What's new

The Devils - coming out on DVD in May (1 Viewer)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

Yes. It has been acknowledged that WB has lifted their embargo on unrated DVD releases. Thus many of us do expect that they will finally release the title. The fact that a cover was prepared indicates it will just be a matter of when rather than if.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I don't know that Warner ever had an embargo on "unrated" releases: there were several unrated releases that I can recall. I think the embargo was with respect to NC-17 and X-rated releases. Certainly corporate sibling New Line never had an issue with NC-17 rated releases.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
In a way, I'm glad this isn't coming out in May. It seemed like such a bare-bones, slap-dash effort. I want it properly presented as a special edition and made available in a Russell box-set.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
>>Make a Special Edtion type set priced retail about $39.99
--
I'd buy TWO copies

It would be great if they could also include a remastered LAIR OF THE WHITE WORM in a Russell box set , but I guess Lionsgate owns that-unless someone has better info

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I was looking at my post and happened upon the ultimate solution: why not let New Line release this, since New Line is being absorbed into Warner and has a history of releasing NC-17 rated titles?

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
Mark Kermode posted on his UK site nearly two years ago that a fully uncut DEVILS was imminent. Since it hasn't come out since then you can probably expect there's been a 'yes, no, maybe, errrr no' back-and-forth about the title. Warner now has a a relatively minor title like EXECUTIVE ACTION out via their Lancaster box, but a major release like THE DEVILS still sits in the vault. Kermode did hint obliquely at studio folk attending one screening in the UK and being extremely observant and attentive to reaction, as if they were judging things somehow.

If Warner brings it out minus solid extras, or in a cut version, we can all throw up our hands, as it'll almost certainly never be revisited. It's best to get this disc done right first time. As Tim Lucas quietly noted on the Mobius board, anyone close to Ken Russell would hopefully be recording commentary tracks with him for all his currently MIA movies, as the man is not getting any younger. THE DEVILS sits at the peak but all his 70's films really need to be done properly for DVD.

Of course, Warner's did mention recently that 'all' the titles mooted in previous chats as coming are still in the works. The release of the DVD cover was a 'mistake' but not a hoax or a piece of fan art, so THE DEVILS is theoretically coming, the questions being when, in what form, and with what extras?

Part of me has wondered sometimes, only half-jokingly, whether Warners has just been waiting for the current US administration to change before they put the movie out. We need this movie to be released but I sympathise with their need to step carefully. Still, CRUISING uncut hasn't provoked a big backlash as far as I can tell. (Many online reviews bemoaned the fact that Friedkin's even longer cut couldn't be found). If THE DEVILS is a hot potato then its release could be played down somewhat by sticking it in a Russell box and making it a box exclusive. Still, I don't know if WB would want to squelch their sales of it by doing that, and I don't even know if many other 70's Russell titles are with Warner. (I think VALENTINO is a Warner title but don't know about the others).

The version of THE DEVILS that everyone is hoping to see is clearly the uncut version of the film with the recently found explicit scenes restored, a Russell (and likely Kermode) commentary, and the appropriate UK doco attached on a second disc if need be. Releasing the film cut or minus extras will provoke a lot of fan outcry. Warners clearly doesn't mind making money so they're obviously being very careful with this title for other reasons. I respect their predicament and hope they can navigate whatever issues are required to release the movie in a format that matches Warner's current high standards.

walter o

Supporting Actor
The Ken Russell films thats with Warner besides THE DEVILS are

THE BOY FRIEND
SAVAGE MESSIAH
LIZTOMANIA

while MGM/FOX controls

MUSIC LOVER
VALENTINO

so Warner can make a box set.

JackKay

Second Unit
John Hodson, Cool!

Now we must wait for the announcement.

I hope there are a lot of future thinking people who are setting up recorders in front of our aging film community and pressing record.

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
WOW! Well, they certainly weren't conservative with that artwork! Whoo! I wonder if this'll be the uncut version? Doesn't interest me that much, but this film is bound to have its share of fans, and I hope that they get what they deserve.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks