What's new

The Devils (1 Viewer)

Martin S

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone know what happened to Ken Russell's THE DEVILS that was meant to come out on R2 this year? It just suddenly seemed to disappear off the schedule. PLAY have got it down now as T.B.A.

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...too 'controversial'?... I remember a scene where a nun (Vanessa Redgrave?) masturbated using a crucifix - the packed Swiss audience in the sold-out cinema let out a collective gasp...
* Ken Russell doesn't report hysteria, he markets it - New Yorker, 1976
* A garish glossary of sado-masochism ... a taste for visual sensation that makes scene after scene look like the masturbatory fantasies of a Roman Catholic boyhood - Alexander Walker
. . . . . .

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...it was Kino Rex, on the Bahnhofstrasse, in Zurich, back in the days when this or that movie (e.g. "Harold And Maude", "Topaz") could still pack an 800-seat house for the 9 p.m. show on a Saturday night...
. . . :) . . .

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
I'm very intrigued by this film, and if it indeed turns out to be the completely uncut version, I'll most probably pick it up when it's released. It has so much clout among the Euro-cultists that I can easily sell it (for profit, I suspect) if it turns out to be shit. By the way, Hendrik, what's your opinion on Salò?

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
"...By the way, Hendrik, what's your opinion on Salò?"
...erm... surely now, you're not 'elevating' Russell's The Devils to the same level as Pasolini's Salò ?...
. . . :frowning: . . .

Martin S

Stunt Coordinator
You're right Hendrik, there's no contest between SALO and THE DEVILS......THe DEVILS wins hands down!!

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
Most of you guys have probably already read this, but here's the thread in question detailing the latest bad news on the (aborted?) restoration of THE DEVILS. Can't this movie, and its fans, ever catch a break?
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=106477
For what it's worth, I prefer THE DEVILS to SALO as well. The latter is okay but to my mind doesn't compare to the richness of Ken Russell's finest movie.

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
Look people, I haven't seen The Devils yet, so I wasn't trying to compare it to Salò (which I admire greatly without enjoying it at all); I just wanted to get Hendrik's opinion on another (unjustly?)infamous film. My question has now been answered in this thread and in another one at DVDTalk concerning Gaspar Noé's Irréversible...

JonathanG

Stunt Coordinator
word is though the docu will be shown only once on UK television and no luck whatsoever of inclusion on the DVD, if and when the DVD will ever materalizes. Maybe with the soon-to be release special edition of "Tommy" this might jumpstart a resurgence of Russell's other films to get proper DVD releases:

"The Devils" - 111min version
"The Boyfriend"

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
THE DEVILS has been released for rental or sale on iTunes, of all places. It is 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen and looks AMAZING compared to all the bootleg versions I've seen. The movie runs over 108 minutes, so it isn't the 103-minute R-rated cut. Still no official DVD release anywhere, but it has obviously been remastered for the iTunes version to be as good as it is.
Here are some pictures - perhaps this was the transfer that was created for the DVD that has yet to surface?
DEVILS00001.jpg

DEVILS00002.jpg

DEVILS00003.jpg

DEVILS00004.jpg

DEVILS00005.jpg

DEVILS00006.jpg

DEVILS00007.jpg

DEVILS00008.jpg

DEVILS00009.jpg

DEVILS00010.jpg

DEVILS00011.jpg

DEVILS00012.jpg

DEVILS00013.jpg

DEVILS00014.jpg

DEVILS00015.jpg

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
It says it is Rated R at iTunes, but from what I've read online "The Rape of Christ" sequence was never in ANY version of the movie. There was a 108-109 min X rated US cut, and then an 111 min UK X cut, and then a 103 min R-rated US version.
What I'd like to know is what is different between the US and UK X versions. I have the bootleg DVD from the UK broadcast and viewed it once, and now I've seen the full 2.35:1 version from iTunes. Nothing stuck out as different to me.
Some more images for you guys. One would never know how carefully composed the 2.35:1 frame is from that cropped UK broadcast or the 4x3 other cropped releases.
DEVILS0000A.jpg

DEVILS0000B.jpg

DEVILS0000C.jpg

DEVILS0000D.jpg

DEVILS0000E.jpg

DEVILS0000F.jpg

DEVILS0000G.jpg

DEVILS0000H.jpg

DEVILS0000I.jpg

DEVILS0000J.jpg

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
That UK broadcast DVD -- as bad as the image is (but as valuable as its existence has been in the interim) -- is heartbreaking when they pull the image back to 2.35:1 at the beginning of the end credits.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Will itunes allow you burn this one to a DVD...or does DRM get in the way?

Truly...I've watched that bootleg available on amazon.com once. As far as weird religious films go, it's epic and quite fun to watch, just like the original Wickerman. WB should really do a DVD-R of this film, at least... Let the customer decide what they want to see and not see!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks