What's new

Directors The DEVELOPMENT HELL TOURNAMENT (The Greatest Films that were never made) (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Star Trek 6: Starfleet Academy - the Bond film sounds like it would've been better than Never Say Never Again, but that's not saying much.

Tora Tora Tora!

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Tora Tora Tora

I'm not a Bond fan and Star Trek 6 is one of the best of the series so I like how it turned out.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

I agree - except that part about not being a Bond fan. :)

Abstain to avoid a tie - would've voted for Warhead

Tora Tora Tora! - Lean & Kurosawa is just too enticing.

Star Trek 6: Starfleet Academy over Warhead: James Bond of the Secret Service 3-2

Tora Tora Tora! over Nostromo 5-2

next

Night Skies
Dir: Steven Spielberg
sourse material: Screenplay by John Sayles
Summary: A Sci-Fi/horror film involves a family under siege by nasty Aliens. A darker spin on Close Encounters.
Other trivia: The concept was developed by Spielberg in the early 80’s. Many of the plot devices were used in E.T. & Poltergeist after Spielberg had a change of heart regarding the project.

vs.

Ghost Soldiers
Dir: Steven Spielberg
Cast: Tom Cruise
Source Material: Based on Hampton Sides' book. First draft of screenplay was written by Josh Friedman.
Summary:Ghost Soldiers is the name given to those who survived the Bataan Death March of World War II, and were held captive in a Japanese prison camp until ultimately being freed by Allied troops. From inhollywood.com

------------------------------------------------

Ronnie Rocket
Dir: David Lynch
Deformed youth able to conduct electricity is discovered by musicians who plug him into their “mains” & use him as an instrument. Set against a dystopian wasteland the musicians use Ronnies powers to fight the main baddie and his army of Donut-Men armed with cattle prods.
Other trivia: Imagine the look on the faces of those who got this idea pitched to them. :eek: :crazy: :confused:

vs.

Childhood’s End
Dir: Stanley Kubrick
Source Material: Novel by Arthur C. Clarke
Summary: Mankind’s evolution is shaped by devil-like beings called the Overlords, who return to earth in gigantic ships to usher in mankind’s destiny among the stars.
Other trivia: Was to be Kubrick's first choice before settling on making 2001:ASO. The rights to the novel could not be accuired.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Night Skies - Spielberg and Sayles? I'm there.

Childhood's End - Very tough.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Ghost Soldiers
Childhood's End, but I wouldn't mind seeing that Lynch film either :laugh:

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Ghost Soldiers

I'd probably rather see Childhood's End, but don't we have to consider that if Kubrick had made Childhood's End, then 2001 might not have been made (or at least in its current form)? This was also part of my consideration on the Night Skies--E.T. connection.

Ronnie Rocket

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

In this case yes.

My votes

I'd love to see both but I'd sacrifice E.T. & Poltergeist for Night Skies

Childhood’s End - RR wouldn't appeal to me & I'd just love to see Kubrick's take on this story even if it means no 2001:ASO. I know thats heresy around here. :D

Ghost Soldiers over Night Skies 5-3

Childhood’s End over Ronnie Rocket 5-2

next

The Tourist
Dir:?
Screenplay by Clair Noto
Summary: Serious Sci-Fi Noir film has a group of aliens in humanoid form living amongst us endeavor to find ways to return to their home world.
Other trivia: Reportedly a great script that had the misfortune of bad timing during its 2 attempts at development. E.T. & Starman took the steam out of the project in the 80’s & M.I.B. in the late 90’s.

vs.

I Am Legend
Dir: Ridley Scott
Source Material: Novel by Richard Matheson
Cast: Arnold Schwarzenegger or Mel Gibson or Michael Douglas or Daniel Day Lewis
Summary: Grim Post Apocalyptic Sci-Fi film has Robert Neville as the last human survivor in the world. The rest of humanity has been turned into something akin to vampires due to the result of Bio Warfare.

-----------------------------------------

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote
Dir: Terry Gilliam
Cast: Johnny Depp, Jean Rochefort (Quioxte)
Summary: A time-traveller (Depp) meets an elderly Quixote. Hilarity ensues.
Other trivia: Gilliam's struggles to make the film are documented in the film Lost in La Mancha.

vs.

Don Quixote
Dir: Orson Welles
Other trivia: Welles never completed this film though Jess Franco (of all people) "finished" it for him. Some of the Welles footage can be seen in the documentary Lost in La Mancha.

JenB

Screenwriter
Tough one-The Tourist sounds very interesting but I Am Legend also sounds fascinating.

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I Am Legend - Would love to see a faithful version of this.
Don Quixote

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks