The Decline of Western Civilization Part II?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Todd Stout, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

Has there ever been any news on a possible release of the 1988 film The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years on DVD? There appears to be quite a demand for this movie since used copies of the old VHS tape go for $40 and up and an apparent laserdisc release is impossble to find anywhere now. I sure would love to see this on DVD and I'm sure many others would as well.

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

And volume one, which is even more interesting! Black Flag, X, The Germs, Fear, Circle Jerks... come on!! Most people who have seen either of these have seen 3rd generation dubbed vhs copies.

I wonder about rights, I dont think anyone seems to know who even has the rights to these anymore.

I think there even was a part3, although I dunno if it ever got released. Something about homeless punk rock squatters on the streets of LA?

-V

3. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

Part 3 has never been released. I luckily have factory tapes of both and they are still in great shape. DVD releases would be nice.

--Ian

4. dmt

dmt Auditioning

i got pt. 1 on laserdisc.

find!

5. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Part 3 has been on the festival circuit and I think it was on Sundance or IFC. Part 2 is still owned by New Line, I think.

6. Mike Ackerman

Mike Ackerman Auditioning

I just noticed that Spheeris' Suburbia is scheduled for release on Tuesday.

[edit] Hmmm. I got that from Amazon, but this DVD clearly has been out for a while.

7. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Wow, I havent thought about this film in years. I would definitely pick up part 2 if it ever came out.

8. Aaron Cooke

Aaron Cooke Second Unit

Saw this (part 2)in the theater. The only thing i really remember about it was ozzy talking and just being so messed up that you couldn't understand a word he said.

9. LeeL

LeeL Stunt Coordinator

Truth be told, I thought Ozzy was pretty lucid in this one..if Sharon's around, he pretty much HAS to toe the line or else she'll tighten the leash just a liiiiiiiittle more (see 'The Dirt', a highly-entertaining 'bio' on Motley Crue for info on what he'd do if she wasn't around)..

The part for ME that sticks out is the interview with Chris Holmes in the pool...and his mom swilling vodka straight from the bottle poolside. That's metal... [​IMG]

10. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

i actually saw the first one in theaters.

11. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

I never saw Part II in the theater despite being a huge metal fan at the time (I guess I still am). I did buy the CD soundtrack though and there are some good tunes on it. I didn't get a chance to see the movie until it hit MTV (or was it VH1?) back in 1990. I have a VHS copy of the movie that looks okay but I'd love to have a laserdisc or better yet, a DVD!

12. chris larralde

chris larralde Stunt Coordinator

I saw part I in theaters and have been dying for a DVD release. I'd also like to see "X, the Untold Story".

13. dave wright

dave wright Agent

I saw part 1 at the ritz in new york with the false prophets opening!(nyhc band).
    ill also add a vote for getting the best music documentry ive ever seen to dvd-- X : THE UNHEARD MUSIC

-------dave from jersey

14. Dave-P

Dave-P Agent

Watch "Part II / The Metal Years" with "This is Spinal Tap," back to back. It gets hard to tell which film is "real" and which is the mockumentary.

15. Al Stuart

Al Stuart Stunt Coordinator

This is exactly the way I like to do it as well. I maanged to record Part II off of IFC onto a DVD-R. The quality was about that of a medium range LD. I think they do screen it once every few months.

16. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

What is IFC? I've never heard of that before. Is it a cable/satellite channel?

Edit:
    Oh... duh... I assume you mean this?
    http://www.ifctv.com/

17. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

guys,

I ran into Penelope and had to ask about these films and their possibility on DVD. It turns out they've been working on them for the past couple years and have pieced together a giant archive of unseen and unexpected materials-- she bought back the rights and a DVD release is pending!! They even shot a bunch of new stuff, interviews- all kinds of stuff.

The plan is all 3 volumes in a boxed set with a bonus disc or three...

While there is no official release date yet- they do have a website where you can sign up to get updates:
    http://declinemovies.com/

Figured I'd post an update.

-V

18. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Allright! That is great news, Vince. Ive only seen part 2, but would be interested in a boxed set of all 3 if the price was right! [​IMG]

19. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Spread the word, maybe if enough people sign up on the update list- they'll realize there is a demand for this set!

I also have an PO Box for Spheeris Films if anyone ever gets the desire to send a letter. From experience, a few well written letters can do wonders for getting projects moved off the back burner [​IMG]

-V

20. chris larralde

chris larralde Stunt Coordinator

Outstanding! I just signed up.