What's new

"The Desperate Hours" Possible Paramount Blu? Here's a blast from the past. (1 Viewer)

lark144

Screenwriter
Real Name
mark gross
I was going to post this in the Paramount Blu-Ray request thread but I see that it has been closed. In any case, I posted a request the other day for THE DESPERATE HOURS (which would make an amazing Blu-ray if taken from the original 8 perf elements...well, one CAN dream) & just happened to see this LP cover on ebay, which is a view of Times Square looking uptown on 7th Avenue, with THE DESPERATE HOURS playing at one of my favorite theaters when I was a child, the Criterion. Anyway, this seemed like a fun thing to share.!

(I see that this photo is a little small on the page. Please click on the image & if you look on the far right you will see the Criterion marquee with THE DESPERATE HOURS prominently displayed!)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I was going to post this in the Paramount Blu-Ray request thread but I see that it has been closed. In any case, I posted a request the other day for THE DESPERATE HOURS (which would make an amazing Blu-ray if taken from the original 8 perf elements...well, one CAN dream) & just happened to see this LP cover on ebay, which is a view of Times Square looking uptown on 7th Avenue, with THE DESPERATE HOURS playing at one of my favorite theaters when I was a child, the Criterion. Anyway, this seemed like a fun thing to share.!

(I see that this photo is a little small on the page. Please click on the image & if you look on the far right you will see the Criterion marquee with THE DESPERATE HOURS prominently displayed!)

Considering I was the solitary person to vote on it in the Paramount thread... :(

lark144

Screenwriter
Real Name
mark gross
Considering I was the solitary person to vote on it in the Paramount thread... :(
Gee, I was under the impression THE DESPERATE HOURS had received at least more than 2 votes. Such a beautiful film. And one of Bogie's last hurrahs. At least your heart's in the right place...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Here is the list I contributed to that thread copied straight from it:

Detective Story
The Heiress
A Place in the Sun
The Desperate Hours
The Court Jester
Li'l Abner
On a Clear Day You Can See Forever
Murder on the Orient Express
Day of the Locust

So you weren't the only one who wanted or requested it.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Here is the list I contributed to that thread copied straight from it...

So you weren't the only one who wanted or requested it.

I would have believed you without the need to provide evidence ;)

If you look at the final tally at the end of that thread, it's listed as having 1 vote. I knew I had voted for it, so I therefore assumed I was the only 1...

Last edited:

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Looks like "Desperate Hours" had one vote, but "The Desperate Hours" had nine. I've combined and the film wound up at # 43 on the final list that I will send to Ron. You are very much not alone :)

Picture1.png

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
A much more respectable showing. Thank you, Neil.

In the context of the poll, perhaps.

But in another context, given that this forum is available worldwide (to those with the knowledge, with an Internet connection, with the interest, etc.), we could also say that there are (only) 10 people on the planet who passionately want this film on Blu-Ray.

Instead of ending this post with a down note, I'll ask whether any of the other posters have heard the anecdote involving Bogart, Wyler, and Bogart's agent?

There is a scene in the film where Bogart has to rush down the stairs. Wyler was shooting take after take, and Bogart was tiring. Bogart talked to his agent (who must have been on the set). The agent told Wyler that Bogart was tiring. Wyler supposedly said "it's not that hard". The agent responded "then maybe you should try it". Bogart got the break/rest he was seeking.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I would like to see this one, as well as many other VistaVision titles from the Paramount catalog on blu-ray. I mentioned my appreciation of The Desperate Hours about 5 years ago on the VistaVision thread. I hope we get to see it!

lark144

Screenwriter
Real Name
mark gross
In the context of the poll, perhaps.

But in another context, given that this forum is available worldwide (to those with the knowledge, with an Internet connection, with the interest, etc.), we could also say that there are (only) 10 people on the planet who passionately want this film on Blu-Ray.

Instead of ending this post with a down note, I'll ask whether any of the other posters have heard the anecdote involving Bogart, Wyler, and Bogart's agent?

There is a scene in the film where Bogart has to rush down the stairs. Wyler was shooting take after take, and Bogart was tiring. Bogart talked to his agent (who must have been on the set). The agent told Wyler that Bogart was tiring. Wyler supposedly said "it's not that hard". The agent responded "then maybe you should try it". Bogart got the break/rest he was seeking.

Thanks Dave, that's a wonderful story. especially as William Wyler was famous in his day for filming 80 to 100 takes of actors running up and down staircases. Now in the climax of THE HEIRESS, for instance, those staircases get a pretty good workout that does create fairly intense emotions in a viewer, but I'm glad that Bogie got a break.

titch

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Would definitely purchase The Desperate Hours with Bogart, so make that 11 people. We've had a good run so far this year with the Warner Archive Bogart releases, as well as Criterion's In A Lonely Place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turok911
Recent bookmarks