The Denon Toaster...erm I mean the 2200...(and 2900?)

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Drew_W, May 14, 2004.

1. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

(This was covered in January, but since this player is now in more homes and because the thread title was rather generic I've started this thread).

So ok, that pretty much says it all. It takes only about 10 minutes to heat up a disc. I don't know if that makes it sound any better (you know, the whole idea that amps sound better when they're warm...maybe the same applies to CDs/DVDs?) but I wasn't expecting my DVD player to be adding heat to the rack. It's a stellar player for $500CND all in and a toaster to boot. Universal +1!

Anyone else experiencing the same? I had heard that the same happened with someone's 2900. If you do experience it, does it bother you?

(The edit was just finishing a thought I didn't finish in the opening parenthesized statement. The contents are otherwise as originally posted.

2. Mike Dickerson

Mike Dickerson Stunt Coordinator

Mike
    My 2900 gets hotter then my amps sometime, but it doesn't seem to care what the ambient temperature is, the heat is always the same. And yes, it takes about 10 min to happen.

3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

To date, every DVD player I've owned gets very warm. I've never measured the actual temp. but my 2200 Denon seems be a tad warmer than some of the others. Funny thing though is that when playing SACDs, it doesn't get near as warm....

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

How does a DVD look or "sound" any better when the disc gets heated up? You seem to be confusing the issue with how electronics perform their best when they've reached thermal stability — which takes only about a half hour.

But DVD players run hot. And it seems that this 2200 runs a bit too hot. Does anyone who bought a factory-fresh unit — as opposed to a refurb — experience this sort of heat from his or her 2200?

It sounds a bit extreme. And one has to wonder about the effects of the heat on a disc's ability to maintain its physical integrity.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Never really noticed my 2200, bought new, getting overly hot, even after extended periods of viewing.

6. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

I have had players that run hotter than my 2200.

7. Mike Gl

Mike Gl Stunt Coordinator

My Denon 2900 gets barely warm to the touch.

My Panasonic A310 operated much hotter and stopped functioning after 18 months. The top above the laser assembly was too hot to touch at the end of a two hour movie. I repaired it under an extended warranty and it continued to run very hot before it died the second time after another 12 months. Others reported similar problems, which led to a class action law suit that was settled several years ago.

8. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    My 2900 is barely warm to the touch after 3 hours of SACD playback. Is it generally the top of the cabinet that gets the warmest?

9. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

i'll forever remember the evenings we spent this past winter gathered 'round the ol' 2200

[​IMG]

10. Flasshe

Flasshe Agent

I just bought a 2200 a couple of weeks ago. I was shocked the first time I played through a whole movie on it and the disc almost burned my fingers. This player certainly runs hotter than any other I've owned, and I've owned lots (this is my first Denon though). I've even taken to making sure the player is turned off when I leave the house, so it won't burn it down.

--Rog

11. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Rog, you are not exaggerrating? Discs are that hot when you remove them from the player? I'd swap the unit out with another 2200 to see if it runs similarly hot.

The glue that holds together the laminate and data layers could soften up in that kind of heat.

One of my players makes discs warm to the touch, while the other two seem to have no effect.

12. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Crap I hate this...I had a reply written, but forgot to hit the Submit button. Argh.

Well to sum it up, my player gets too hot to the point I don't want to keep discs in there longer than I have to and I turn it off when I don't need to use it. I can't access the top of the player, but the front face plate gets quite warm. It's a great player, better than the Pioneer Elite 45A it replaced, but this heat issue has me a little concerned.

What's the likely cause of this heat? Is it worth calling Denon to see what they have to say about it?

13. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

14. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

The DVD player shouldn't be generating that much heat in the first place. It's in just as cramped a place in my rack as the player it replaced.

15. James W. Johnson

Drew , all DVD players (at least the 10 or so I have owned) run on the hot side..its perfectly normal.

If you don't want you 2200 , I am sure someone would gladly buy it off of you.

16. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

I like the player, the only con it has is this heat issue. Nevertheless, I know I'm going to move up another level anyways, so we'll see. When are the new Denon DVD players due out?

17. James W. Johnson

Drew, you probably just never payed attention to the heat on your past players...now you are dwelling on it.

I have been a hardcore HTer since 1998 and I have never had a DVD player or a DVD fail from heat...every single one of them has run hot.

Car CD players run hot as hell too...you could use the discs that are played in todays modern receivers as handwarmers. They were designed to handle the heat.

18. Flasshe

Flasshe Agent

Jack, I was exaggerating a little, but the discs do get hotter than any I've experienced from any other player. I am tempted to take your advice and bring it back to the dealer for an exchange, but I'll probably do some more experiments first. Aside from the heat issue, I really like this player.

--Rog

19. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    Is it generally the top of the cabinet that gets the warmest?

20. Flasshe

Flasshe Agent

Top and sides for me. I haven't checked the bottom. It's in a well-ventilated area.

--Rog