Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Title: The Death of Stalin

Tagline: In the Kremlin, no one can hear you scheme

Genre: Comedy, Drama, History

Director: Armando Iannucci

Cast: Steve Buscemi, Simon Russell Beale, Paddy Considine, Rupert Friend, Jason Isaacs, Olga Kurylenko, Michael Palin, Andrea Riseborough, Jeffrey Tambor, Paul Chahidi, Dermot Crowley, Paul Whitehouse, Adrian McLoughlin, Tom Brooke, Justin Edwards, Paul Ready, Yulya Muhrygina, Andrey Korzhenevskiy, Roger Ashton-Griffiths, Jeremy Limb, Andy Gathergood, Alexander Piskunov, Ruslav Neupokoev, Alla Bineeva, Nicholas Woodeson, Elaine Caxton, George Potts, Sylvestra Le Touzel, Nicholas Sidi, Jonny Phillips, Alex Harvey-Brown, Tim Steed, June Watson, Adam Shaw, Daniel Tuite, David Crow, Karl Johnson, Cara Horgan, Emilio Iannucci, Daniel Booroff, Dan Mersh, Richard Brake, James Barriscale, Daniel Tatarsky, Ricky Gabriellini, Eva Sayer, Diana Quick, Adam Ewan, Michael Ballard, Phil Deguara, Jonathan Aris, Katie McCreedy, Ewan Bailey, Leeroy Murray, Keely Smith, Sheng-Chien Tsai, Dave Wong, Sergey Korshkov, Alexander Grigorivev, Olga Dadukevich, Nastya Koshevatskaya, Danya Bochkov, Sebastian Aton, Nastya Karpenko, Gerald Lepkowski, Luke D'Silva, Daniel Chapple, Daniel Smith, Ellen Evans, Oleg Drach, Daniel Fearn

Release: 2017-10-20

Runtime: 107

Plot: The Death of Stalin delivers a brutally executed parody of Cold War Russia. When the tyrannical ruler Stalin dies, his hapless inner circle scrambles to come up with the next evolution of the revolution, but it's clear everyone is really out for themselves. Proof that comedy, like politics, is all in the execution.

The Death Of Stalin

The internal political landscape of 1950’s Soviet Russia takes on darkly comic form in a new film by Emmy award-winning and Oscar-nominated writer/director Armando Iannucci. In the days following Stalin’s collapse, his core team of ministers tussle for control; some want positive change in the Soviet Union, others have more sinister motives. Their one common trait? They’re all just desperately trying to remain alive. A film that combines comedy, drama, pathos and political manoeuvring, The Death of Stalin is a Quad and Main Journey production, directed by Armando Iannucci, and produced by Yann Zenou, Kevin Loader, Nicolas Duval Assakovsky, and Laurent Zeitoun.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The-Death-of-Stalin-movie-poster.jpg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
It's opening soon in Dallas. It's on my list. The NYT gave it a glowing review. It was nominated for Best Film by BAFTA.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I saw in through "alternative means", and can confirm, is one of the more darkly comedic films I've ever seen.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I saw this movie during the week with my MoviePass. I think it has a very particular sense of humor, and if you're not in the right mood for it, it won't work. To me, this is not a recommendation for a casual watch when someone merely feels like watching a movie, but rather, something only to be watched when one is specifically looking for this.

At first, it wasn't really working for me, but the few people scattered in the auditorium started getting into it, and their laughter was contagious. I think in many ways, the movie was sort of "Monty Python and the Russian Revolution". You have to be prepared for the idea that people in this film do not behave like normal human beings and the script sometimes seems to bend over backwards to give people an opportunity to be ridiculous. Compare that to something like "Dr. Strangelove," where the situations are ridiculous but are earnestly motivated - I don't feel the writers moving chess pieces around on the board when I watch Strangelove, but I could feel them working overtime here.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The JPod review contains information about a Stalinist twist in the film's release. Actor Jeff Tambor's face was prominent in early posters for the film. But he's recently been accused of sexual misconduct in real life. His photo was then removed from the posters and another actor's face photoshopped into the new posters. http://www.weeklystandard.com/the-death-of-stalin-postmortem-power-struggle/article/2012064

Definitely a manipulation worthy of Stalin, no?

death-of-stalin-posters-tambor.png

Last edited:
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maltby
Recent bookmarks