What's new

THE DEVIL COMMANDS a DVD Release (1 Viewer)

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
According to DVD Drive-In, Columbia will be releasing the 1940 Karloff thriller The Devil Commands on 8/26/03 for a retail price of $24.95. More details to follow! This is the first time ever for this title on home video.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
That's great! Hopefully this will open the floodgates for the rest of the Columbia Karloff Mad Doctor films. Waiting and hoping...

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
That's kind of a high price for that one, though. They've got several similar films in their library (THE MAN THEY COULD NOT HANG, etc) which would lend themselves to double features. They should be selling two of these for $14.99 retail, not one for $25!

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
TOO FREAK-ING MUCH!

Saw this movie way back in the mid-70's on TV, and not since. Have always wanted to see it again!

Wow! First MGM gives us the restored '33 The Ghoul, then Warner the '32 Mystery in the Wax Museum and now Columbia comes through with this.

A good year for semi-obscure classic horror! Now if we can just get Dr. X...

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I don't mind that price point if they've restored the film and given it a good transfer so that I have a gorgeous disc in my library. But I'll concede that it's too much if they just slapped a VHS transfer onto a DVD. Still, I didn't think Columbia was even aware they had these pictures in their library, so it's good news in any event.

AlanBrom

Second Unit
The cover is up at DVD Drive-In right now. I'm gonna pick this one up for sure, but at $24.95 I'd wish they added a second Karloff "Mad Doctor" feature, especially since THE DEVIL COMMANDS is only 65 minutes. MGM's double horror features are in Best Buy for $10 bucks a pop, and we're talking first-rate transfers. But I do hope Columbia keeps digging deeper into their film library.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't mind seeing Karloff in THE BLACK ROOM on DVD as well.
Same here. THE BLACK ROOM is probably the best film Karloff did for Columbia, and he gives three wonderful performances in it. Plus, I love the film's fairy tale sets and rolling hill graveyard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks