What's new

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
My VCI 2012 Edition of A CHRISTMAS CAROL Blu-Ray/DVD combo finally arrived in the mail this afternoon! I have already taken a number of screenshots, which I shall post sometime later, after I do the same for the 2005 Emerald Edition DVD.

In the meantime, there is something puzzling me a bit in regards to the aforementioned 2012 VCI set.
According to the liner notes, these are the extras that are included on the Blu-Ray and DVD:
PIC_0491.JPG

However, these are the extras that are actually on the DVD. There is also no sign of the listed 1939 Campbell Playhouse broadcast, starring Lionel Barrymore. I even checked the other Menu pages just to be sure that it wasn't hidden amongst those. The listed Bibliographic Essay by Fred Guida also appears to be absent:
dvd_snapshot_00.00_2014.10.21_14.27.01.jpg

Lest anyone may wonder whether the wrong edition VCI DVD wound up on the set that I received, here is a shot of my DVD, with the year 2012 clearly displayed right on the Disc:
PIC_0488.JPG

As I don't have access to our Blu-Ray Player at the moment, I cannot check the extras included on the Blu-Ray Disc at this time.

Any thoughts?

CHEERS! :)

******UPDATE******

I've checked the Blu-Ray extras, and they are identical to those on the DVD. Neither the 1939 Campbell Playhouse broadcast, starring Lionel Barrymore, nor the Bibliographic Essay by Fred Guida are anywhere to be found!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
As promised, here are a few Screenshot Comparisons between the 2005 Morningstar Emerald Edition and 2012 VCI DVD Releases!

2005 Morningstar Emerald Edition:
Note the four sided letterboxing around the opening credits!
dvd_snapshot_00.00.03_2014.10.21_16.19.51.jpg

dvd_snapshot_00.00.31_2014.10.21_16.20.55.jpg

Note the slightly cropped imaging, though the dialogue that's missing on the VCI discs is present here!
dvd_snapshot_01.09.16_2014.10.05_13.54.47.jpg

dvd_snapshot_01.25.58_2014.10.21_16.25.27.jpg

2012 VCI DVD (Note the different "Scrooge" Title Card):
Note that, unlike the Morningstar DVD, these opening credits have just two very thin borders on the sides!
dvd_snapshot_00.00.09_2014.10.21_14.28.57.jpg

dvd_snapshot_00.00.31_2014.10.21_14.29.47.jpg

Note the visibly less cropping here! Unfortunately, four words* of dialogue are missing from this scene!
dvd_snapshot_01.09.33_2014.10.21_15.42.24.jpg

dvd_snapshot_01.26.19_2014.10.21_14.36.07.jpg

* The four missing words uttered by Mrs. Dilber, the Housemaid (Kathleen Harrison) are "For reaching it out," which follows her "I certainly won't hold back my hand when I can get something in it" dialogue.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Why did VCI re-release this in 2012 minus the 60th Anniversary logo on the cover? They could have just kept the 6oth out there, the studios do that. Was there any significant additions to the 2012 release?

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Dr Griffin said:
Why did VCI re-release this in 2012 minus the 60th Anniversary logo on the cover? They could have just kept the 6oth out there, the studios do that. Was there any significant additions to the 2012 release?
They fixed an audio problem (a drop-out).

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Dr Griffin said:
No, and in fact, the booklet that was included with the 60th Anniversary release is NOT included in the 2012 issue. However, there was 8 seconds of dialogue missing on the 5.1 surround track (From 1:21:21-1:21:29.) for the '09 and '11 releases that was fixed for the 2012 version. To VCI's credit, this fix occurred due to them listening to feedback on the DVD Talk thread dedicated to this Blu-Ray/DVD Combo, though unfortunately, the four missing words of dialogue issue (Which, apparently dates back to the 2009 VCI Release!) was only discovered after the 2012 version was released.

CHEERS!

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Tony Bensley said:
My VCI 2012 Edition of A CHRISTMAS CAROL Blu-Ray/DVD combo finally arrived in the mail this afternoon! I have already taken a number of screenshots, which I shall post sometime later, after I do the same for the 2005 Emerald Edition DVD.

In the meantime, there is something puzzling me a bit in regards to the aforementioned 2012 VCI set.
According to the liner notes, these are the extras that are included on the Blu-Ray and DVD:
attachicon.gif
PIC_0491.JPG

However, these are the extras that are actually on the DVD. There is also no sign of the listed 1939 Campbell Playhouse broadcast, starring Lionel Barrymore. I even checked the other Menu pages just to be sure that it wasn't hidden amongst those. The listed Bibliographic Essay by Fred Guida also appears to be absent:
attachicon.gif
dvd_snapshot_00.00_2014.10.21_14.27.01.jpg

Lest anyone may wonder whether the wrong edition VCI DVD wound up on the set that I received, here is a shot of my DVD, with the year 2012 clearly displayed right on the Disc:
attachicon.gif
PIC_0488.JPG

As I don't have access to our Blu-Ray Player at the moment, I cannot check the extras included on the Blu-Ray Disc at this time.

Any thoughts?

Does that disc have "A Christmas Carol" on it? It appears to be a Special Features disc from a 2-disc DVD edition. The DVD in my 2012 edition is exactly what the cover says it is, as is the DVD in the 2009 VCI Blu-Ray set.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
davidmatychuk said:
Does that disc have "A Christmas Carol" on it? It appears to be a Special Features disc from a 2-disc DVD edition. The DVD in my 2012 edition is exactly what the cover says it is, as is the DVD in the 2009 VCI Blu-Ray set.
Hi Dave!

Indeed the DVD does have A CHRISTMAS CAROL, Dave! In fact, while I can see that the Blu-Ray Menu (This disc is also has 2012 clearly marked, as does the DVD!) has a fancier appearance, all of the extras also appear to be identical to that of my DVD!

Could this perhaps be yet another case of two differing versions, this time involving a pair of 2012 VCI Blu-Ray/DVD Combos? While I look forward to viewing the many other extras, that the 1939 Campbell's Radio presentation with Lionel Barrymore doesn't appear to be among these (Despite its listing on the Back Cover!) is a bit of a disappointment for me. Ah, well!

Tony

P.S. If anyone else owning the 2012 VCI Combo Set could clue me in as to whether the 1939 Campbell's "A Christmas Carol" Radio program is somehow cleverly hidden as an easter egg extra (Is that even done, anymore?), or if I must have a differing version, I would greatly appreciate this, as the more I think of it, the more it's really bugging me!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
aPhil said:
Image quality-wise, would you say that the 2012 Blu-ray is the best way to watch the film at the moment?
Hi Phil!

I'd say yes to the 2012 A CHRISTMAS CAROL Blu-Ray, with a couple of minor caveats:

1. There is a slight issue with missing frames, plus other, very slight encoding issues.

2. The four words of missing dialogue that I mentioned in a prior post.

As far as I can recall, neither of the above are issues on the 2005 Morningstar Emerald Edition DVD (Definitely not the second!), though the transfer isn't quite as sharp, and also has a bit of cropping by comparison to the 2012 VCI version.

CHEERS!

Tony

Note: When playing back the 2012 VCI Blu-Ray, the video setting needs to be something other than 24 Frame Movie playback. Otherwise, the visual playback is very choppy! Ironically, when scenes from the film are played among the extras, the opposite appears to be the case! I suppose that this also qualifies as a caveat!

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
Tony Bensley said:
Note: When playing back the 2012 VCI Blu-Ray, the video setting needs to be something other than 24 Frame Movie playback. Otherwise, the visual playback is very choppy! Ironically, when scenes from the film are played among the extras, the opposite appears to be the case! I suppose that this also qualifies as a caveat!

Thank you! Now I know that I'm safe sticking with my 2011 60th anniv. ed. I noted the need to switch off my player's 24fps mode too! I thought if this had been corrected for the 2012, I'd go ahead any buy it again... now I know there's no need! (I never use 5.1 audio options for older movies -- unless I have no choice -- so the 8 second audio drop-out is not an issue for me!)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Rob Mac said:
Yes, the Campbell radio show is on the bonus DVD of the VCI Diamond Edition combo set and shows up in the menu. It is not hidden as an easter egg.
Hi Rob!

Thanks for that tip!

With David Matychuk's previous post indicating that his 2012 VCI Set is exactly as advertised (I wish mine was!) on the Liner Notes, I can now narrow the lack of this extra on my 2012 VCI Set to one of two main possibilities:

1. The Campbell's Radio program was removed from the 2012 VCI Edition, and also from the liner notes on David's Set, or more likely...

2. VCI goofed on my particular 2012 DVD, and forgot to include the Radio Program.

The only other possibility that I can think of is that the Campbell's Radio program might have been removed from later pressings of the 2012 VCI Set, perhaps due to some legal copyright issue? Of course, there would still remain the question as to why the Bibliographic Essay by Fred Guida was also excised.

CHEERS!

Tony

P.S. I have sent an email inquiry to VCI regarding the discrepancy with the aforementioned Special Features, and will post the results of this!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Rob!

Thanks for that tip!

With David Matychuk's previous post indicating that his 2012 VCI Set is exactly as advertised (I wish mine was!) on the Liner Notes, I can now narrow the lack of this extra on my 2012 VCI Set to one of two main possibilities:

1. The Campbell's Radio program was removed from the 2012 VCI Edition, and also from the liner notes on David's Set, or more likely...

2. VCI goofed on my particular 2012 DVD, and forgot to include the Radio Program.

The only other possibility that I can think of is that the Campbell's Radio program might have been removed from later pressings of the 2012 VCI Set, perhaps due to some legal copyright issue? Of course, there would still remain the question as to why the Bibliographic Essay by Fred Guida was also excised.

CHEERS!

Tony

P.S. I have sent an email inquiry to VCI regarding the discrepancy with the aforementioned Special Features, and will post the results of this!
By the way, for those who may not be in the know, the above features are listed on VCI Entertainment's own website:
http://www.vcientertainment.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=655&path=59

This would appear to confirm my suspicions regarding possibility number 2!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I confess to feeling a bit Grinchy at the moment! Here's why:

A full week has now passed since my email inquiry with VCI Entertainment regarding the two listed DVD extras that are not included on my A CHRISTMAS CAROL Blu-Ray/DVD Combo set.

While I didn't necessarily expect to receive a replacement DVD containing these features, I DID expect VCI to extend the courtesy of a reply, with an explanation as to the whys or why nots in regards to this, or a "We're looking into it" response, at the very least! Honestly, am I asking too much, here?

VCI's apparent deeming of my inquiry as being unworthy of the courtesy of a reply has left me a bit frustrated!

I guess that I won't get to find out whether the Campbells "A Christmas Carol" Radio Program, starring Lionel Barrymore was left off of my DVD by mistake, or if some third party that holds the rights (IE. The Barrymore Family Estate?) to the program cried foul and VCI had to remove it from subsequent pressings; much less receive a replacement disc if it's the former! Nor will I get to share that information within this thread!

Should I receive a belated reply from VCI Entertainment, I'll be sure to post the results, but to be honest, I'm not very optimistic about that, at this point!

CHEERS! (If it's not entirely out of keeping with the situation!)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Mike Frezon said:
My experience with communications/responses with VCI Entertainment has been fine.

I suspect if you contacted them again you'll eventually get your answer. Responses don't always come as quickly as we want/demand them.

I certainly wouldn't sweat it.
Hi Mike!

Thank you very much! I've actually just messaged VCI on their Classic Films Facebook page, as I was advised on another thread of the possibility that the email address where I sent it the first time might be either defunct, or otherwise not necessarily presided over by someone from VCI. Apparently, it's usually the VCI owner who checks the messages on their VCI Facebook page, so I'll just have to wait and see!

Tony

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
VCI was very good with me about the 2011 Blu-Ray audio issue, responding very promptly, and sending me a new copy of the 2012 edition when they released it. Horizon Films was also good about sending me a proper length Blu-Ray of "Santa Claus Conquers The Martians" in 2012, but as I had already watched their shorter Blu-Ray version, I wasn't that thrilled to be watching something even longer and more gruelling so soon after. I know, I know, Christmas, I love it, but a man's got limits.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Mike!

Thank you very much! I've actually just messaged VCI on their Classic Films Facebook page, as I was advised on another thread of the possibility that the email address where I sent it the first time might be either defunct, or otherwise not necessarily presided over by someone from VCI. Apparently, it's usually the VCI owner who checks the messages on their VCI Facebook page, so I'll just have to wait and see!

Tony
As promised, here are the results of my inquiries:

In my case, instead of my 2012 A CHRISTMAS CAROL Blu-Ray/DVD combo containing the correct Bonus DVD, the 2012 standalone DVD version that has the identical features of the Blu-Ray was inserted, instead. My customer service experience (Via Facebook messaging.) differed somewhat from David Matychuk's, owing to the fact that video piracy has become rather sophisticated as of late, even to the extent of utilizing shrink wrap machines and security labels! I've been advised by VCI that they are currently researching the remaining stock based on my claim, as I was apparently the first person to complain about the wrong DVD having been inserted in the Blu-Ray/DVD combo pack!

If/when I hear anything further in regards to this, I'll post the results!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks