What's new

The Deer Hunter 40th anniversary STUDIOCANAL 4K (1 Viewer)

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Gee I shut of The HDR off on the 4k disc and the image became brighter and better ,so you don't need a region free player
I am new to this HDR stuff ,and never had to do that before with any of my 4k titles

ghostwind

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bogdan
So will this be released in the US soon, or should I just get the UK version? I understand the Blu-ray won't play, but the 4K is region free?

ghostwind

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bogdan
4K UHD discs are region free ,while most Blue rays aren't no word of a US version

I see, thanks. Interesting - American director, American theme, no US release :) One of the best DeNiro films, and films from that day period. Shame.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I understand why some may feel that the wedding was altogether too long; yet, at the same time, I viewed it as a brilliant way of boiling down the essence of everyone's intermingling and long-standing relationships; both as individuals and as the collective within a community that has known each and all for a very long time. It felt organic and true; which, as far as wedding recreations go, is not an easy feat.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Even if they came from the same scan, there is no inherent reason two different encodings should have the same color. For each product, any number of different processes may have been applied in between the scan and the final mastering.

That is a valid question as one would think that at a given point in time there should be only one valid color timing.
Like for example with The Bridge on the River Kwai:

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x=397&y=94&d1=11471&d2=5222&s1=112953&s2=48750&l=0&i=0&go=1

Instead we mostly get a significant difference in timing which shows that directors / cinematographers intent does not seem to be very important. From what I have seen so far Sony has been the most consistent with how they timed their UHD releases while even high profile releases from other studios with the director being involved like the Nolan films or Blade Runner now look quite different.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
That is a valid question as one would think that at a given point in time there should be only one valid color timing.

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x=397&y=94&d1=11471&d2=5222&s1=112953&s2=48750&l=0&i=0&go=1

Instead we mostly get a significant difference in timing which shows that directors / cinematographers intent does not seem to be very important. From what I have seen so far Sony has been the most consistent with how they timed their UHD releases while even high profile releases from other studios with the director being involved like the Nolan films or Blade Runner now look quite different.
Timing is everything; even with color.:cool:

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin

The question that I had responded to seemed to be making the assumption that the images in different products coming from a single common film scan should all exhibit the same colors. But of course the color processing takes place after the scan, so there's room for infinite variance between final products, for better or worse... (and sadly, it's sometimes for worse...)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
"The Deer Hunter" was already well overdue for a better transfer;
but this bodes well and better than one could ever hope with the 4K/UHD movement in mind.
StudioCanal gets my vote and purchase;
although I will wait it out a bit in the hopes that the same package gets the nod for a Region-Free in America.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
The question that I had responded to seemed to be making the assumption that the images in different products coming from a single common film scan should all exhibit the same colors. But of course the color processing takes place after the scan, so there's room for infinite variance between final products, for better or worse... (and sadly, it's sometimes for worse...)

I guess it is a matter of interpretation as I read it to mean that it should have the same or at least similar color due to artistic integrity or vision if one could call it that. I think that most of us agree that this should be the case but apparently studios and creators often do NOT see it that way.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Just checked out the price on Amazon.
The Studio Canal 4K of "The Deer Hunter" is priced at $61.98.
This one went from Streep to Steep.
Gee, whiz; was this the original price, or was this a limited pressing that went through the roof?

Last edited:

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It's about $36 if ordered through Amazon UK. I only bought the remastered Blu-ray.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just checked out the price on Amazon.
The Studio Canal 4K of "The Deer Hunter" is priced at $61.98.
This one went from Streep to Steep.
Gee, whiz; was this the original price, or was this a limited pressing that went through the roof?

That's even one of the most expensive US Amazon 3rd Party. I'm seeing $51 from Movie Mars
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DDFX43H/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2BA4D4U3M3NVW&psc=1

Order the Amazon UK and it's approx $34. It should be $25 or less if it's like most SC releases if you don't mind waiting another 6-12 wks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks