What's new

The devil made this chick do it..... (1 Viewer)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Manuela claims she learned about Satanism during a trip to Scotland and England in 1996. She met people interested in vampires in a club in London, where she said she learned to drink blood from voluntary donors
It's sickos like this who give all people who wear black a bad name.
I used to spend lots and lots of time in goth clubs here in SF, and I can assure you the only red liquid being consumed was wine! :laugh: There were many Pagans but no Satanists!
Mental illness belongs to no particular clique. I was often stopped by police when I had long black hair and piercings. I guess they assumed we all felt the same 'vampiric, murderous' instincts as described in the article.
[/end rant mode]
-J

Eve T

Supporting Actor
[rant]I have to agree with you Joseph. I am into gothic fashion and lifestyle but I have never nor would never think of doing such a terrible thing to another human being. I am constantly harrassed for not looking as people "think" I should look. I assure everyone that I am kind hearted person who wouldn't hurt a fly. Yes these people give us a bad name. You can't judge a book by it's cover is what I always say but if some psycho were to tell me that Satan was talking to them I would run like heck! YIKES.[/rant] I was once in a local shopping store when a girl scout approached me, she asked me if I would care to buy some girl scout cookies. I was deeply moved by her ability to look at me like I was just another ordinary person instead of shunning me as if I were some sort of Devil worshipping freak. I told her "I am about to teach you a very important lesson which I think you have already learned, never judge a book by it's cover, I'll take every box you have." I think she had a good day I know I did. :D

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
At first I thought that was a joke. Then I realized it was from Time. Wow!!! What a crazy story. I listen to a lot of death metal, black metal. But I dress normal and would never even consider tatooing an upside down cross to my head. Besides, I'd hate to cut my long hair!!!

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
a verdict is expected this week — any prison sentence will be served by the Rudas, not Satan.
:laugh:
Readers Digest had an interesting article on this sort of phenomena(not satanism per se, but piercing/dyeing hair/tatoos etc... ). The author concluded that these people would do better to distinguish themselves by doing something better than anyone rather than looking stranger than anyone.

Travis D

Second Unit
(sarcasm)Well, I'll bet they were watching some demonic movie and it moved them to kill people.(/sarcasm)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I read this in The (London) Times earlier in the week. The reporting was a mixture of disgust and incredulity.

I doubt if anyone will think that everyone who dresses oddly is a killer (other than those small town minded bigots who've always thought that, and whose darkest hour was when Senator McCarthy was finally kicked out of office).

The goths and pagans (not, I stress, satanists) I've met have always been pretty amiable creatures (a fair number were vegetarian). If someone wants to look like a member of the cadet branch of the Addams Family, then fine - it's a free world (or it should be). The couple of satanists I've met I have given a wide berth to - one because he was psychopathic and the other because he thought it was a fun thing to do (in a different age, I could see him in the Hitler Youth for a laugh).

Brad_W

Screenwriter
The reason why I hate when things like this happen is because the morons that write/read this stuff ALWAYS get it wrong. First, a pentagram is the sign of the witch in the Wiccan religion and it's a good sign not an "evil" one. It is NOT the sign of satan as the article proclaims. Also, the inverted cross is actually a christian symbol for one of the saints, NOT the sign of the Devil. Also, the article said that the "upside-down" cross was tattooed on her shaved head, but it looks to me that the cross is actually shaved on her head, not tattooed. I could be wrong and the inverted cross is tattooed under the shaving, but it doesn't look like it.

Yes they should be punished for what they did, but the media should do some research before they start their blabber about "the devil" and the "religion" surrounding it.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
First, a pentagram is the sign of the witch in the Wiccan religion and it's a good sign not an "evil" one. It is NOT the sign of satan as the article proclaims.
Actually, the pentagram did not used to be a sign of evil but as years have progressed it has become a sign of one. The inverted pentagram has been adopted by the church of Satan and is known throughout the world now as a sign of baphomat.

The Baphomet sigil or simply Baphomet has become the official symbol of The Church Of Satan, which was started by Anton Szandor La Vey in 1966. Satanists and pseudo-Satanists have used this sigil all over the world. It was the nineteenth century Occultist, Eliphas Lévi who first differentiated between the good and evil aspects of the five-pointed star or pentagram. Lévi envisioned two points down, as being magical in a good way, while one point down was indicative of the opposite magical reaction. Whether inverted or straight up, today's society views the pentagram as a symbol of evil.So you really can't blame the media in that aspect when referring to the pentagram. And ya the cross on her head does look like it's shaved there, not tatooed as mentioned by the media, and I don't think her haircut has anything to do with the crimes she commited. The whole thing that ticks me off about this is that people will look at you or I or anyone else that doesn't seem to "fit into the mold of temporary society" and think we harbor the same things inside of us that made them do such a terrible thing.

Peace,

Eve

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
I've had to deal with people judging me one way or another based on my appearance for ages. Some have been funny, like this intance that I mentioned in the Crazy Mall People thread...
At the time, I was dj'ing at a goth/industrial dance club in Anchorage, AK, and pretty much looked the part - 10-eye Doc Martens, black pants, a couple layers of black shirts, black leather jacket, and my hair was shaved on the bottom, with the top pulled into a ponytail that was 1/2 my natural red and 1/2 dyed black, plus a goatee that I'd let grow pretty long. As I'm stopped in one of the aisles getting whatever I needed, a dad and his probably about 4-year old kid were about 10 feet down from me. Suddenly the kid starts trying to get his dads attention. Right as I look over, the kid points right at me and asks, "Daddy - is that a bad guy?" :laugh: I thought it was funny, and so did dad, as he assured his son that he didn't think I was a bad guy at all. Gave me a big grin, though.
Others, however, haven't been nearly as amusing.
What's been getting to me lately is that during all the years I ran around with the goth/industrial scene, it was something of a matter of pride among us that we were very inclusive and tolerant of people who looked 'different' - all you had to do was look around at all of us to be convinced of that, right?
However, due to various factors in my life, many of which are job-related, I've shed the 'goth' image I used to have, cut my hair, trimmed my beard, and while I still dress primarily in black, it leans more towards slacks and button shirts than jeans and band t-shirts. And, now that I look like a normal...funny, but that inclusiveness that we prided ourselves on just doesn't seem to be there from the other side. It's frustrating for me - I still listen to the same music I used to, I am still interested in the same things I used to be, and I still find myself drawn to the same type of people when I see them walking down the street - however, it's so difficult getting most of them to acknowledge my existance, let alone get into a conversation, because they look through me just as fast as most people will look through anyone else outside of their clique. I've half seriously considered having buttons made up that say something like "I'm still a freak!" or something like that...;)
On the bright side, now that I've moved to Seattle and there's a bit more of a scene, I've started frequenting one of the local clubs that caters to the goth/industrial scene and have started meeting a few people through there. It just takes a bit longer...I suppose they need to see me show up a few times to make sure that I'm really there because I want to be, rather than just another 'norm' out to gaze at the 'freaks' for a night.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Goth Radar said:
Utter condescending rubbish if you ask me. :) It's just as important for young people to experiment with their appearance as it is to dabble in community service and civic activism (as the article appears to suggest). The formation of altruistic and open minded youth in our culture hinges just as much on their being able to look different, as it does with their ability to 'make a difference' in the larger community. Social identity is important to foster, and if these kids grow up thinking that they're being condescended to and not allowed to look a certain way, then their ability to give back to the community is going to be stunted.
Now that I think about it, I'm shocked I was able to get away with it for as long as I did and not get harrassed more in public. Sometimes I forget just how freaky I used to look. :D
But these two, the subject of the thread... they're just deranged lunatics, and perfect fodder for insulting statements like the Reader's Digest one. :)
Woody, good luck in Seattle. I have a friend up there (whom I haven't seen in years) who runs a goth club and a couple others originally from the bay area who now live there.. unfortunately that's all the info I have.
Cheers,
Joseph

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
Woody, good luck in Seattle. I have a friend up there (whom I haven't seen in years) who runs a goth club and a couple others originally from the bay area who now live there.. unfortunately that's all the info I have.
Thanks! Been enjoying it so far, that's for sure. As far as goth clubs in Seattle, there's all of three that I know of so far - The Vogue and The Mercury in Capitol Hill, and The Catwalk down in Pioneer Square. I've hit the Vogue and the Mercury so far, but have yet to hit the Catwalk - what I've found has been good, though, as as I mentioned in my last post, once the regulars figure out that you're not just there to gawk, they seem to be a bit friendlier. ;)

DarrinH

Second Unit
Buzzzzzz, wrong! the devil can not make you do anything! He can influence you, but your physical self (brain included) still has to make the decision to kill someone.

Thats a cop out!

If he could make you do things we would be living in hell itself now.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Kindergoths said:
My former fiance was a 'goth Christian.' They're prevalent in the 'non denominational' sects, and not to trample on anyone's toes (and to tread lightly with forum rules which I will try to abide by) an interesting hybrid of styles.
And I will leave it at that... :)
Joseph

Stephen_Opipari

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
You'll find me highly opinionated on the oft discussed 'what is goth?' subject.. I believe that 95% of the people who claim to have any background on the subject are full of absolute bollocks and don't have a leg to stand on. The new generation that moved in around '94, that of the rennaisance faire and role playing, well.. please don't get me started. It's an completely different animal and responsible for the mainstreaming of 'goth' that occured in the '90's.
That's pretty funny. I toally agree too. I used to be very heavily in the Detroit Goth scene in the very early 90's and jumped ship from the Goth social scene in the mid-90's when it got, well, phony from all the BS mentioned above. :frowning:
I still follow the Darkwave/Goth/Goth Rock music scene pretty closely, even though, IMHO it's crap compared to the early 90's. Acutally, I have found the Trance and Prog Trance have become my new crutch for the lack of good Darkwave. And, also have the 'gothic senses tingling' as we always say round here. :D I just don't 'look' the part anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks