The Death of a Pioneer Elite 45TX

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Tim_R_H, May 24, 2003.

1. Tim_R_H

Tim_R_H Stunt Coordinator

Well I got my Elite 45TX on Wednesday and after setting my home theater speakers up for 7.1 surround sound I finally got to plug my new reciever in and try it out. I ran the auto calibration which is a very nice feature. Played about half of the Gladiator and was amazed at how much better it sounded than my old Kenwood 1080VR. I tried out some of the different music modes which were nice. Played some Ghost Recon on my X-Box an again was amazed at the sound difference. Then about five hours after I powered my new reciever up it shut down. I was never able to get it to power back up. Not even the standby light would come on. I was a little concerned because I had purchased the unit online but when I called the dealer last night and we tried to trouble shoot the problem with no success, they said they would have UPS pick it up from me on Tuesday and then ship me a new one. I must have gotten a lemon (faulty power supply I guess?)but it sure sounded nice while it was working and I can't wait to get my replacement.

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I guess it wouldn't be anything like a loose/defective power cord, accessable fuse, or the particular outlet, huh?

3. Lynn Little

Lynn Little Stunt Coordinator

Tim, what's the manufacture date on your 45TX? I heard of a guy whose display died. The manufacture date on his 45TX was April 2003.

The manufacture date on my 45TX is March 2003.

4. Tim_R_H

I would have to imagine that it was a faulty power supply since there was no electricity being passed through the unit but who knows.

The manufacture date was March 2003. I haven't read of many people having problems with the 45TX and it really sounded good to me so I'm not hesitating at all in staying with it.

5. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

Tim:

I think you'll be OK when you get the unit and be more than happy you stayed with the 45. I put mine through the same kind of testing to try to get it to die right after I got it(both of them).

You should do the same to the new one. I recommend 8 hours of music with the recevier set somewhere between -30 db to -25 db. After that crank her up.

Mike

6. Tim_R_H

I'm sure I will be happy with the reciever. I sure feel teased by getting to listen to it for 5 hours before it's demise. I didn't crank it up to extreme levels at all during the time I had it. The setup turns the volume to -0 for the test tones but other than that it was at pretty normal listening levels. I will definately keep the new one on for a good 8 hours when I first get it hopefully with a different outcome. The UPS guy just picked up the one that failed. I hope Soundpros is going ahead and shipping the new one out to me but I suspect they will wait until they get this one back. That would mean not getting it for around two weeks [​IMG] .

7. JimSpamoni

JimSpamoni Auditioning

Sounds like the people yuo bought it from were well versed and easy to deal with would you mind mentioning their site name?

I am looking to buy a 45tx online sometime during the next few weeks and would be good to know a vendor that is easy to deal with in case I have any problems.

JJ

8. Tim_R_H

Sure JimSpamoni...the company is www.Soundpros.com They are out of San Diego. So far I have been very impressed with them and would highly recommend them to anyone wanting to buy HT equipment online. They had one of the best prices I found on the Elite 45TX at $760.

9. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

I second SoundPros. I bought my 400 cd changer and monster cable line conditioner from them. the stuff arrived in 2 days, their customer service is always available (as opposed to taking permanent lunch breaks as many online dealers seem to...they must be really fat), and the shipping is first rate.

10. Andy Young

Andy Young Stunt Coordinator

NicholasL,

I don't mean to be a jerk, but you ought to remove your equipment list from your signature:

HTF Rules