What's new

The "designing the perfect subwoofer driver" thread... (2 Viewers)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Dan has said the HE10.1 will get it (but that will up the price on the kit a bit). The 10" driver not the tweeter though. He has told me the XBL^2 version of this 10" will be able to move a little more air than the pair of AV8 drivers do on the Kit281 :D
As for the others I haven't heard.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Wow Dustin, IIRC that would be almost tripling the linear excursion of the 10" driver. If I had waited a year to do my DIY speakers it would have been the HE12.1... but the 281s aren't bad either :)

VinhT

Second Unit
I just modeled a Linkwitz transformed Tumult with the specs on Acousitc Visions and I have a question. If you don't give the sub enough power to reach it's excursion limits, then is it necessary to have a rumble filter? I was thinking that since drivers in sealed boxes don't unload, perhaps a high pass would be unnecessary.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Vinh. IMO, you shouldn't have any rumble filter. Just adjust with the Q and Fc. a 2nd orfer filter adds considerable group delay. you can add a 1st order filter, but that may already be done with the buffer circuit (a first order filter with an Fc that usually ranges between 7-15hz depending on designer)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Dan has said the HE10.1 will get it (but that will up the price on the kit a bit). The 10" driver not the tweeter though. He has told me the XBL^2 version of this 10" will be able to move a little more air than the pair of AV8 drivers do on the Kit281
In my opinion, the application of XBL2 to upper-range drivers in ever more interesting than its use in sub drivers. Great news! :)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
In the email conversation I had with Dan he mentioned that Eminence is better tooled to implement XBL^2 but the manufacture of the compression tweeter wasn't, which is really too bad. A full XBL^2 HE10.1 would be neat.
I wonder how closely the output abilities of the compression tweeter are matched to the current Beta10 driver. If the current Beta10 can get to levels that max out the current compression tweeter that will be a major hinderence on the XBL^2 enabled versions dynamics :frowning:

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
What if Adire made and sold a high-end XBL tweeter? I can imagine such a product would be pretty competitve. Anyway I'm getting a bit off topic here, sorry.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
If the current Beta10 can get to levels that max out the current compression tweeter that will be a major hinderence on the XBL^2 enabled versions dynamics
Out of my league a bit here, but my guess is that the tweeter in the design would be quite padded down to match the level of the woofer anyway, so I'd think it should be able to keep up without straining.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Goody, I certainly hope you are right Jack. I've pretty much given up on thinking I'll get a Unity Horn setup anytime soon. But XBL^2 enabled HE10.1 monitors should be within reach in the not to distant future.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
What's the timeframe on the XBL2 HE10.1, Dustin? I was considering the 12.1, but this sounds interesting.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Well, well, well! I'm back and still no pre-order! Glad I didn't miss anything! :) I had a great time at CEDIA though. There's just not enough time to see everything. I did meet Greg Loewen (sp?), John Gordon of QSC, and a few other HTF members for dinner Wednesday night.
And I nailed down my first choice for HT receivers!
Brian

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Jack, no time frame mentioned in the emails. But for my purposes they have until summer of 2003 at the earliest ;)

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I think Mr. Wiggins and Dr. Hyre gave up after reading all the bad things John and Matt said about their new motor design. :D
Seth

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The new motor design is already in production though ;) The Brahma has been doing well.
I'm most anxious for the XBL^2 version of the HE10.1. Should make for a speaker that can excel in both home theater and much softer music reproduction.
Not sure if my next sub will be a Tumult or not. Might end up being too much money. Hopefully Adire will XBL^2 the Shiva and Tempest soon and bump them up to a level that will compete with the Stryke AV series.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Dustin,

Well, mine sure as hell will be! I've got the amp, the LT, a box (well, in my head!) and some cherry veneer!

Wait 'til you see the finish on my A/V-1+'s! I'll be doing my whole living room in it!

Brian

P.S. Shouldn't Dan be back tomorrow? Maybe we'll hear something!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks