What's new

The Deer Hunter 40th anniversary STUDIOCANAL 4K (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I received the Studiocanal 4K package of The Deer Hunter today. I'll have to wait a few weeks before I can see the whole film, so have been looking at the scenes of the deer hunt, after the wedding. I project in 4K on a 133 inch screen, without UHD turned on. I no longer have the Universal blu-ray to compare with, but the 4K restored version seems to have a few problems in the few scenes I chose. Of course, because the cinematographer was Vilmos Zsigmond, the film has a really gritty, grainy, ´70's look. In comparison to Close Encounters however, the grain doesn't seem to be properly resolved during these scenes - the mist during the deer hunt is full of noise. It's much worse on the blu-ray, but not eliminated on the 4K disc. There are also odd registration issues: Axel, who gets left behind after taking a leak by the side of the road, has a pink halo around his head. Otherwise, the colours seem very punched up. I wonder if this was how it looked originally? I never saw the film theatrically and I don't have time this month to see the whole film in its entirety. It would be interesting to hear what any of you seasoned film buffs, who can project in 4K, think? The review over at blu-ray.com is of the blu-ray on a mid-size TV screen and I'll wager that the picture artefacts are more obvious on large screens.

Otherwise the package itself seems impressive: 4 discs, including the 4K UHD and (region B-locked) blu-ray, both remastered and including a 5.1 soundtrack. There is an additional blu-ray with supplements carried over from the previous Studiocanal DVD, as well as the soundtrack on CD. The script that originally had nothing to do with the Vietnam War, called “The Man Who Came to Play” (written by Louis Garfinkle and Quinn K. Redeker), which was about Vegas and Russian Roulette, is included, plus a nice 60 page booklet and some black and white stills.

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I received the Studiocanal 4K package of The Deer Hunter today. I'll have to wait a few weeks before I can see the whole film, so have been looking at the scenes of the deer hunt, after the wedding. I project in 4K on a 133 inch screen, without UHD turned on. I no longer have the Universal blu-ray to compare with, but the 4K restored version seems to have a few problems in the few scenes I chose. Of course, because the cinematographer was Vilmos Zsigmond, the film has a really gritty, grainy, ´70's look. In comparison to Close Encounters however, the grain doesn't seem to be properly resolved during these scenes - the mist during the deer hunt is full of noise. It's much worse on the blu-ray, but not eliminated on the 4K disc. There are also odd registration issues: Axel, who gets left behind after taking a leak by the side of the road, has a pink halo around his head. Otherwise, the colours seem very punched up. I wonder if this was how it looked originally? I never saw the film theatrically and I don't have time this month to see the whole film in its entirety. It would be interesting to hear what any of you seasoned film buffs, who can project in 4K, think? The review over at blu-ray.com is of the blu-ray on a mid-size TV screen and I'll wager that the picture artefacts are more obvious on large screens.

Otherwise the package itself seems impressive: 4 discs, including the 4K UHD and (region B-locked) blu-ray, both remastered and including a 5.1 soundtrack. There is an additional blu-ray with supplements carried over from the previous Studiocanal DVD, as well as the soundtrack on CD. The script that originally had nothing to do with the Vietnam War, called “The Man Who Came to Play” (written by Louis Garfinkle and Quinn K. Redeker), which was about Vegas and Russian Roulette, is included, plus a nice 60 page booklet and some black and white stills.
the Blu ray is region locked, too?

Reactions: PMF

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
I received the Studiocanal 4K package of The Deer Hunter today. I'll have to wait a few weeks before I can see the whole film, so have been looking at the scenes of the deer hunt, after the wedding. I project in 4K on a 133 inch screen, without UHD turned on. I no longer have the Universal blu-ray to compare with, but the 4K restored version seems to have a few problems in the few scenes I chose. Of course, because the cinematographer was Vilmos Zsigmond, the film has a really gritty, grainy, ´70's look. In comparison to Close Encounters however, the grain doesn't seem to be properly resolved during these scenes - the mist during the deer hunt is full of noise. .
A user at blu-ray.com claims the HDR10 layer is bit starved due to the Dolby Vision layer. When watching in Dolby Vision with both layers it's supposed to look better. if that is true then SC needs to get a grip on their encoding and stop damaging the HDR10 layer when encoding for Dolby Vision. That is not acceptable that HDR10 is not optimised when watching it alone.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
My brother screened this in 70mm Dolby Stereo at the ABC Shaftsbury Ave in London and it looked and sounded fab.
They also had the only 35mm Dolby Stereo print around which was in Dolby Format 03 which had no surround track.
After the Premire Michael Cimino said that the sound was the best he had heard anywhere.

Last edited:

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I received the Studiocanal 4K package of The Deer Hunter today. I'll have to wait a few weeks before I can see the whole film.

Just curious, but why do you have to wait a few weeks before you can see the whole film?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
My brother screened this in 70mm Dolby Stereo at the ABC Shaftsbury Ave in London and it looked and sounded fab.
They also had the only 35mm Dolby Stereo print around which was in Dolby Format 03 which had no surround track.
After the Premire Michael Cimino said that the sound was the best he had heard anywhere.

I can imagine that it sounded really good but I have yet to see a version of the Deer Hunter that really looks good although the new UHD certainly looks the best of all the home video versions. I will either watch it in UHD or in 70mm when I get around to rewatch it in the future.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Just curious, but why do you have to wait a few weeks before you can see the whole film?
I travel long distance to work. My 4K home theatre set-up is 2000 miles away. Where I work, I just have with me a portable blu-ray player and I watch movies on a small flat-screen in my flat. I won't have three hours to sit down and watch the whole of The Deer Hunter projected in 4K for at least a month. So, at home I tend to watch all the big blockbusters and at work I watch all the Criterion art house, cult movies and vintage stuff that don't demand a huge screen. Works out pretty well.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I travel long distance to work. My 4K home theatre set-up is 2000 miles away. Where I work, I just have with me a portable blu-ray player and I watch movies on a small flat-screen in my flat. I won't have three hours to sit down and watch the whole of The Deer Hunter projected in 4K for at least a month. So, at home I tend to watch all the big blockbusters and at work I watch all the Criterion art house, cult movies and vintage stuff that don't demand a huge screen. Works out pretty well.

Got it. Sorry I felt compelled to ask you to explain it, but it makes sense and I understand now. Thanks for taking the time to do so.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I hope this new transfer of "The Deer Hunter" turns out to be greater than what has been alluded by Titch.
All groups, including StudioCanal, need to take 4K/UHD heed with our classic catalog titles
Or, to quote Michael, "One shot is what it's all about...I don't like surprises".

Last edited:

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
I found the New version on Blue Ray looked better than the 4k New version, The 4k HDR10 version looks
somewhat darker than the Blue Ray ,while its sharper ,I prefer the colors on the BR

I heard the Dolby vision Hdr on the disc is better ,I don't have a Player that does that

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I found the New version on Blue Ray looked better than the 4k New version, The 4k HDR10 version looks
somewhat darker than the Blue Ray ,while its sharper ,I prefer the colors on the BR

I heard the Dolby vision Hdr on the disc is better ,I don't have a Player that does that
Are you talking about the UK release on 4K disc? If so then which Blu-ray release are you referencing here?

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Sorry to those who liked it, but this is number one on my list of movies I would have to be tied up with a gun to my head to be forced to watch again. I remember it being the most boring flick I had ever seen up to that point. That wedding sequence!-_--_--_--_--_-! Actually if I saw it now again at my age, I probably would really fall asleep.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ha, yeah, I'm not a fan of it either (& I don't think William Goldman was, I seem to remember that he had harsh words for it in his book, Adventures In The Screen Trade). There was a very good radio interview with the producer Michael Deeley a few years back & I remember him talking about the wedding sequence, & much to the directors chagrin, he cut it right down, he said it went on forever, & how many times do you need to see a wrapped-up glass broken underfoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks