased the BFI DVD at that point and most definitely lose a good number of Blu-ray sales.
I have to unfortunately agree with you. Warner's has been approached by several small companies about releasing THE DEVILS. and has turned then all down and have stead fast answered questions concerning it's release with a positive NO. There will have to be a change in ownership of Warner's for this title to ever see a Region 1 or A DVD/Blu-ray. I have to assume that the BFI request was really done as a favor to them, especially since there are so many restrictions to the release. This is also the only instance I can recall of Warner's ever licensing out a title to a third party. If anyone wants a copy of the film, this more than likely this will be their only chance and I am glad I have a region free player.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Jon, thank you for the clarification on this. I'm more than a bit peeved at WB for this and several other "insults" they've hurled at classic film buffs recently. The lack of a BD version of Fred Niblo's wonderful '25 BEN-HUR in the big box set and the lame standard only edition of MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS in the limited CITIZEN KANE box really, in my opinion. were a new low. I can't imagine why they would force BFI to omit a BD version, It boggles the imagination! My only dream is that the imminent success of THE ARTIST will force them to reconsider how they've treated their vast library of silents and early talkies. They're sitting on THE WIND, GREED , THE CROWD, THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE and THE BIG PARADE. God, let some justice be done to these and so many more gems in the hopefully near future!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Warner Brothers has it's head so far up it's ass with this release I wont be be buying the BFI version. If WB don't want to treat the film with the respect it deserves, then to hell with all of them, I'll keep the uncut version I have, flaws and all.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Why doesn't Warner Bros just sell the film? WB can easily remove their name from the titles and credits and the new company can issue the film with their name. Warner would never have to be connected with the film and it's distribution ever again.

This is like "Song of the South" where new corporate heads make decisions regarding art produced by prior owners of those companies.

If "My Fair Lady" can belong outright to CBS (who always owned the rights) why not any other film WB once produced.

CBS does issue "My Fair Lady" with the Warner Bros credit, but honestly they don't have to since it's no longer a WB film. Same with "Around the World in 80 Days " Mike Todd's estate/Elizabeth Talyor owned the rights not WB or UA who help film it

Sell "The Devils"

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
The issue with The Devils and Warner Bros isn't anything new, except for the miracle that it was actually licensed out to the BFI. I strongly doubt there will be a blu-ray, especially since BFI still has a habit releasing DVD-only releases, like with the most recent volumes of the Adelphi Studio releases and my doubts that WB has made a HD transfer of the film. I'll probably get the BFI edition mostly because of the generous extras that are included with the release.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by GMpasqua
Sell "The Devils"
They won't for they really want to keep it under lock and key as much as they can. It is not only their thought to never release it, but to make sure very few people ever see again. The announcement that they licensed a cut DVD version to BFI is almost unimaginable. Someone was really owed a big favor or they are one hell of a negotiator. Anyway the DVD has not been released yet, and just as the streaming of the title was removed within 24 hours, this might also happen before the DVD gets into any one's hands.

R.I.P. Ken Russell. OK, Warner Brothers, what better way to pay tribute to this one-of-a-kind filmmaker than to finally give us the opportunity to purchase "The Devils" in the US?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
You're right. We recently got The Boy Friend from WA and The Music Lovers from MGM-MOD, so why not The Devils now?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Thank you Mr. Russell for some very interesting, entertaining and of course controversial films. Thank you for sharing your talent with us.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Bill Huelbig
R.I.P. Ken Russell. OK, Warner Brothers, what better way to pay tribute to this one-of-a-kind filmmaker than to finally give us the opportunity to purchase "The Devils" in the US?
Nothing like a death to get the corporate vultures moving to capitalize on the corpse.
Sad to see him go. I'd argue that Russell was one of the top 3 British directors. Shame he wasn't properly recognized during his lifetime.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks