What's new

The Devil Wears Prada - quick review (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Just to get some relief from the summer blockbusters, I checked out some counter-programming with "The Devil Wears Prada" featuring Meryl Streep and Anne Hathaway in a story melding the classic fish-out-of-water with a basically good person being tempted by the good life, in this case, a career in high fashion at the cost of stepping over some bodies to get ahead of the rat race.

Meryl Streep's Miranda Priestly is a no-nonsense editor-in-chief of Runway magazine, a leading high fashion magazine, and while she is tough on her subordinates with strict standards and demanding expectations, Streep still allows just a bit of humanity to seep through her handling of Andrea (Anne Hathaway) and the choices that present themselves as Andrea progresses through her assignments, and the positioning of favored status in Miranda's eyes, at the cost of personal integrity. Andrea comes across as idealistic, and naive at the beginning of her career after college (through a stroke of luck and timing, finds her way into the 2nd assistant position for Miranda), but finds herself more and more entrenched in a world that she initially dismisses, and makes her question her own morals and decision-making process.

The film is a bit too easy on Andrea at times, as her ambition rarely truly fuels her ascent at Runway, but she's smart, seems amenable to playing the game after pushing that "don't care" boulder uphill one too many days and getting reprimanded as well. You can't help but root for Andrea, hoping she'll sidestep the landmines in her way, and remain true to herself, but the film's conclusion is not as satisfying as I had hoped, a little predictable, but still watchable for the performances of not only the leads, but the supporting cast as well.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I almost saw this as the second-half of my Sunday double feature. Instead I saw Superman Returns.

I now wish I'd picked Prada. :frowning:

JoshRas

Stunt Coordinator
I loved it and have seen it twice. I didnt think the end was predictable at all. During the last 20 mins or so of the movie I thought it could end up in a couple different directions. Lots of little comedic moments which I love in comedies rather than in-your-face comedy.

The actress who played Emily, also named Emily(last name eludes me), STOLE the movie.

If you're on the fence about seeing it, see it. My guilty pleasure of the summer.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Terrific little film. Completely entertaining from beginning to end.

:star::star::star:1/2

SteveJKo

Second Unit
Rented the DVD last night. I loved this film. The entire cast is excellent. If it wasn't for the fact that comedies tend to get ignored at Oscar time, I'd say we'd be seeing several nominations. Who knows, maybe we'll be seeing those nominations anyways!

Edit: Also I've got to say that in the few outdoor scenes, New York, possibly the world's most vertical city, looked fantastic in 'scope.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Does anyone know the name of the song/artist heard under the opening title sequence?

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
A great chick flick, my girls all loved it, Meryl plays a great villain, a lil too much like Crulella Devil though...

Jace_A

Second Unit
I thought Meryl was nothing like Cruella de Vil (aside from the hair). She barely spoke above a whisper the entire movie (whereas Cruella carried on like a meth addict), which made her all the more terrifying, but also gave Miranda a depth and vulnerability that actually didn't make you hate her and even understood her motivations. You could understand getting sucked into that bizarre world through her performance. I just wish the story itself were better told.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Finally watched this last night.

Streep is great, but that is just one of the MANY problems this film has.

I have a feeling Miranda is supposed to be really hateful. But, Streep does her so well, I actually LIKE her. Add the scenes of sympathy as her marriage falls apart and she becomes more human.

But, the real problem with this film is that it can't decide if it's "Working Girl" or a cautionary tale. We're supposed to buy that Andrea really wants to be a writer, but we NEVER see her writing in the whole film. The closest she gets to doing anything about her writing is when she sleeps with the creepy freelancer (who practically rapes her, if you ask me).

She supposedly turns on her friends, but yet we see scenes with her excited friend who knows a lot about the fashion world and a scene where her friends love the presents she brings.

There is never a hint that she regrets what she is doing. They do a whole Pretty Woman thing that shows her learning how to dress and she works hard to become successful! To music!! It's filmed as a success story - so, why should I think it is bad?

And, I'm sorry, but the girl who walks away from a dream job with a nightmare boss (and a gateway to any job she wants) to go work as a piddly journalist at some local rag is not someone I'm going to root for. She could have easily left Miranda on good terms after Paris and gone to work for the New Yorker. She's an idiot.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i just watched today and agree with quentin on this.

i was into it though somewhat up until andrea got drunk in paris and slept with the guy with the creepy eyebrows.

very close to date rape, as she nearly said as much while it was about to happen.

other then stanly tucci and aquaman, i didnt care a little about anyone here.
i suppose it was suppose to be satire , but it didnt work for me.

must add that hathaways lips are the most beautiful in the movies i may have ever seen.
and stanley Tucci is one of the best and versatile actors out there now.
he needs to be recognized

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks