"The Deadly Mantis" (1957) Universal - any DVDs?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Huffstutler, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    Any DVDs available of the atomic age big bug horror flick "The Deadly Mantis" from, Universal released in 1957?

2. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

No, not yet. Universal really needs to get on the ball and continue not only their "30s/40s horror classics", but also the '50s "science fiction classics". AND NOT ON INFERIOR DVD-18's.

3. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

My VHS of this bit the dust a month ago.[​IMG] I wish I had the box set on LD that included and MOLE PEOPLE, TARANTULA (sp?). For now, I still have my VHS of MONOLITH MONSTER and the others, but like you stated, it's MCA, so if they do a set, expect a DVD18 [​IMG]

4. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Yes, "MONOLITH MONSTER" is WAAAaaaayyyy over due!

5. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Isn't there a MST3K release of Deadly Mantis?

There is generally an option to watch the non-MST3K version.

6. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    The LD print is beautiful as are the other ones mentioned.

If they do, I'll bet they'll just be ported over.

7. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald

THE DEADLY MANTIS was indeed used for an episode of MST3K (early in Season 7, after the show's move to Sci-Fi Channel from Comedy Central). However, it hasn't been released on legit DVD, nor have any of the other Universal Studios films they've riffed, with the exception of THIS ISLAND EARTH (used for MST3K: THE MOVIE), once licensed to Image Entertainment for R1 DVD by Universal, though now long out-of-print.

Peering into my crystal ball, I predict we'll get a low-priced SCI-FI COLLECTION this August/September from Universal, on 2 or 3 DVD-18 discs with the same widespread playback problems (and no official disc replacement program) as have been the norm from this company, containing:

IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (1953) 81 minutes
    THIS ISLAND EARTH (1955) 86 minutes
    TARANTULA (1955) 80 minutes
    THE MOLE PEOPLE (1956) 78 minutes
    THE DEADLY MANTIS (1957) 78 minutes
    THE LAND UNKNOWN (1957, anamorphic 2.35:1) 78 minutes
    THE MONOLITH MONSTERS (1957) 77 minutes
    MONSTER ON THE CAMPUS (1958) 76 minutes
    INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN (1957) 81 minutes

--even though THIS ISLAND EARTH and INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN deserve stand-alone SE treatment, and despite the fact that IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE was already released individually as a nice DVD a few years ago. We'd be lucky if we got the bonus features from the earlier IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE disc, and a smattering of trailers (for some, but not all of the above films).

Not that I have any real info on Universal's DVD plans, just playing Criswell is all.

"Can you prove that it didn't happen?" [​IMG]

8. John Morgan

John Morgan Supporting Actor

John
    And although I would prefer having more of the 30s and 40s genre films, maybe Universal will do a horror 50s set that would include:

THE LEECH WOMAN
    CULT Of THE COBRA
    THING THAT COULDN'T DIE
    CURSE OF THE UNDEAD

I am assuming THE BLACK CASTLE and THE STRANGE DOOR may be in an upcoming Karloff set.

9. Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston Supporting Actor

Jack Theakston
    Universal makes some pretty strange marketing decisions. On one hand, they don't have out an edition of INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN, but on the other, they're not against putting out the Ma and Pa Kettle series (not that there's anything wrong with Ma and Pa K.)!

10. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN deserves a S.E. Glad I am not the only one who loves MONOLITH MONSTER. I should have bought that LD set when I had the chance![​IMG]

11. LaurenceGarvey

LaurenceGarvey Second Unit

Just a reminder that THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN is out (on anamorphic widescreen)on DVD in England, with TARANTULA! scheduled for release there in April. So yeah, a U.S. DVD release in 2006 is a probable.

12. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Yeah no doubt they will DVD 18 them, best bet with the Prices of DVD-R's is to buy the set and immediately transfer each film to DVD-R. It's my SOP on all Universal DVD18 product.

13. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Maybe we'll get lucky. Universal has received some bad publicity and complaints over their DVD-18 catastrophe, and even though they seem to act all ignorant and defiant when pressed for comment, I think they're aware that they screwed up.

14. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler
    Dave, I still don't understand what the problem with DVD-18? I mean it is a way to keep the costs down but personally I have had zero problems with it other than a small scratch that caused some pixelation. I cleaned the scratch off and the disc played fine. I am sure with the extra layers the laser has a harder time reading the deeper layers and anything that obstructs it be it fingerprint, scuff, cigarette film, etc...will cause a reading error. I give my discs the white glove treatment, no fingerprints and stored in a non-smoking dry enviroment.

15. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

It seems logical that Universal would release these titles in a Franchise Collection Set. Hopefully they will release MATINEE in a SE around the same time.

16. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Eric, I'm happy for you that you haven't (yet) run across any difficulties with DVD-18's. I too used to scoff at the whining about all sorts of incompatibility issues... mainly because I myself couldn't relate, as I never had any trouble either for quite some time. All my early DVD-18's played flawlessly on any machine on which I played them and so I thought people needed to just buy newer players. Trust me when I tell you that you never know. I too used to doubt the faulty nature of those things. Not anymore. [​IMG]

17. LaurenceGarvey

LaurenceGarvey Second Unit

Mr. Campbell: Play.com, Benson's World, and amazon.co.uk all say that TARANTULA! is not coming until later this spring. If you have it in stock, how do I order it directly from you??? Please email me at laughinggravy2000 at hotmail if you'd like. Thanks!

18. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

When these 1950's U-I sci-fi titles DO finally come out, I sure hope they are in the original, theatrical, director-approved, cinematographer-composed widescreen versions.

I know, I know. Except for those fortunate enough to have seen them in their original theatrical release, all subsequent 16mm prints and video masters have been full-frame. Isn't it time to finally correct that error?

19. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler
    Yes, I too hope that Universal will release them in Region 1 and their correct aspect ratio. The majors are sitting on many Sci-Fi and Horror flicks from the 1940s-1960s and especially the 1950s that has never seen the light of day on DVD.

Now is a good time for studios to push out their catalogs to get many titles not available before exposed to the mainstream public prior to Blu-Ray. Yes, it will take years for the transition and I don't personally plan on chucking my collection out the door to replace them with it but to supplement my collection in time.

Other majors can take a lesson from Warner and their aggressive sales campaigns as well as getting new older catalog titles out the door this year!

Eric

20. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Be nice if they went the extra mile and re-issued COLOSSAS: THE FORBIN PROJECT and ICEMAN in their OAR at the same time. They'd earn my loyalty back in a second.