What's new

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I watched the film this past week. I actually feel like I didn’t watch it last year for some reason. Made sure to get it in this year though!!!

Any news on a UHd release? : )

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I watched the film this past week. I actually feel like I didn’t watch it last year for some reason. Made sure to get it in this year though!!!

Any news on a UHd release? : )
I doubt it, since we can't seem to even get a great Blu-ray version because the folks with access to the best materials don't think there's enough market for it. Making a 4K transfer from an inferior source would be a waste. Then again, we've seen upscaled Blu-rays of things shot on NTSC video, so I suppose anything is possible, if not warranted.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I doubt it, since we can't seem to even get a great Blu-ray version because the folks with access to the best materials don't think there's enough market for it. Making a 4K transfer from an inferior source would be a waste. Then again, we've seen upscaled Blu-rays of things shot on NTSC video, so I suppose anything is possible, if not warranted.
Sad, but true. The 2011/2012 VCI Blu-ray releases remain the best in that format. Unless somebody at BFI wises up (A Blu-ray release would only get a handful of sales? Puhlease!), it'll likely remain that way! :(

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Sad, but true. The 2011/2012 VCI Blu-ray releases remain the best in that format. Unless somebody at BFI wises up (A Blu-ray release would only get a handful of sales? Puhlease!), it'll likely remain that way! :(

A Criterion Blu-Ray of "A Christmas Carol" would be the best-selling Blu-Ray they ever released.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I'm ashamed to admit I haven't watched this yet. I've owned it on Blu-ray for maybe 4-5 years but it always slips through the cracks. I'll have to make sure to watch it finally in the next 6 days.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm ashamed to admit I haven't watched this yet. I've owned it on Blu-ray for maybe 4-5 years but it always slips through the cracks. I'll have to make sure to watch it finally in the next 6 days.
I envy you, because you're in for a bountiful Christmas treat! Now, I cannot recommend highly enough your viewing of this before you dot another i! ;)

CHEERS! :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
giphy.gif

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I finally watched it a few days ago. Of the few adaptations I had previously seen, the Muppet one was by far my favorite, but now I think this one is the best. It really lived up to Leonard Maltin's hype! I can't believe I let it sit on my shelf for half a decade without a watch. I'll definitely be watching it every year from now on!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I finally watched it a few days ago. Of the few adaptations I had previously seen, the Muppet one was by far my favorite, but now I think this one is the best. It really lived up to Leonard Maltin's hype! I can't believe I let it sit on my shelf for half a decade without a watch. I'll definitely be watching it every year from now on!
Watching the muppet one right now!!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tony Bensley and I are not the only Canadians who feel like we do about this movie:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/scrooge-ala...1MkjF-fkkKzxcQzH29E1nf81_GUQbMRHNWzm5BsSOKBb0
Thank you very much for sharing this, David! It's also great knowing one of the players hasn't yet shed their earthly coil! A very well written article, save for the unfortunate typo regarding the year SCROOGED was released (Sorry, but it was 1988, not 1998!).

P.S. Here's the listed airings for Canadian viewers: https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/4724213/holiday-xmas-tv-schedule-2018-canada/amp/

Take note of the following: The incorrect 1965 year listing, and CTV 1 is airing A CHRISTMAS CAROL at 12:30 AM EST on the 25th, not 1:30 AM on the 24th. Other than that, no problem (That I'm aware of!)! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Thank you very much for sharing this, David! It's also great knowing one of the players hasn't yet shed their earthly coil! A very well written article, save for the unfortunate typo regarding the year SCROOGED was released (Sorry, but it was 1988, not 1998!).

According to IMDB, the boy sent to buy the prize turkey (David Hannaford) is alive. (David Hannaford plays the boy, not the turkey.)

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Another satisfied customer. :D

tumblr_mf7yzjTOKW1qdlf3ro1_r4_500.gif
It's funny, I've always loved The Muppet Christmas Carol, but now I feel like I'm cheating on it by loving this one so much.
Hopefully, we will move forward in the future and give Turkey's proper credit for their many contributions to filmmaking.
Yes, let us never forget the wonderful performance of the turkey from Christmas Vacation.
Turkey.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks