The Definitve Analysis of the Pacino/De Niro Debate

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew_Sch, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/simmons/020926.html
    Courtesy of the Sports Guy (it's the last question). I would have to agree with his decision and most of his rationale holds up for me, although I haven't seen Scarface or Midnight Run.

2. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I liked the analysis but I have to disagree on the memorable line part. "You talkin' to me?" is so much bigger than "Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in" (hell, I'm not even sure if that's the exact wording). It's cooler and it's from a better movie [​IMG]

3. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Andy, I agree one hundred percent there. I would even argue that, "Say hello to my lil' friend!!" has gotten more mileage in pop culture than that line.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Andrew! “You talkin’ to me?”
    Thanks for the link. [​IMG] Really enjoyed it

5. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Thanks for the link. Good read. But I'd have to go with Pacino.

6. Emilio

Emilio Auditioning

How can you judge pacino's career without seeing scarface?!?! you must got rent it immediatly

7. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    I'd probably go with DeNiro, but I totally disagree with his evaluation of "King of Comedy" vs. "Scarface." "King of Comedy" is regarded by many critics as one of the ten greatest US films of the 1980s. It's much better regarded than "Scarface," and I completely disagree that DeNiro did not "pull it off." I thought he was perfect in it.

Although a lot of people might think Dustin Hoffman could blow them both off the map, if we're talking about actors of that generation.

8. Terrell

Terrell Producer

9. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Yeah, Hoffman probably has them in range, though I think DeNiro and Pacino can go deeper within their stronger areas than Hoffman can in any of his.

I mean, Raging Bull and Taxi Driver, come on.

But both should not be considered all that limited. I think Pacino in Godfather 1 is a very subtle and detailed performance. One which hinges upon his ability to transform himself within the film rather drastically yet believably as well.

10. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

One screams with his mouth and one screams with his eyes.

11. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I had never read this columnist (Bill Simmons) before, and now I'm hooked! Check out his Cheers vs. Seinfeld analysis. Good stuff.

12. Karl Englebright

Karl Englebright Stunt Coordinator

13. Terrell

Terrell Producer

14. Kajs

Kajs Second Unit

15. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I didn't see any mention of Glengarry Glen Ross -- which is the movie where Pacino says, "Are you talking to me?" He gives it a slight spin at the end, just enough to be a quick wink to the audience, and it's hilarious.
    M.

16. rhett

rhett Supporting Actor

Quote:

One screams with his mouth and one screams with his eyes.

That is one of the best quotes I have ever heard, it is so true. I love both actors, but in all honsety, De Niro works much harder for the audience's emotion. He is subtle and really goes deep into the character he is portraying. He gets your attention by his dedication to detail (the quirks in his character in Awakenings, the blank stare in Taxi Driver, the innocent eyes in A Bronx Tale), while Pacino tends to resort to raising his voice to get your attention. He is great at being quiet, as proved in The Godfather, but think of all the unintentional yelling he does in Heat, Any Given Sunday and even Serpico. He just explodes many times out of nowehere, hitting the audience over the head with "you should be emotional right now!"

I consider both actors to be my favorite actors of all time, but I really do not think Pacino even compares with De Niro in terms of sheer acting skill. De Niro has such a varied amount of characters, where Pacino tends to retread over his more famous roles. Granted, De Niro has sold out with these horrible comedies (I am still trying to forget Showtime) but I do think his need for big money projects is justified. De Niro owns TriBeCa, and needs big money to find it. The major reason De Niro had an acting explosion in the late 80's and early 90's was to get his company off of the ground.

The Sports Guy failed to mention that De Niro has gone to great lengths in keeping New York as a place to develop Hollywood films. He also has the directing edge over Pacino, with the great A Bronx Tale.

I think Pacino may get more attention in his films, but it is because he yells to get it. De Niro works you over with silence, with the glint in his eye and the charm in his smile. I was reaffirmed by City by the Sea how great De Niro really is, the master of the stare.

And there is no question, "You talkin' to me" is EASILY the most famous line of the two actors, and dare I say one of the most famous lines of all time.

Thanks for the link, it was a great read.

17. Tim Abbott

Tim Abbott Second Unit

Tim
    Bill Simmons is one of the most entertaining columnists that I have ever read. Being from greater Boston, I can tell you that he has the pulse of every local sports fan around here. I've been hooked on his articles for sometime now. The mail bag has to be one of his best articles.

18. Terrell

Terrell Producer

19. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

20. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

Those who have not seen Midnight Run must go and rent it. As far as DeNiro and Comody goes, this is it. And yes, I agree with his final verdict. Although, I havn't seen scarface. But, I don't think that will change me opinion.