What's new

The Devil And Daniel Webster? (1 Viewer)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Stop that gloating! :D
There are some of us still deprived of this wonderful film. :frowning:
But knowing it's firmly in Criterion's hands is certainly a relief. :)

Horatio Jones

Stunt Coordinator
wow I didn't even know it was coming to DVD, I loved this movie and was hoping there would be a DVD release.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Criterion's laserdisc edition restored 20 minutes of lost footage removed on its original release, along with an audio commentary by Bruce Eder.

They still have the same rare elements used for their laserdisc transfer, but are trying to search for better ones, as good quality elements with a bit of digital cleanup look a lot better than poor quality prints with tons of digital restoration.

They've confirmed that they'll be doing it in the future - it's only a question of when, and Criterion are quite the perfectionists when it comes to this sort of thing, so be prepared for a quite a wait.

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
Criterion is presently in the process of tracking down a recently-discovered, complete 35-mm print belonging to the William Dieterle estate, which reputedly includes footage not even included on the "restored" Criterion LD. :D
Count me as another who can't wait for this long-anticipated release. :D

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Are you serious?!
Whoa, I'm going have to sit down and catch my breath. Where did you find out this spectacular news? :D
Way to go on your sig, by the way. Written on the Wind is absolutely one of my all-time faves.

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
Serious as a deacon. :D
This information was brought to my attention some months back by fellow HTF member, John Morgan, who had heard this awhile back from an inside acquaintance of his prominent in the film restoration community. Since that time, I have been in contact with Criterion and Janus Films, who have both confirmed Mr. Morgan's statement. :D
Thanks for the sig compliment, btw. :)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Is it just me, or are Criterion hitting an all-time high right about now? :D
Many, many thanks for the info. That knowledge'll keep me warm at night (which is just as well...) :D

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
Let's cross our fingers they can track down this print. Supposedly, Mr. Morgan's acquaintance has put Criterion in the know as to it's location.
Waiting patiently in his warm bed at night...:D

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
As an aside, I've heard (actually from an e-mail from the Kino president a friend of mine received) that Kino and Criterion have teamed up to put out The Tin Drum at some stage in the future for an improved re-release to replace the OOP disc.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Back to DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER for a moment....How is it that Criterion is able to do this title? It was an RKO film and therefore now belongs to Warner Bros, which I had understood had a stringent policy against licensing titles. Anyone?

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Janus Films (which I think owns Criterion, or is corporately aligned in some fashion to them) owns this film. Janus has been distributing it for years. RKO sold off their rights to it years ago, decades before Turner purchased the RKO library, and Warner's subsequent distribution of Turner's product.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I believe it's the same situation with The Most Dangerous Game, is it not, or is that title just public domain?

Let's not forget Notorious, Rebecca or Spellbound which are all 100% RKO productions.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Great news about The Devil and Daniel Webster. I'm so excited!

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Jon may be right about THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME. I am not sure if it's P.D., and kind of doubt it is, as if that were the case there would be 400 different DVDs available of it :)
As to NOTORIOUS, yes, that was a 100% RKO production, except it was developed by David O. Selznick who couldn't afford to produce it at the time (he was in the midst of producing DUEL IN THE SUN) and Selznick sold the property to RKO who actually produced the film. Years later, he bought the rights back from them and it became part of his library. However, SPELLBOUND and REBECCA were NEVER associated with RKO in any way. They were Selznick productions originally released by United Artists. The reason why Buena Vista (Disney) has them now is that Selznick's library was sold in the 1960s to ABC. When ABC was purchased by Disney, the Selznick library fell under Disney's distribution control.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
wow the tin drum? heh, I wonder if Oklahoma will let it be shipped into the state (didn't they ban it because of the minor/adult sexuality?)

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks