The Devils anyone?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin S, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Martin S

Martin S Stunt Coordinator

Any support for a release of Ken Russell's notorious THE DEVILS? This being an infamous classic, I'm surprised it's never come out.I heard in the U.S. it's never been show in it's full version. I think Warner's have the rights to it.

It's just begging to be rediscovered.

2. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Funny, I was going to start a thread about films people really want on DVD, but which will probably never happen. This was the film I was going to name myself as it is one of my most wanted titles.
    I only wish Warner would release this film uncut, but I very much doubt it as they has a policy of not releasing NC-17 or X rated films on DVD (ie:Eyes Wide Shut) [​IMG]

3. Gerard Priori

Gerard Priori Stunt Coordinator

Warner has never released the film uncut on video stateside and I doubt they will. I love the film and I have the UK VHS version, which is only missing one minute of footage. The UK tape is letterboxed but the aspect ratio is modified--it isn't presented in its full Panavision ratio. I'm hoping that Warner at least releases the DVD version over there. It may be our best hope sine their domestic policy with such material is appalling.

I imagine Warner won't call attention to themselves by restoring and releasing the film as it should be seen since there'd likely be an outcry of controversy (the film would never even get made in today's political climate). I'd love to be proven wrong about this, but it I remain skeptical.

-Jerry

4. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Got a vote here. This seemingly lost classic is in dire need of resurrection. It would be nice if Warner could get with the program.

5. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

I was lucky to see "the Devils" at a screening in the Directors Academy in Los Angeles and I also remember seeing it on VHS in the states. This film (Like Midnight Cowboy)received an X rating during the early days of the rating system, would it still receive an NC-17 rating if rated today?

On the other side, anyone know what was cut to give the film an R rating in the States?

6. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

The last I heard about this was that Warner had spend one million to completely restore this excellent film...but are unable to release it due to it's NC-17 status!
    Their studio policies also prevent the film from being licensed to another distributer.
    A shame!
    A saw a newly struck scope print of The Devils in the mid-'80's. It too was censored, but the film was at least 10 minutes longer than the current atrocious VHS version.
    One of my favorite films! [​IMG]

7. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

8. Stas T

Stas T Stunt Coordinator

Add me to the list of "Devils" fans eager for a DVD release of the British cut. This brilliant, disturbing movie has been on my list of top ten all-time favorites since I saw it over a decade ago, and an OAR DVD would be a welcome replacement for my MAR VHS (for some reason, the recent Warner tape release in the U.K. was modified to about 1:85 or so, except for the credit sequences, which are OAR), though this tape version is preferable to the full-frame P & S released by Warner here in the States.

This movie deserves a DVD release, and soon, while Ken Russell is still available to do a commentary track.

9. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Well I heard exactly the same thing as Bill, but that only prevents it from being released in R1, so there is still hope for non-US consumers.

It's just a case of Warner not tripping over themselves with unfeasibly stupid company policies.

*Sigh!*

10. Raymond Johnson

Raymond Johnson Stunt Coordinator

I'd lve to finnaly see this film uncut of course!
    The only version i can find is a 103 or 98mn(forgot the exact time listed) R rated version by WB on video.
    Not to mention since the film was shot in Panavision...it will look horrible in P&S.....so i don't want to sit through a hacked up censored P&S version of the film.
    Though sadly i may have to..unless anyone knows where to find a uncut copy &/or WS if avalible?
    So WB(& all studios)..throw out that dumb policy which prevents you from releasing films as they should originaly be seen. It's frustrating that studios(& others) come up with these dumb rules against certain ratings ect ect......when they are only ratings...quit worrying & leave the films alone. The world would be a better,more coherent place.