The Deer Hunter-Directors cut anywhere?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Duncan Jones, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Duncan Jones

Duncan Jones Extra

After watching this last night I got the impression that there is a longer version avaliable, in the wedding party scean De Niro meets a soldier (the Green Beret sargent) in the bar off from the dance floor where the wedding guests were dancing. I got the imresion there was more interplay between the soldier and De Niro's character.

Does anyone know what the original film ran for before editing? Is there a directors version or special edition due? I cant help feeling this film is long overdue for a Special Edition or Colectors Edition.

2. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I don't think there is a director's cut. Maybe some deleted scenes...

But I too think this DVD is long overdue for a special edition. I always figured that director Michael Cimino would be a recluse considering the way his later films were received, but this is not true. Cimino recently did interviews for an E! True Hollywood Story or a Profile or some other E show. I think he would be able to do a commentary track for Deer Hunter (and Thunderbolt and Lightfoot).

3. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    From Digital Bit's recent rumors, Warner Bros (Doesn't Universal own this?) is releasng an SE in July. I couldn't find any info about a director's cut on IMDb.

4. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Ugh. I can't believe I watched this last night and there's a thread on it today. You want it LONGER?! I could trim an hour off this baby easy, without losing anything. Too damn long! Do we need an hour of Russian Orthodox wedding? (No.)

Instead of DEER HUNTER, can we get YEAR OF THE DRAGON? Where's that Cimino film on DVD?!

But, now that I've seen DEER HUNTER I'm wondering whether or not I really liked YOTD, I can't remember.

THE DEER HUNTER won Oscars? Sheesh.

MC

5. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

I've been holding off for a Special Edition. This movie looks SO atrocious in TV airings, naturally in P&S, but even in widescreen it looks pretty awful. I've heard bad things about the DVD, so I'm not sure if maybe it can't look any better. But nonetheless, this deserves a Special Edition, and I'll wait for one.

6. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

In the U.S., Universal owns the movie. In R2, StudioCanal owns it, and has licensed it to WB. (It had been fully financed by the former EMI company, hence the split rights)

By all means, I'd love Cimino to come out of the cave and do commentaries for his greats, but what I would just die for would be proper OAR DVD releases of THE SICILLIAN (European cut) and SUNCHASER with Woody Harrelson. I think it's about time we bury all those mean-spirited jokes about his directorial excess and give him the reappraisal that he's long deserved.

7. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

8. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Any further updates anyone?

I'm on hold for a DEER HUNTER SE as well.

I noted the current "bones" edition is non-anamorphic. How's the transfer? (It's bound to become improved, however, on a new anamorphic SE/CE.)

9. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

10. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I personally think that The Deer Hunter is long enough as it is. As much as I would love to see a shortened wedding sequence, the fact remains that the scene helps to set up the very close relationship amongst the friends. Granted I want it shorter, but I can understand the length.

I would like to make a suggestion and say Criterion should do a special edition. After all, Universal does license titles from time to time. A cleaned up, anamorphic transfer would be nice.

11. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Sounds like a winner to me, Dome. [​IMG]

12. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

13. George Cifrancis

George Cifrancis Stunt Coordinator

George
    Speaking of "The Deer Hunter"... I was driving through Mingo Junction Ohio (where my father grew up and near where I lived in Steubenville, OH) and took a picture of some locations in Mingo where "The Deer Hunter" was filmed.
    It has been a while since I have seen the movie, but if memory serves this was the location of the opening shot...
    http://www.cifrancis.com/misc/mingo_dh.jpg
    Does anyone have the currently available DVD that can do a screen shot of the opening shot of that hill where the truck goes down so we can compare them?
    Thanks,

14. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

I've heard somewhere (sorry can't remember) that Anchor Bay were to have a hand in the supplements for the upcoming Warner R2 PAL Deer Hunter disc.

Perhaps the R1 release will be Anchor Bay - after all they have licenced titles from Universal before.

15. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Count me in for a SE of Year of the Dragon as well plus how about Heaven's Gate
    [​IMG]

16. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I was just searching for info on the - apparently NON-anamorphic, yet well-transfered DVD of Heaven's Gate when I found this thread.
    Go here for exciting news: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=146232
    It's out now, and if you have the hardware, the get this DVD - it is superb. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Gordy

17. Mark E J

Mark E J Second Unit

18. Alistair_M

Alistair_M Second Unit

19. Garry Cowell

Garry Cowell Stunt Coordinator

20. Maggi Magg

Maggi Magg Stunt Coordinator

On a resent region 2 re-release director Cimino talks both on the commentary and in an interview of a 3hour 45min cut of the movie.
    Does someone know what cut he´s refering to.
    Theatrical version of this film was 3hour 3min.(i think).

Cheers
    Maggi