What's new

The Devil's Backbone... (1 Viewer)

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator
Is this worth buying sight unseen?

I've heard good things about the film, and I like the genre.

What is it similar to?

What is it better than (in the genre)?

What isn't it as good as (in the genre)?

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE is very worth purchasing in my opinion! It is one of my top 5 favorite films of last year, and is a truly creepy, disturbing, atmospheric, and excellent ghost story. It is better than THE SIXTH SENSE, and even greats such as THE OTHERS and THE CHANGELING. Well, at least in my opinion. It isn't better than THE SENTINEL or the original THE HAUNTING, but it comes pretty damn close. This film is superb, and I highly recommend it!

Brett C

Second Unit
I too have heard nothing but praise for this film and I can't wait to view the DVD...:)

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
It's on my top 5 of last year, too. I think it's a masterpiece. But it can't easily be described through comparisons to other ghost stories. It's a film about the willful perseverance against evil (fascism), and is as much about the relation between children and pop mythology as it is a horror movie. I really found it to be overwhelmingly powerful.

Mark

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Saw it in the theater and thought it was one of the best haunted "whatever" movies since Kubrick's THE SHINING. I found it far more enjoyable than THE SIXTH SENSE, THE OTHERS, and most every other attempt at horror in recent years.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
definitly buy it! the film is absolutely creepily fantastic.

do you mind if we discuss the actual film (haven't looked in movies for a discussion thread...)

One thing that really struck me are the many, many parallels to Lord of the Flies, from the boys names jaime/jack, simonet?/simon (the dead one), and then carlow would be the ralph analog, The image really sunk home when they used the wooden spears at the end, I couldn't help hearing in my head 'kill the pig, cut her throat, spill ehr guts.' it's not very obvious, but an outstanding addition for someone like me, what did others think of this. Also I think the most freaky thing for me about the ghost was the way he carried water for an area around him, it was very, very, creepy...

I havne't looked through the spare extras just yet, how do they compare with Spains version? how is the commentary?

The picture did seem to have grain not as heavily as AI but still agreat deal, is this an artistic decision or a result of the film stock used combined with the many dark scenes.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'll give it another recommendation. Rented it the other day as I'd never seen it and was very impressed. I'm of the opinion that Guillermo Del Toro should stay away from Hollywood as he seems to do his best work outside of the states - I doubt if any studio would have let him make the film as it is.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I was going to ask the same question. I see it has been answered with a resounding YES! Consider it bought.

Bruce

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
Horror fans will love this one. Columbia did a great job with it. It's almost like a Tales from the Darkside (or substitute any of those series) episode, only much better in terms of style, acting, effects, etc. :)

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
Man. Am I just too picky? I was a bit disappointed with this one, considering the hype. I liked Del Toro's earlier films and was psyched for this. But the ghost elements just weren't that scary. The main ghost is revealed too blunty and too often to be frightening. The gold subplot wasn't that interesting and the explanation for the boy's death was anti-climactic. Overall, worth a rental (it's not horrible, but not great either) instead of a blind purchase.

That said, Jacinto was hot!

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
I'll say it again, I really don't think it's fair to view The Devil's Backbone as a straight horror movie. There is a horror element there, but it's a lot more than that. If you go in expecting pure thrills and chills, you're likely to be disappointed--its main goal isn't to frighten you. Then again, people in this thread have been comparing it to The Shining and other such films, so it may play differently for everyone.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks