What's new

The Definitive Top 100 DVDs List - As chosen by you *RESULTS* (1 Viewer)

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Over the past several weeks, I have posted at a number of DVD web forums about this project to come up with a list of the 100 greatest DVD releases of all-time, including this very own Home Theater Forum.
Taking into account the quality of the movie AND the quality of the DVD (audio/video and supplements), nearly 1,000 people came up with lists of their top 10 favorite DVD releases.
The result is a diverse list, which is part mainstream, part classic cinema, part more obscure cinema. Tastes vary, but even with the wide range of choices, there were titles that appeared in many people's lists--the DVDs that stand out in people's minds as the best efforts from the studios to date.
I hope you will find the results interesting, as this project has taken a lot of time from a few individuals, namely myself. :)
But all the hours working on counting votes and calculating results, then coming up with something interesting or at least amusing to say about each of the Top 100 DVDs were worth it, I hope, as this has become the most definitive list of the online community's favorite DVDs and the most significant project of such an undertaking.
So here it is, the 100 Greatest DVD Releases of All Time as voted by you, the online community.
http://www.angelfire.com/dc/top100dvd/
Thank you for voting all of you who did and I hope you enjoy the final list!
-Luke

Darren Davis

Stunt Coordinator
this should definitely help a lot of us that are trying to expand out DVD libraries:D That's a lot of work you went through. Great job!

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Sorry about that - the site is temporarily unavailable. Apparently, lots of people hit it right away and that flash introduction movie I did (my first Flash effort and kind of lame at that) was too much bandwidth for Angelfire. I've taken down the flash movie (to be hosted elsewhere) so the site should be up and running once the 2 hours have passed.

I apologize for those of you who really want to know the results now. We'll just have to wait and hope it gets back up and running. Thanks for your patience.

Gordon Wakim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gordon
Luke,

Could you post this list on the HTF ? I tried your link and got a message from Angelfire that the bandwidth was exceeded.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, Gordon, but I'd rather just wait for the site to get back up and running again. I did a lot of writing on all of them, and I'd hate for all that time to be wasted because the site was temporarily down.
The site should be a lot more enjoyable than a list also. I apologize very much for this happening. It should be up and running in about 90 minutes now.
The one thing I ask is that nobody paste the list of the results since counting and everything did take a lot of work and I'd hate for it to go unnoticed.
Looks like the flash movie will have to go for now, at least until I can find a place that can host it. Should be fine without the flash movie there, even with lots of visits - I hope. And hope is a good thing. :)
Thanks for understanding!

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Woohoo! Site's TOTALLY back up and running. Should be fine now.
Check it out and let me know what you think of the results. I should have general approval though since this was a public poll, with the results based on the votes of the people, right? ;)
Take a look:
www.angelfire.com/dc/top100dvd/

Brian E

Screenwriter
Luke if you'd like I'd be willing to mirror the list on one of my domains. I won't host the flash movie, but I'll put the rest up and send you the url if you want. That way people will have a better chance of seeing it. All you'd have to do is email me a zip file with the html and graphics. Just email me first so I know it's coming.

Greg Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Luke, that was an interesting read. I decided to count how many I own on the list, 49 for me. Dang, almost half. Well, I'll be getting Moulin Rouge eventually, so that'll be half for me! :)
I liked the synopsis of each one, that must've taken you a while.
Kinda surprised to see some discs not on the list, like the 2-disc editions of Tarzan or Dinosaur, Talking Heads - stop making sense, Pink Floyd - The Wall, Three Kings. I hope they were at least runners ups.
All in all, a good representation of the dvd's we all seem to like so much.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
This is interesting, but I would have appreciated the synopses more if you'd cut out the editorializing, particularly with films like "Requiem For a Dream" that you clearly haven't seen.

Also, in the French Connection bit, it's "Robert Shaw," not CNN anchor Bernard Shaw (or playwright George Bernard Shaw).

Darren H

Second Unit
Great job, Luke. Your list has actually renewed my faith in the online DVD community. I worried that it would be dominated by action blockbusters, but seeing Rushmore: CC sneak in at #14 is a pleasant surprise, as is the inclusion of Passion of Joan of Arc, The Decalogue, 2001, Rear Window, and The Sweet Hereafter (all in my top 10 ;) ).
Great work.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps I should add a page with the next 20 "Honorable Mention" titles that just missed the cut? Good idea?

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Nice list, but I have to agree with the following comment:

This is interesting, but I would have appreciated the synopses more if you'd cut out the editorializing
I think your list would be better received if you left out your personal opinions.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Just a little note to say that I will be adding a page with the twenty or so that just missed the cut. Of course that will take some time, but it'll be up soon enough. Some of the ones mentioned that were surprising to be missing are included among those "Honorable Mention" titles. I'll see what I can do.
P.S. If you can find the original "Spartacus twikoff glitch" thread at DVD Talk, you'd see I was the one who explained the whole matter to the person who asked the question. :)

Dave Gilbert

Second Unit
Phenomenal job, Luke.
I, for one, enjoy the editorial aspect of the list. We tend to take ourselves far to seriously at times, and the tongue-in-cheek attitude was a much needed breath of fresh air. Many thanks for taking the time to put together such a well-executed and comprehensive list. :emoji_thumbsup:
Can't wait to see the honorable mentions.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Luke,

I know all about the twikoff glitch thread at DVDTalk. Im adia4625 over there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks