What's new

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Hi David!

I presume it is from this Laptop that you type your marvelous posts?

Here is my Acer Aspire Laptop from which I type my posts, and make my DVD screenshots, such as the ones from the A CHRISTMAS CAROL Emerald Edition DVD. No, it doesn't have 3D display!
PIC_0481.JPG

CHEERS! :)

Tony

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
IMG_1169.JPG

Here are all of the versions of "A Christmas Carol" that I have on commercially-available video formats, not one of which doesn't have some distinct feature that makes it essential to my collection. The laserdisc is of the 1938 MGM version with Reginald Owen, and it has the bonus featurettes that are on the DVD, plus a 1941 "The Night Before Christmas" Tom and Jerry cartoon I don't have on anything else. Top to bottom, the stack contains "Scrooged" (Bill Murray, Blu-Ray), "Scrooge" (Albert Finney, musical, Blu-Ray), "An American Christmas Carol" (Henry Winkler, Blu-Ray), "Disney's A Christmas Carol" (Jim Carrey, 3D Blu-Ray set), "The Muppet Christmas Carol" (Michael Caine, Blu-Ray), "A Christmas Carol" (George C. Scott, Blu-Ray), "A Christmas Carol" (Alastair Sim, 2012 VCI Blu-Ray/DVD), "A Christmas Carol" (Alastair Sim, 2011 VCI Blu-Ray/DVD), "A Christmas Carol" (Reginald Owen, DVD), "A Christmas Carol" (Patrick Stewart, 1999, DVD), "A Christmas Carol The Movie" (animated, 2001, DVD), "A Christmas Carol The Musical" (Kelsey Grammer, 2004, DVD), "A Christmas Carol" (Alastair Sim, VCI 2007 2 DVD set, also includes colourized version, and a 60 minute version of the 1935 Seymour Hicks version), "A Christmas Carol" (Alastair Sim, 1998 VCI/Roan Group DVD, also includes colourized version), "A Christmas Carol" (Alastair Sim, 2005 Emerald Edition DVD, also includes alternate "Scrooge" opening credits option), "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol" (animated, DVD), "The Muppet Christmas Carol" (Michael Caine, DVD includes extended version), "Scrooge" (Albert Finney, DVD also includes lovely optional 4-minute overture), "Scrooge" (Seymour Hicks, 1935 78-minute version, Image/Blackhawk Collection DVD), "Mickey's Christmas Carol" (animated, DVD), "Ebenezer" (Jack Palance, 1999 Western adaptation, DVD), and "A Christmas Past" (includes 1910 Edison silent version). That's a whole lot of Christmas Eve redemption!

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Tony Bensley said:
Hi David!

I presume it is from this Laptop that you type your marvelous posts?

Here is my Acer Aspire Laptop from which I type my posts, and make my DVD screenshots, such as the ones from the A CHRISTMAS CAROL Emerald Edition DVD. No, it doesn't have 3D display!
attachicon.gif
PIC_0481.JPG

Tony
Yes it is. I bought it after Christmas 2011, when it was more than 50% off its original price. I was looking for a laptop mostly so that I could Skype family members back east with my mom, and this filled the bill. The 3D function actually is a fun way to watch a 3D Blu-Ray, and I usually do buy 3D Blu-Ray versions of new movies just for that reason.

Kilgore

Agent
Real Name
Glen Morgan
davidmatychuk said:
And here's a link where you'll find more harsh words by yet another fellow Canadian:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-blu-ray-software/1194403-christmas-carol-1951-alastair-sim.html
Hey David, I'm the fellow Canadian who made this post on AVSForum way back when. If I recall, I originally had the Morningstar Emerald DVD, and never had any real issues with it. I then upgraded to the Morningstar Emerald Edition on Blu-ray and really didn't see a major upgrade in the Video department. I noticed a lot of dropped frames and such. The biggest issue I found were a lot of audio sync problems. I think it was just an early Blu-ray and had problems. Maybe the US version was better, I don't know. All I know is the one I bought was basically unwatchable. I since got rid of it. I bought the 2012 VCI Blu-ray version which was vastly superior.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Kilgore said:
Hey David, I'm the fellow Canadian who made this post on AVSForum way back when. If I recall, I originally had the Morningstar Emerald DVD, and never had any real issues with it. I then upgraded to the Morningstar Emerald Edition on Blu-ray and really didn't see a major upgrade in the Video department. I noticed a lot of dropped frames and such. The biggest issue I found were a lot of audio sync problems. I think it was just an early Blu-ray and had problems. Maybe the US version was better, I don't know. All I know is the one I bought was basically unwatchable. I since got rid of it. I bought the 2012 VCI Blu-ray version which was vastly superior.
Hi Kilgore!

At one time, I had considered purchasing the Emerald Edition Blu-Ray, but based on what I've read, especially from your posting, it appears that the DVD is actually better, overall!

I guess that you and David and I could be henceforth dubbed the "Canadian Connection," or "The Three Canucks" (Is that also the number of players left on the team that almost ended our Stanley Cup drought a few years back? ;) )!

In trying to think of a Canadian connection for the 1951 A CHRISTMAS CAROL, the only one that comes to mind is Patrick MacNee (Young Jacob Marley) in THE NEW AVENGERS, for which the last few episodes were shot in Toronto. I do recall having seen a Bank Of Montreal sign in one of these!

Anyway Kilgore, Welcome Aboard!

Tony

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving To You And David!

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Given how we Canadians have hijacked this part of an American forum, I like "Death From Above". Or is that too hostile for Christmas? Speaking of which, now that Canadian Thanksgiving is over, when is Canadian Christmas again?

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Two more Canadian Christmases, in my view, would be the 1987 "A Child's Christmas In Wales" and the 1983 "A Christmas Story", both of which combine establishing shots filmed in Wales and Ohio, respectively, with studio work filmed in Toronto. However, 2012's "A Christmas Story 2" was filmed entirely and unconvincingly in Vancouver, pretending to be Ohio. My buddy worked on it, but we remain friends. "Elf" (2003) is also secretly Canadian, combining New York establishing shots with Vancouver filming (for instance, the interiors of the department store were shot in the downtown flagship store of The Bay). [SIZE=14.4444446563721px]"Santa Clause 2" (they could have called it "Santa Clause 2002") was filmed in Vancouver as well, whatever American city it's supposed to be. I walk my dog [/SIZE][SIZE=14.4444446563721px]up to the high school they used in that one every couple of days; he's not being critical about the movie, and of course I pick up after him. "Santa Clause 3" (2006) was also done here in the same way, but come on, I only have one dog.[/SIZE] Another kind of secretly Canadian film is last year's "All Is Bright", which is mostly and obviously set in New York, but it begins and ends in a fake Quebec fabricated in U.S. locations. Turnabout is fair play, I guess.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Canadian cities always look like Canadian cities, to me. I never understand why they need to be New York or Philadelphia, or whatever other American city for which they never adequately substitute. I'm always taken out of the story, whenever they show street scenes of, obviously Canadian cities. Why not just set the story in Canada? It's some stupid Hollywood thing, among many stupid Hollywood things.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
TCM apparently no longer has the rights to broadcast this version of " A Christmas Carol" as a check of their December schedule shows that it is not being shown. They are still doing a night of Christmas Carol movies, but this one, unfortunately is not one of the ones being shown. More reason to get the blu ray.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Garysb said:
TCM apparently no longer has the rights to broadcast this version of " A Christmas Carol" as a check of their December schedule shows that it is not being shown. They are still doing a night of Christmas Carol movies, but this one, unfortunately is not one of the ones being shown. More reason to get the blu ray.
Hi Gary!

I thought that the Alastair Sim version was in the Public Domain?!?!? Hence, all of the DVD/Blu-Ray issues by VCI--A Public Domain company! Not to mention the many other companies that have issued this over the years!

Regardless of the whys and wheretofores in regards to TCM's decision to NOT broadcast the definitive version of A CHRISTMAS CAROL this year--WHAT A CRYING SHAME!!!!

Thank goodness for DVD's and Blu-Rays!

CHEERS!

Tony

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Gary!

I thought that the Alastair Sim version was in the Public Domain?!?!? Hence, all of the DVD/Blu-Ray issues by VCI--A Public Domain company! Not to mention the many other companies that have issued this over the years!

Regardless of the whys and wheretofores in regards to TCM's decision to NOT broadcast the definitive version of A CHRISTMAS CAROL this year--WHAT A CRYING SHAME!!!!

Thank goodness for DVD's and Blu-Rays!

CHEERS!

Tony

I am not sure about the copyright status of the 1951 version of "A Christmas Carol" Much like "Its A Wonderful Life" was thought to be in the public domain until the copyright owners asserted their claim that it was protected, this film was indeed released on multiple labels. It could be a regional thing where it was deemed in the public domain in some countries but not others. Unlike "Its a Wonderful Life" this film did not show up on multiple TV channels during the holiday season in the US.

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure SCROOGE/A CHRISTMAS CAROL (1951, Brian Desmond-Hurst) is not in the public domain... at least not in the U.S. I don't believe any home video company other than VCI has ever released it in the states... I know my first VHS copy from back in the 1980s was on VCI.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Garysb said:
I am not sure sure about the copyright status of the 1951 version of "A Christmas Carol" Much like "Its A Wonderful Life" was thought to be in the public domain until the copyright owners asserted their claim that it was protected, this film was indeed released on multiple labels. It could be a regional thing where it was deemed in the public domain in some countries but not others. Unlike "Its a Wonderful Life" this film did not show up on multiple TV channels during the holiday season in the US.
As long as I've been alive and aware (no jokes please), the Alastair Sim "A Christmas Carol" was shown on Christmas Eve on TV here in Vancouver, though as I recall, it was KVOS in nearby Bellingham, Washington that was doing it first. I'd seen it enough times by the time I was 11 years old to do an English accent as Scrooge in our Christmas school play. I told the impressed adults how I did it, of course.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Well, today was the earliest estimated day of arrival of my Import CDs (Via Amazon.ca.) order of the 2012 VCI Blu-Ray/DVD set, and it has NOT arrived!

Why my concern, you may ask? The only other occasion in which one of my Import CDs orders failed to arrive AHEAD of the earliest EDA, there ended up being some kind of customs holdup! :wub:

Also, while unrelated to this thread, as of today, my Bay City Books order (Also via Amazon.ca.) for the 1992 "Little Rascals/Our Gang" book has failed to arrive on the LAST estimated day of arrival! :angry: I really hope that nothing has happened to this order, as I've searched off and on over a decade for this, and decent quality copies that don't cost an arm and a leg don't show up online everyday, especially in my Native Canada!

These, on top of a pair of recent personal medically related bureaucratic issues ( :angry: :angry:) have left me in a real state this week!

Sorry about the extreme negativity of this post! Apart from our son's visit, I've had a really lousy week!

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Tony Bensley said:
Well, today was the earliest estimated day of arrival of my Import CDs (Via Amazon.ca.) order of the 2012 VCI Blu-Ray/DVD set, and it has NOT arrived!

Why my concern, you may ask? The only other occasion in which one of my Import CDs orders failed to arrive AHEAD of the earliest EDA, there ended up being some kind of customs holdup! :wub:

Also, while unrelated to this thread, as of today, my Bay City Books order (Also via Amazon.ca.) for the 1992 "Little Rascals/Our Gang" book has failed to arrive on the LAST estimated day of arrival! :angry: I really hope that nothing has happened to this order, as I've searched off and on over a decade for this, and decent quality copies that don't cost an arm and a leg don't show up online everyday, especially in my Native Canada!

These, on top of a pair of recent personal medically related bureaucratic issues ( :angry: :angry:) have left me in a real state this week!

Sorry about the extreme negativity of this post! Apart from our son's visit, I've had a really lousy week!
Sounds like somebody is ready for a visit from the Spirits of Canadian Bureaucracy Past, Present, and Future!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tony Bensley said:

Early this afternoon, I received a reply from the California based Bay City Books seller. This is what it said, in part:
"We shipped it via International Priority Mail which usually takes 4-8 working days; however, Canada shipments have averaged a 2-4 week delivery window this past year."

I strongly suspect that this also explains why my A CHRISTMAS CAROL Blu-Ray/DVD shipment from the also California based Import CDs did not arrive ahead of Amazon.ca's earliest estimated delivery date, as my past orders used to. Border tightening at U.S./Canada Customs would be my best guess as to why the longer delivery window for Canadians, as of late!

Therefore, for we Canadian HTF members; don't be surprised if your U.S. orders are taking noticeably longer to arrive than in years past!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tony Bensley said:
Early this afternoon, I received a reply from the California based Bay City Books seller. This is what it said, in part:
"We shipped it via International Priority Mail which usually takes 4-8 working days; however, Canada shipments have averaged a 2-4 week delivery window this past year."

I strongly suspect that this also explains why my A CHRISTMAS CAROL Blu-Ray/DVD shipment from the also California based Import CDs did not arrive ahead of Amazon.ca's earliest estimated delivery date, as my past orders used to. Border tightening at U.S./Canada Customs would be my best guess as to why the longer delivery window for Canadians, as of late!

Therefore, for we Canadian HTF members; don't be surprised if your U.S. orders are taking noticeably longer to arrive than in years past!

Well, my book finally arrived in the mail today, though the delivery was quite late, which led me to getting free shipping--Long story!

Now there's just the VCI 2012 Edition of A CHRISTMAS CAROL Blu-Ray/DVD combo left to wait for! This week, perhaps? Whenever I do receive this, I plan to do a screenshot comparison between the DVD version of this and the 2005 Emerald Edition DVD by Morningstar Entertainment (My PC isn't set up for Blu-Ray, unfortunately!), along with my opinions regarding the positive/negative aspects for each.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks