What's new

The Deep laserdisc (1 Viewer)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Was there ever a laserdisc of an expanded version of the Deep with Robert Shaw and Nick Nolte? I heard about it somewhere and I want it. Its supposed to run about 45 min (?) longer than the current 125 min.
If anyone has this or knows about it please let me know.
Thanks friends. :)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
There was some speculation from Columbia home video about releasing the expanded The Deep on the laser disc format but it never came to fruition. At one of Dave's prior studio days, the Columbia representative said The Deep DVD was not one of their bigger sellers so it was unlikely the expanded version would see the light of day on DVD anytime soon.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
According to IMDB, there is a 176 minute Columbia LD, catalog # 74776; however, I don't recall it ever being released. But now, I must start looking for it just in case it was.
------------------
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV
[Edited last by alan halvorson on October 22, 2001 at 12:06 PM]

Gunnar Syren

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gunnar Syrén
I ordered that disc as soon as it was announced and had it on backorder for God knows how long until it was absolutely clear that it would never see light of day.
Too bad...
frown.gif

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
As I recall Columbia never even bothered to release a widescreen disc of "The Deep". The only letterboxed version was a pricey Pioneer Special Edition disc (and the only special feature seemed to be the gold foil lettering on the cover).
It's no wonder Columbia never felt that it sold well.
-Lyle J.P.

Jo_C

Second Unit
For the record, folks...
The expanded version was originally pieced together by NBC, but instead ended up on ABC as one of their "two-part movie specials". Columbia/Tri-Star did intend to release this longer version on video, but as you might have figured out plans fell through.
The Pioneer Special Editions LaserDisc was a remaster of the original theatrical version with its stereo soundtrack.
For the time being, you'll have to be content with the theatrical cut now on DVD, or perhaps find someone who taped the longer version off ABC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks