The Deadly Spawn?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Kevin M, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I remember reading about this film in Fangoria around 1982 but I never got a chance to see it anywhere, not on tape or on cable.
    Anyway, it was released on DVD by SYNAPSE an I was wondering if anyone had seen this low budget film and if it was worth a blind buy...it isn't on Netflix.

bear in mind that I love schlocky low budget horror films.

2. Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough Second Unit

If you love schlocky low budget horror films then you'll LOVE The Deadly Spawn. The monster effects are actually pretty good for having such a low budget. It's nice and gorey at times too. I give it a [​IMG]

However, I heard that the DVD has NEW special effects added to it, so purists might be rather steamed by this. I don't have the DVD so I don't know the extent of this, but I'm still planning on getting it.

3. Mark Hammon

Mark Hammon Stunt Coordinator

I'd never seen it before and did a blind buy at $14.99. I wasn't all that thrilled. It was OK, but nothing special. It does have extras which I have not yet gone through. I wouldn't recommend it as a blind buy.

4. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Well I did a blind buy anyway and...yeah it's schlocky alright but it had all the things I love in a low budget Horror film, bad acting, bad writing, etc... yet it had some fairly nice creature FX...all in all if you get a kick out of something like, let's say Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things or Basket Case for the reasons above then you might want to check it out....but don't blame me afterwards.[​IMG]

....do you think they could have given the monsters any more teeth?[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

:: However, I heard that the DVD has NEW special effects added to it, so purists might be rather steamed by this.

The DVD has no new special effects, it's the exact same cut that was released in 1982, mastered from a brand new 16mm InterPositive that was made from the original 16mm negatives. There is an alternate version of the opening sequence with "enhanced" effects, but that's offered as a supplement, not integrated into the main feature, and for good reason. The "new" opening shot looks terrible.

Vincent

6. Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough Second Unit

Okay, thanks for the info.