The Dead Zone Season 4

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nicodemus, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Stunt Coordinator

So, it starts tonight. Anybody gonna watch?

I hope they're going to advance a little more rapidly on the Stillson arc and do a bit less standalone eps, although those have been surprisingly good in this show. Still, for me, season 3 was a disappointment because Stillson wasn't there enough.

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I'll be watching tonight. And you also nailed my 'problem' with the third season. I wanted more Stillson![​IMG]

One thing I love about the show is that they don't let their relatively small budget hinder them. For the amount of money that they have, their episodes look way more expensive. It's like 'the little show that could'.

3. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Id like to see more Stillson stuff as well but the single episode stories on this show are very good, and always advance the charectors involved in some way

capt

4. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

I'm probably alone here but I just want them to kill off Stillson (or neutralize him) and move on. We know he's evil, every time we see him we know he's going to do something evil, and we know he has to be stopped; so do it already. Maintaining the tension for a season is OK if you close the arc but not season after season with no end in sight.

5. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

When they end the Stillson story, they end the show.

6. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

The Stillson Arc is the point of the dead zone, its going to be around the entire show

capt

7. Wendy_L

Wendy_L Supporting Actor

I need to get caught up on Season 3 before I can start watching Season 4. I only have two episodes left from Season 3.

Has anyone that watches this show read the book? I haven't but I heard that the series follows the book more so than the Christopher Walken movie did, which is understandable.

I think this is a great show and I think Anthony Michael Hall is awesome in it...I'm so happy to see him get work again. But man, does he look different from his "Sixteen Candles" days!

8. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Stunt Coordinator

I thought that was a pretty good start - a bit typical and streamlined actionpiece occasionally but the last few scenes, especially the scene with son and father Stilson, were very powerful and promising. Guess we are not going to see Christopher Wey anymore. That's a shame but the story has to move on.

9. Rakesh.S

Rakesh.S Second Unit

I don't even remember what happened at the end of season 3..It's been a year.

I liked the season opener last night though. Anthony Michael Hall is brilliant...No idea why he can't get any movie roles.

10. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

I was pretty exhausted after the ECW PPV, but I caught the replay of this at midnight and was blown away. They turned everything on its head, but in a good way. My only fear is that they'll do a cop-out and just drop Wey altogether, which would be insane. I don't think they would do something like that, though.

11. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Anyone else like the new theme song? I was happy that they had a new shot of Bruce sans dreadlocks in the credit sequence. It's good to stay up to date[​IMG]

My favorite part from the episode was when Walt punched Sonny. "That's assault." It was probably a lot cornier than I want to admit but it was cool seeing Sonny finally get what he deserved!

12. Steve_Pannell

Steve_Pannell Supporting Actor

Steve
    I don't like the new theme song but I suppose I'll get used to it. I like the show too well to let a new theme bother me too much. (Kinda like Monk - I still despise the new theme song but I love the show.)

13. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

And Monk even made fun of the change in a episode. Wonder if they will somehow do a quick joke in DZ

capt

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Well, another season of The Dead Zone as come and gone. It's quite obvious that there are about 12-15 good episodes about Johnny Smith's cat-n-mouse game with Greg Stilson, unfortunately, that means most of the season are now padding for those apocalyptic episodes. I'd be surprised if this show returns next summer, more than 4 episodes deal with Stilson, and that means another 8 episodes of filler.

15. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I believe that this season is actually 22 episodes long. But USA has split the season in half (just like how Comedy Central has so many "NEW SEASON OF SOUTH PARK" [​IMG] ). I think they're doing a Christmas episode so I'd imagine the show will be back before Xmas. Then I assume they'd be back next summer too.

Anyway, I loved this episode. I liked this year's stand alone stories but they're never as interesting as the Stillson stuff. The main problem with the show is that they've seemed to have exceeded their budget. The shows they want to do are just too big given the amount of money they have. I think that's also another reason why we get so few Stillson episodes (even Purdy isn't usually around anymore unless it's a Stillson one).

16. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

The season has been pretty crappy, as the standalones have been pretty poor (I knew we might be in for trouble watching the very first of the standalones, "The Collector", replete with Johnny and Walt running slo-mo through explosions). Double Vision was the the one blow-away good standalone.

I still love how they turned everything on its head in the season premiere, and went in a much different direction than originally planned, which you can see from the origianl script for the season premiere here: http://home.comcast.net/~lmmhutch/am...ng_Point_2.pdf

Tonight's episode restored my faith, even though it is IMO only the fourth buy-worthy ep of the season. When they decided to drop the Wey and Future Johnny characters, and introduced Janus and whatever group he works for, it didn't seem like they quite knew where they were going. Based on how thorough tonight's ep was, they seem to have things mapped out pretty well now. Stillson has really been humanized this season, which is a totally different direction than they were going to go with him if you read the scrapped script for the season premiere.

While I actually like the new opening theme, the music this season has been mostly really cheesy and overbearing. I'm wondering if they had someone new scoring the episodes this season.

Oh well, bring on the Christmas episode, and then bring on the other half of the season, which I believe just wrapped shooting.

17. Rakesh.S

Rakesh.S Second Unit

As I said above, Anthony Michael Hall is brilliant, but this show really needs to wrap up at some point.

Season 3 was the high point..The mystery/suspense was there. Folks who've seen the movie/read the book know how it ends and they can only stall it for so long, unless they're planning on changing things around.

I hope that next season is the last season.

18. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Our run of season 4 will not start up here in Canada until Sept/Oct. Sounds like this season has split many fans based on the different direction taken this season.

Will season 5 be the last? By the time they play the cast will have been off for over a year. Maybe the plan is to close the series out with a two-parter movie.

19. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I could be way off but I thought on one of the DVDs, they said they planned on six or seven years. Let's face it, most successful shows seem to last that long now anyway.

20. Rakesh.S

Rakesh.S Second Unit

Oh yeah...they're probably going to shoot for 100 episodes, so they can make some $$$ off syndication.